Question Moving speakers nearer to listening position

RobTi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
8412AA31-4866-4AC3-9CED-FBF730B701CC.jpeg hi at the moment I sit 3m away from my tv/projector which is situated on a chimney breast, my f/l speakers are at the moment sitting either side of the chimney breast, one on top of my units and the other on top of a sub that doesn’t get used.

Now I would like to bring them forward approx 30cm and sit them on proper speaker stands in front of the chimney, so would this make them to close too my listening position also I would lose the recommended 30* angle recommended angle for front speakers

Thanks

Last edited:
Personally I would be more worried about the compromised position of your centre speaker in the alcove in the chimney. If you want a flush finish then I would look to swap that out for an in wall speaker instead. Normal speakers are designed to work in free space and will interact with the alcove which will result in a loss of sound quality.
The amp will adjust for the movement of the L/R speakers forward so I see little issue with moving them as you want to do. In fact it should help the sound because again those speakers will not be sounding their best on the unit or sub since they are designed to be used on stands or speaker brackets.

Personally I would be more worried about the compromised position of your centre speaker in the alcove in the chimney. If you want a flush finish then I would look to swap that out for an in wall speaker instead. Normal speakers are designed to work in free space and will interact with the alcove which will result in a loss of sound quality.
The amp will adjust for the movement of the L/R speakers forward so I see little issue with moving them as you want to do. In fact it should help the sound because again those speakers will not be sounding their best on the unit or sub since they are designed to be used on stands or speaker brackets.
Thanks that centre was just a stop gap and if you say it’s okay with my speakers moving I will get a matching centre speakers stand as well, recommendations welcome

Atacama make some nice stands at reasonable money.

As above, no problems with bringing the speakers forward and will certainly benefit from being on stands at the same level. You have clarified the centres position and so all in all your sound should be fine.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom