Moving room around so I can make it atmos-focussed. Advice needed

I'm not an Atmos expert - I decided that my space wasn't right for it - so I will defer to others here - but I believe the general view is that front heights should be above and in line with your Left and Right speakers..
completely wrong with the missinformation of having the heights in line with the fronts. another forum has debunked this fact and its all based on angles. they recommend 30-35 degrees.
this is from the top view like the above Dolby guide. and its also specified in the dolby atmos for home theater guidelines pdf which i can show you if you want.

Edit: Seems I need to slow down before I post comments. I can write a bit quickly before I notice some things. 😶

Last edited:
completely wrong with the missinformation of having the heights in line with the fronts. another forum has debunked this fact and its all based on angles. they recommend 30-35 degrees.
this is from the top view like the above Dolby guide. and its also specified in the dolby atmos for home theater guidelines pdf which i can show you if you want.
You don't need to show it to me. I'm fully aware of the Dolby Atmos guides. The key word here is "guide". I agree that in an ideal world you'd place any atmos speakers as per Dolby's "recommendations" in terms of angles etc...

However:

Most people aren't fortunate enough to have dedicated rooms/spaces where they can adhere to said "recommendations" to the letter/exactly. In a non dedicated space "compromises" have to often be made. Imo this does not detract from the overall enjoyment such system can bring to someone.

Is my system exactly to Dolby spec... no. Would it be if I could do it... yes.... Do I enjoy my system any less because I can't have a dedicated space.... certainly not.

As an aside. (Apologies if this sounds harsh):

From a personal perspective, I also find your posts come across as both "matter of fact", aggressive and condescending to anyone who doesn't (for whatever their reasons) follow AV guidelines to the letter in your opinion.

Nonetheless, I Do actually get (and respect) what you're saying and in essence it's true. But the way you convey it, doesn't sit right with me I'm afraid imo.

completely wrong with the missinformation of having the heights in line with the fronts.
Erm.....I literally say that I am deferring to others for comment. Suggesting that I am willfully spreading 'missinformation' is a bit bizarre.

It's as clear as day that the OP is setting up a new system and is not in a position to be cutting holes in his ceiling right now so is compromising with heights. Dolby - in the very document you refer to - explicitly say:-

'The left front height and right front height speakers should be mounted on the front wall (instead of on the ceiling) in line with an approximately 30 degrees horizontal from the center-front reference. This places the left front height and right front height speakers directly above the left and right speakers.'

Everyone knows that this is not the ideal set up for Atmos - it's a compromise - and in the circumstances I think it's a perfectly reasonable one.

At the end of the day we're just trying to help the OP here - so, given the above, where do you think he should put his Alteco's?

Those figures refer to the angles on the vertical axis not the horizontal axis. That's why those speakers specifically designed for wall mounted in the Atmos domain have the angle built in. There is no 'misinformation' involved whatsoever as Dolby have guidelines and not rules.

It would be wonderful if everyone had a dedicated cinema room and could follow the guidelines to the letter but the vast majority of us don't. Most will have to live with the restrictions of the rooms and make compromises to the speaker positions to suit that environment.

The information for placing wall mounted speakers in line with the front left and right is sound (pun not intended) advice because it will meet the criteria for the angles on the vertical axis which is far more important.

Erm.....I literally say that I am deferring to others for comment. Suggesting that I am willfully spreading 'missinformation' is a bit bizarre.
It's OK, I've a suspicion that his reply was referring to my "atmos guide" post. Hence my reply to him directly 👍🏼

Those figures refer to the angles on the vertical axis not the horizontal axis. That's why those speakers specifically designed for wall mounted in the Atmos domain have the angle built in. There is no 'misinformation' involved whatsoever as Dolby have guidelines and not rules.

It would be wonderful if everyone had a dedicated cinema room and could follow the guidelines to the letter but the vast majority of us don't. Most will have to live with the restrictions of the rooms and make compromises to the speaker positions to suit that environment.

The information for placing wall mounted speakers in line with the front left and right is sound (pun not intended) advice because it will meet the criteria for the angles on the vertical axis which is far more important.
The angles I mentioned are horizontal as in looking from the ceiling down to the floor. As in a floor plan. I'm not talking about the vertical from front to back of MLP but the angles are similar in that case aswell.

People have been loving the atmos speakers closer together in terms of spacing in both the vertical and horizontal axis.

I was only correcting information that is misleading on Dolby's diagrams and someone that believes it.

Nothing more Nothing less.

