Moving Sky Glass TV to another house

mikeclark007

Hi all

I currently have Sky Q with 2 x mini Q boxes. My girlfriend has just started a Sky Glass subscription at her place with the 43” TV.

I was wondering if it’s possible to simply move the TV to my house as she spends more time here now. She’s committed contractually anyway so wondered if it was easy to just plug and play given it just works off the broadband. I’ll assume she will have to at least sign in with her account details.

teeveedee

AFAIK when a Glass TV is activated it logs the IP address of the customer’s home broadband network, so it’s unlikely to work elsewhere. It is against the Ts&Cs of the contract to use it away from the customer’s registered address anyway.

mikeclark007

AFAIK when a Glass TV is activated it logs the IP address of the customer’s home broadband network, so it’s unlikely to work elsewhere. It is against the Ts&Cs of the contract to use it away from the customer’s registered address anyway.

An right that makes sense. I didn’t think it was going to be possible to be honest but then I thought given you own the TV from the outset that there would be some flexibility.

D

Deleted member 901590

So if you chose to change your broadband, then you'd have to call them and re-register the new IP?

teeveedee

An right that makes sense. I didn’t think it was going to be possible to be honest but then I thought given you own the TV from the outset that there would be some flexibility.
The whole Glass eco-system seems to be very much a work in progress. Sky themselves don't seem to have much clue about how things work. You do own the TV but if you stop paying the actual Glass subscription then it becomes a pretty non-smart TV. You could then move it around between addresses as there is nothing linking the Sky TV service to the unit itself.
To be honest, Sky are so clueless that it wouldn't surprise me if you could actually move your girlfriend's Glass TV to your place, plug it in to your broadband and use it without any problem. I know some people who've tried using the pucks at different addresses and they haven't worked, but the main TV itself might be OK. Might be worth an experiment...

So if you chose to change your broadband, then you'd have to call them and re-register the new IP?
I presume so, yes. Or the TV would join the new broadband network, throw a wobbly and refuse to show anything until you called Sky. They then would probably get you to do a full reset on the TV so it logs your account with the new IP.

rs101

There's no links to the home ip address - there can't be, given that most residential broadband services don't come with static ip addresses. So moving it to a different broadband connection won't cause any issues at all.

It does track the ip addresses used to connect though - mainly to ensure that the pucks are being used at the same location as the Glass.

D

Deleted member 901590

mainly to ensure that the pucks are being used at the same location as the Glass.

Although if you live in a terraced house with a good bb connection and decent mesh wifi, I bet about two or three of your neighbours could run pucks off your network and Sky account and share the cost :)

rs101

Although if you live in a terraced house with a good bb connection and decent mesh wifi, I bet about two or three of your neighbours could run pucks off your network and Sky account and share the cost :)
And share the same playlists:confused: so your neighbours learn the sort of TV you like to watch...

teeveedee

There's no links to the home ip address - there can't be, given that most residential broadband services don't come with static ip addresses. So moving it to a different broadband connection won't cause any issues at all.

It does track the ip addresses used to connect though - mainly to ensure that the pucks are being used at the same location as the Glass.
That's why I reckon it's worth a try... but it does break the T's&C's of the Glass contract:

If you use any of the TV services anywhere other than your address or any other person does so using your account we may suspend certain subscription services, or we may charge you a separate subscription for use at that other address in accordance with clause 4.16 below. We use data received from compatible devices and network connections you use to access your TV Services to ensure you are only using your TV Services at your address and in accordance with clauses 4.4 below

4.4. You agree to use your TV services for your household's own private domestic enjoyment at your address only and not for any commercial or business purpose.

4.16. If you or any other person uses any of the TV services or your account anywhere other than your address we may charge you a separate subscription for use at that other address based on the price of your subscription at your address. We will notify you before applying that additional charge.

gibbletts

Hi all

I currently have Sky Q with 2 x mini Q boxes. My girlfriend has just started a Sky Glass subscription at her place with the 43” TV.

I was wondering if it’s possible to simply move the TV to my house as she spends more time here now. She’s committed contractually anyway so wondered if it was easy to just plug and play given it just works off the broadband. I’ll assume she will have to at least sign in with her account details.
Probably cheaper to return the glass tv and watch your sky q, if in the first 30 days.

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom