Moving pixels in the background!!

haujobbz

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I dont get it?

Since i had my panny plasma and denon dvd 2800 on quite a few films i see annoying moving backgrounds especially on red and oranges, and on poorer mastered disks it much worse the backgrounds seem to be alive. One film i didnt notice too much on was U571 this film had a razor sharp image except when you see the underwater sceens (the blues in the sea :rolleyes: ) the image seems to move and be more grainy.

Is there a term for this problem or is it common on most plasmas when dealing with certain colours and darker images

I can see it on my screen. It's because Plasma's arn't very good at displaying different levels of dark grey, black and other dark colours, so it dithers the colours to give the illusion of more colour depth, but you shouldnt be able to see this effect at an adequate distance from the screen. It can be exaggerated if your screen isn't calibrated properly, use a set up disk such as Avia to set the white level and black level.

You should see it a lot less on CGI animated movies, as the moving pixels will be inherent in (especially older) badly mastered films...

avia??
How do you get hold of one of these discs?
Cant you download it online and make your own?

So is this moving pixelly effect also caused by not setting the white and black settings properly if this is so i might try adjusting the levels later to see the result.

Also couldnt you also try the setup utility that comes with some dvds to calibrate the picture correctly, i cant remember what its called. If this works im gonna cry :clap:

THX disks often come with THX Optimax which is a very basic set of calibration displays. They appear to only work well with the disk they are on, but it's a start.

Also try turning the sharpness down, as this can cause the display to try and define every pixel. Making the image softer will help to blend the pixels.

HTH

Gary.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom