1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving to 5.1 - what amp to use ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Nichop, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Nichop

Nichop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Folks, I currently have an Arcam A75 amp with Ruark Epilogue speakers and now want to move to 5.1. I whilst keeping good music quality.

My original plan was to go for the Arcam AVR250 or 300 but its too deep for my built-in cabinets. With limited depth my choice is limited.
    The Cambridge Audio 540R will easily fit so i'm wondering how much music quality I will loose switching from the Arcam amp to the CA or whether i'd do better keeping them both, the CA for AV work and the Arcam for music. Also if I do this, how would I connect up the front speakers to both amps ?

Alternatively I could move across to Cyrus AV8 etc but this is a much more expensive move and I seem to recall a few people on other threads saying the Ruarks don't match up to well with Cyrus.

Any thoughts/advice gratefully received.

Nick

2. ufitsy

ufitsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +334
  3. alphabet

alphabet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would suggest that you at least audition the CA 540R. It is good for AV and just as good in stereo mode.

I don't know how it will work with your speakers as I have mine paired with Mordaunt-Short Avant 900 speakers.

4. lewi

lewi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    ufitsy, Your link does not seem to work. I an getting an error message back

5. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    The easy way would to connect the cd player to your arcam amp and then use a swithc box for the speakers so that the av amp drives them for movies but with a flick of the switch you have arcam loveliness for stereo :D

Have you looked ar Rotel intergrateds? Not sure if they aree any smaller but worth looking at IMHO.

6. ufitsy

ufitsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +334
    The link above was closed due to a trading ban (not me may I add)

7. Nichop

Nichop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well i've been to listen to the Cyrus with my Ruarks and its great. Also listened to some EPOS M12.2s. WOW. Still a lot of money though. Thanks for the ideas. I will go check out the Rotel amps. Won't I loose some quality with a speaker switch or do you think its not enough to worry about ?

8. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Why not:

Get the 540r (or other a/v amp to your liking) connect only centre, rears & sub and A/V sources (DVD, Sat, what have you) to it - use preouts for fronts to your Arcam A75 amp, and connect CD directly to the Arcam (as is now!).

Some fiddling to find the correct levels (which you'll have to do anyway since you're buying a new Centre/Rears/Sub) and that's that.

That way you'll listen to music the way you've always done till now, and whenever you want to watch a DVD, on goes the 540r, set the Arcam to AUX (or what ever you choose) and enjoy - the only "fiddle" could be volume as you'de have to set the Arcam to your highest listening potential and adjust via the 540r.

EDIT: I've just read that "the Arcam chaps have put an AV processor switch into the design, which fixes the gain of the front channels for use with external multichannel processors." Perfect for what i mentioned before!!!