Another thing is front heights isn't the recommendation for Dolby atmos. In order to get the effect that is proper you require separation between the base layer and atmos speakers. They are designed to be ceiling based.
Front heights will diminish the effect and you won't get the effects that sounds above you.

It's fine if you don't use in ceiling speakers but you can use speakers that you mount to the ceiling at specific angles.

Page 9 of the Dolby atmos for home theater guidelines pdf is where you will find it

I'm only trying to help to have the most accurate Dolby atmos possible as the creators intended.

Last edited:
I'm only trying to help to have the most accurate Dolby atmos possible as the creators intended.
No. You're just being pedantic at best, argumentative at worse. The idea is to help people get the best of of their rooms, with their speakers and I'm pretty sure that @RetroDaz doesn't have the perfect room. Every room has to be looked at on it's own merits. Members are giving helpful, useful advice and your posting is not helping in the least.

It's easy to copy and paste and then look for an argument which is basically what you have done. It's verging on trolling.

Do you have low standards?

Seems you are reacting in a inappropriate manner to someone thats here to help.

It's not place speakers anywhere and think you can have a good system.

No. You're just being pedantic at best, argumentative at worse. The idea is to help people get the best of of their rooms, with their speakers and I'm pretty sure that @RetroDaz doesn't have the perfect room. Every room has to be looked at on it's own merits. Members are giving helpful, useful advice and your posting is not helping in the least.
Agreed.

I've lost count of the number of times I've assisted members (both in threads on this forum and off the forum), who have become disheartened due to some less than helpful advice/system bashing if it doesn't meet spec etc.....

Personally. If I really want an immersive (true to Dolby spec) cinema experience, I'd well....

Go to my local IMAX theatre! 👍🏼

Edit: I - and many guests - love my little (less than perfect) mini "cinema at home". We don't spend our time forensically examining Dolby spec speaker placement etc. We enjoy using it!

So it sounds like I am wasting my time getting these Altecas if I am not going to hear sound from above.
I thought have them at high rather than upfiring would still make you hear stuff high up?
Might as well return the ones I have rather than spending another 350 quid.

Do you have low standards?
No I just live in the real world. Does the OP have the perfect room for the perfect speakers placement? No. Are the Dolby guides hard and fast rules? No. Are members trying to help the OP? Yes. Are you helping? Absolutely not.

So it sounds like I am wasting my time getting these Altecas if I am not going to hear sound from above.
I thought have them at high rather than upfiring would still make you hear stuff high up?
Of course it's up to you if you choose to return them. I hope you don't though (or at least not because of one person's opinion).

As you know, I use 4 of the Alteco's as heights and (while not perfectly positioned), for me they add a level of immersion that was missing before I used them.

For context, I ran a basic 5.1 (non Atmos) setup. Then added a front pair of Alteco's - initially as upfiring - then a second set as rears - moving both to their current height positions. At each and every upgrade/change I noticed an increase in immersion level that was well worth the cost.

Don't forget the Denon's Room Correction software (audessey) will help level the sound somewhat.

It's not place speakers anywhere and think you can have a good system.
I'm not aware of any contributor in this thread making or suggesting as such (except ironically you - by making the above comment!)

All the suggestions made here are compromises on Dolby guidelines (Not Laws), that will (imo) give the OP a good immersive setup for his (non dedicated) room.

As I see it (and sorry to be blunt). All you've done is manage to take someone's initial enthusiasm (remember it's his 1st Home Theatre setup) and reduced it to the extent he's now questioning his purchases!

Imo that's not in the least helpful and just proves this point i made:

I've lost count of the number of times I've assisted members (both in threads on this forum and off the forum), who have become disheartened due to some less than helpful advice/system bashing if it doesn't meet spec etc.....

So frustrating!

If the OP fancies a trip. He's welcome to come and have a demo of my setup. If nothing else to restore his faith: That a mildly compromised system (due to it being a living room after all), can still sound bloody good 😃.

Last edited:
I've no doubt that you'll enjoy your speakers be it just two but four is certainly going to be more immersive.

A lot of people are initially disappointed with Atmos. They expect the ceiling to suddenly come alive with sound but in truth it's far more subtle than most expect. Just go and stand in your garden and listen. How many sounds do you really hear above you. A jet flying over some birds perhaps or the rustling of trees, that's what I hear in my garden at least. A good Atmos, or DTS:X, soundtrack will often have those ambient sounds in the Atmos domain, along with those much vaunted object based sounds.

I personally like the way that DTS Neural works with native DTS HD MA soundtracks and it's brought a whole new dimension to those discs that have DTS as a base soundtrack. Likewise Dolby Surround can inject some very pleasing audio into the Atmos realm.

I was an early adopter of upfiring speakers buying KEF R50s when they first hit the market. That was in the days before KEF started putting keyhole fittings on the bottom of the speakers. If I were allowed a second pair I'd have them in a heartbeat. There you have my compromise, SWMBO.

^^^^ Couldn't agree more with this. It pretty much sums up my own experiences/feelings towards Dolby Atmos. Especially the bit about there being good, bad and great Atmos mixes in films.

The effect is subtle, but does add an extra dimension to some films especially when done well.

+1 Re the upmixing modes - I too like the Neural:x mode and watch all non armos content in it.

I’ve ordered a second set of Aletecas and my cousin is going to help me set everything up next weekend. I got such a good deal on the set overall that It’s almost like I am getting them for free 😂

I’ve ordered a second set of Aletecas and my cousin is going to help me set everything up next weekend. I got such a good deal on the set overall that It’s almost like I am getting them for free 😂
Good stuff. Richersounds are very good in this regard.

Good stuff. Richersounds are very good in this regard.
Agreed, I felt quite guilty going to Peter Tyson as I've used Richer Sounds for years but they were offering the Denon amp, the Oberon 5 5.1 package and let me swap out the sub and the rear speakers and the price was nearly £500 cheaper than Richer Sounds. Seemed too good to pass up. Now to get it all on the walls :)

^^^^ Couldn't agree more with this. It pretty much sums up my own experiences/feelings towards Dolby Atmos. Especially the bit about there being good, bad and great Atmos mixes in films.

The effect is subtle, but does add an extra dimension to some films especially when done well.
Definitely, the overhead element tends to be subtle with a lot of soundtracks... but one thing you will benefit from is a more spacious sound.

If you imagine 5.1 (or 7.1) as a ring of sound around you, then Atmos is a dome.

This applies whether it's a "proper" Atmox mix or an upmix performed by your receiver.

It's a different listening experience that you'll definitely notice..

Agreed, I felt quite guilty going to Peter Tyson as I've used Richer Sounds for years but they were offering the Denon amp, the Oberon 5 5.1 package and let me swap out the sub and the rear speakers and the price was nearly £500 cheaper than Richer Sounds. Seemed too good to pass up. Now to get it all on the walls :)
Yep tbf, that's a cracking deal from PT...

I get nearly all my gear from my local RS. So much so, that they'll often have sorted out a deal before I ask!

Re setting it up. Except the height speakers (obviously), try and get the base level speakers so the tweeters of them are at ear height - when seated. The Oberon 5's will be fine as they're floor standers. It's more the centre speaker.

Enjoy it when it arrives and you set up 🙂. We do get excited with the journey and next upgrade without appreciating what's there. For what it's worth I have a 5.1.4 setup with couch on rear wall. Pushing couch away from wall even if it's 1 ft makes a difference. Moving from .2 to .4 is a subtle difference but can be felt with good sound mixes like LOTR. Proper bubble with height channels used extensively.

For me the biggest upgrade was with Dirac. Absolute game changer. The existing speakers and sub sounded like they'd been upgraded. It's definitely a bubble of sound and a good disc is much better than a stream.

Enjoy it when it arrives and you set up 🙂. We do get excited with the journey and next upgrade without appreciating what's there. For what it's worth I have a 5.1.4 setup with couch on rear wall. Pushing couch away from wall even if it's 1 ft makes a difference. Moving from .2 to .4 is a subtle difference but can be felt with good sound mixes like LOTR. Proper bubble with height channels used extensively.

For me the biggest upgrade was with Dirac. Absolute game changer. The existing speakers and sub sounded like they'd been upgraded. It's definitely a bubble of sound and a good disc is much better than a stream.
As long as my wife can hear a difference I should be fine. If you have any good example films that would be handy to show off to her.
What’s Dirac?

Out of interest how high should the TV be on wall? It’s a 65 inch OLED C8.
Ideally you want it so the centre of the screen is at (or just below)* eye level when seated.

* I say just below because I for one usually slouch a little while watching TV. Also relevant if your sofa reclines.

As long as my wife can hear a difference I should be fine. If you have any good example films that would be handy to show off to her.
What’s Dirac?
Dirac is another room correction software, like Audyssey, ARC, YPAO, Room Perfect etc. The endless debate about which is better is something I avoid - for the time being at least. Audyssey XT 32 should suit you fine - up to you how far you go with it in terms of the available app, Windows software and of course there's always REW.........

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom