Moving on - help!

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by paddy187, Feb 12, 2014.

1. paddy187

paddy187

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +254
    Hey all - help required!

I bought a dns-320 nas about a year ago to see if I used it. We find it quite useful and like the streaming capabilities so I have upgraded to a Synology nas for more functionality.

Now I have a full 1tb in the dns 320 and I need to copy all the info over the new synology which has a 1tb as well. Whats the best way to do this?

Someone suggested Robocopy but I dont have a clue how to do this.

For info the dns has a static ip of 192.168.0.32 and is mapped to my PC as Z: drive.

Cheers

Paddy

2. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,127
    Login to the Synology DSM, go to it's file manager (filestation) and initiate a copy between the Syno NAS and the zyxel.

Your windows drives including mapped shares should appear in synology filestation if java plugin is enabled in web browser. Alternatively there should also be some means to mount the zyxel share in filestation but it's been a while since I used Syno so cant say exactly.

Or just do a copy in windows explorer from one network share to the other.

3. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,722
    If you do opt for the latter alternative, use a Windows PC that's ethernet connected rather than wi-fi (and avoid crossing any HomePLugs if you have them) - it will be much faster.

ROBOCOPY is a MS supplied file copying tool that has heaps of options that let you tailor how it works. it's principle benefit in your situation is that it's "restarable" in the even of a problem and can skip anything it's already done. It's not for the feint hearted though, it has no GUI. MS also provide a tool called SyncToy (or is it ActiveSync these days..?) which is similar but has a pretty GUI interface. However, the first two methods next010 suggests are preferable to both of these - if you can mount one NAS's shares in the other and copy directly between them, it will go fastest.