Moving overseas - what to bring along? (AV)

ManuB

Hi everyone,

I have the opportunity with work to move overseas in a few weeks, from London to Singapore, and I’m wondering what to do with my AV stuff.
We won’t be coming back to the UK anytime soon, so storing it here is not an option.

I’m mostly wondering about the danger of moving speakers and tv’s in a container, work is paying for a 20ft container so I have the space, but will the AV stuff suffer from that move? I no longer have the boxes, so I need to trust the movers and their packaging.
Also, maybe it is an opportunity to sell it all and buy new.

I have a full set of Klipsh reference speakers (5.1.2) and a couple of LG C8 Oled’s, along with stuff like Xbox, PS5, Onkyo Amp, etc… Not to mention all the music gear such as keyboards and others.

The idea of buying new is tempting of course :) Just not sure what the most sensible approach is, moving or selling.

Any ideas, or maybe someone who went through the same experience?

Thanks!

Ruffuz

My friend moved all of his sound and vision equipment in container to Brazil, and it all arrived safe and sound. We did secure it properly in the container though.

On the other hand, if you decide not to move it I could safeguard it for you? :D

ManuB

Thanks! Good to hear that it all arrived safely.

For Brazil I can understand, prices over there can be crazy for anything electronic.

Laureline

I wouldn't bother with the TV, it's probably the most fragile and the cheapest to buy a new model, plus your existing one probably was out of date the moment you bought it.

Customs paperwork can be a pain, so check out what you still have receipts for

oneman

I would check out how you would get for the stuff second hand vs buying second over there. From my understanding Singapore can be cheaper than europe but you may not have the same brands over there.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Depending upon what kind of TV system you plan on having over there, your TV may not work at all apart from watching your own content as the tuner may not work.

If you had a separate box for receiving transmissions that hooked up with HDMI then it would be fine.

The Dreamer

Distinguished Member
I would check out how you would get for the stuff second hand vs buying second over there. From my understanding Singapore can be cheaper than europe but you may not have the same brands over there.
You can get all the brands we have over here, plus many Chinese brands that we don’t have too! It may be a little different for speakers, but certainly for TV’s, and general AV electronics, all the major players are available.

Years ago I bought a small LCD TV over there for or around half the price of buying in the U.K.

Plenty of other stores available too.

By all means take your stuff over there if you want, it should be insured by the shippers - but you can buy a lot of stuff over there at quite reasonable prices.

YMMV

Delvey

Distinguished Member
Customs paperwork can be a pain, so check out what you still have receipts for
Important point. You may have to pay some import duty etc

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
I believe Singapore uses 230V with the same 3 pin sockets as UK. Also the same DVB TV transmission, so everything should just work as it does here. Just a question of buying enough rolls of bubble wrap.

ManuB

Thank you all for the comments.

I’m going to play it safe and sell the stuff, and it gives me a excuse to go shopping for new gear over there 😂

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom