Moving Sky + HD (quite far)

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by jonnym66, Dec 29, 2011.

1. jonnym66

jonnym66
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, I'm sure this question has been asked hundreds of times, but please bear with me -I have searched these forums and the web for quite some time but still need a little help.

I have Sky +HD in a back room, the Sky dish is attached to the wall on the outside of this room. The twin cable runs about 15m from the dish to my Sky HD box.

I'd like to move the Sky box to our (now decorated) main lounge which unfortunately is at the other end of the house. At the moment to get Sky in the lounge I have run a simple coax cable from the Sky box RF2 (in the back room) up into the roof space and down into the lounge via a magic eye -but the picture quality isnt great at all. The coax cable is about 25m-30m in length. I'm totally missing the HD quality.

What is the best way to get Sky HD moved approx 25m-30m into another room?

I was planning on buying about 30m of WF100 twin cable, attaching this to the twin cable already coming from the dish and running it to the lounge via the roofspace but I'm worried 30m of cable might degrade the quality and some HD channels may not work? Is amazon OK for buying such a cable?

Hopefully I don't need to move the dish?

Apologies for the long post. If you have read this far -thanks!!

2. Stevenage Neil

Stevenage Neil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +897
    The LNB, the box like thing on the end of the arm on the dish has four outputs. I take it, from your post, that you are currently only using two of them. Use your new cable to go directly from the dish to your lounge.

3. turanafon

turanafon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    WF100 good choice, either do as you said take the cable back out the wall join it to the wf100 and take it along outside to the wall where you want it to enter.

or as Stevenage Neil suggested, make new connections to the LNB

4. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,718
    As it's immediately outside the room that's a surprisingly large amount of cable.:confused:
    Anyway I'd leave it where it is and fix a new cable to the two spare LNB sockets as SN suggested, after checking here for the available types: The best coaxial Cable for Sky, Freesat, Freeview.

5. jonnym66

jonnym66
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the tips guys. I had a look at my dish today and there are indeed two spare sockets. I'll order up some cable and try to connect to these. I've come across some tutorials online for this.

Thanks again.

6. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,718
    That's OK and the link should have plenty of information on how to do it, as well as what to do it with.

7. jonnym66

jonnym66
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, today I moved my Sky+ HD box into my front lounge. I took the advice received here and attached a new set of twin cables to the LNB.

I bought 40m of WF100 twin cable from SatBuyer -excellent service and pretty reasonable prices.

I used about 30m of cable, I attached it to the two inner spare slots on the LNB. I had read its a good idea to use some vaseline or silicon grease on the inside of the F-connector connecting to the LNB, I didnt have either of these so just used a small spot of oil. I ran the cabling into my roofspace, along the roofspace and then down a conduit into my lounge. I kept the cabling as short as I could, around 30m I think, I removed any excess.

Sky has worked all afternoon, all HD channels seemed to work. Although I just got a 'No Signal found' error, and a blue screen with only sound! I waited for a while and the signal wouldnt come back. I switched the Sky off at the plug and back on again. Sky is back and seems to be working again.

I'm beginning to wonder if a cable from Sky dish to box of 30m in length is too long? Or I wonder could my LNB connections be loose -although I tightened them as much as I could...

Hopefully the signal doesnt drop regularly!!

8. MartinPickering

MartinPickering

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +507
    What does your cable supplier have to say? Does their excellent service and pretty reasonable prices include free technical advice? Did you use 'F' plugs that fitted correctly? Is your dish large enough for your location? Is your Digibox faulty?

9. jonnym66

jonnym66
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Technical advice via a Livechat was sketchy at best -very much scripted I suspect. Reasonable prices -are they? The F plugs are the correct type and I'm quite sure they are fitted correctly having followed Satcure guidance. My supplier fitted the dish originally so I assume its a suitable size. The digitbox had no faults prior to the move, I dont believe it has developed any since.

10. MartinPickering

MartinPickering

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +507
    Digitbox? It has fingers? ;)

In my experience, they frequently go wrong after being powered off and allowed to cool down. I had thousands of customers tell me "it was OK before we went on holiday" or "it was OK before we moved house" or "it was OK before the power cut".

You can't rule anything out without testing it - usually by substitution, since nobody has test equipment.

You'll find that "cheap" comes at a price. Companies that "stack em high and sell em cheap" have to cut costs somewhere and that usually means poor (or no) service when things go wrong. As with Amazon, it tends to be limited to "post it back and we'll send you another". That's nice but not always convenient.

11. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,718
    As you accepted guidance from one source I wonder why you chose to buy from another source.:confused:

On the problem, the weather here yesterday caused unusual reception conditions, so maybe that applied in your area too.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012