Quantcast

Question Moving On From Plasma

RyanK

Hi all, apologies for the long post.

Over the past 6 years I’ve been a very proud and happy owner of the Panasonic GT60 50” Plasma which was their last and best plasma screen. Previous to that I used a Panasonic LCD screen and the plasma still blows it out of the water. I just love this screen and will be sad the day when I say goodbye to it. However I now need to start thinking about 4K and a larger screen and this is where I’m stuck.

My main viewing is HD broadcast channels and the rest is catch up via iPlayer and streaming via Netflix and YouTube. I watch the occasional movie in perfect viewing (I.e pitch black room) say 1 per week. My room is quite/very bright as it’s main window in east facing with a smaller window south facing so reflections can be an issue.

On paper and heart I would look at OLED but the issues with screen burn are seriously concerning me. I don’t play games but have seen several issues with the YouTube app causing burn, crushing blacks and low light for HDR is also putting me off.

I have looked at the Samsung QLED 65 Q90R at John Lewis and was blown away. Yes I know LCD always looks great in showroom conditions but the viewing angles were nothing like I’ve seen on LCD before, and of course 95% of viewing will be 1080 or below. I’m very much leaning towards this or next years model.

I guess my question is has anyone else made the similar jump from 1080 Plasma and would jumping on the QLED bandwagon be a step down (I.e) noticeable with black levels or am I too overly concerned about the OLED issues. I’d only consider Panasonic if I did go down the OLED route.

WTH did they give in and ditch plasma. I’d love to see one in 4K....I can dream

martin 39

I went to last yrs Panasonic 802 oled from a kuro . It still blows me away now . But if you don't think you will be watching much if any 4k HDR you might as well stick with the plasma . I never even considered a LCD so can't help there sorry.from what it sounds like you would have no trouble with screen burn from the content you watch.

GadgetObsessed

I moved from the same 50GT60 as you have to a Sony 65zd9 a couple of years ago. Overall I prefer the picture quality on the ZD9. This is especially true if you watch anything with HDR. The only time I really notice the resolution increase is if I watch football in 4k on Sky.

Putting the two next to one another, you really do notice how much more vibrant the picture is on the LCD. This is especially true when the shot is of something bright. While I was comparing the two a snow scene came on and it looked really grey on the GT60 as its brightness limiter kicked in. (However, I had never really noticed that when watching the GT60 by itself so this may not be that significant.)

However, the viewing angles on the ZD9 are poor. This isn't an issue for me as I watch it straight on. I would definitely choose OLED over LCD if viewing angles are a concern. Although Samsung's latest QLED LCDs are supposed to have good viewing angles for an LCD.

BTW - I believe that Panasonic killed off plasma as it could not be manufactured in 4k. (The pixels would be too small to work well for a plasma.) They couldn't have a plasma range stuck at 1080 and LCDs as 4k as they (and everyone else) wanted to push 4k as the premium TV range - they could not justify plasma being more expensive than the premium 4k LCD sets.

Dodgexander

A few points I'd like to make:

1. Being a Plasma user, I would have no worries going to an OLED. Plasma displays like OLEDs can suffer from burn in, so unless you have burn in on your plasma or your viewing habits are going to change to drastically involve lots of static content, I would not worry. There's more detail on that here: OLED Burn In Risk

Black Crush on OLEDs has not been a problem since 2017.

2. Bright room; well the question always will be how bright. But if you own a Plasma TV you can expect even an OLED to be a lot brighter, with better handling of reflections too. Higher end LCD TVs are of course even better with reflections and will reduce them even more. They also get a lot brighter which can be useful in some circumstances where there is a lot of brightness to be shown in a scene, but really, coming from a Plasma TV to an OLED will be a great improvement with reflections already. Its also not really a great idea to use HDR in bright conditions anyway, since you are essentially mitigating what HDR is all about in increased contrast.

3. Your sources; It seems like you are still going to use the TV for broadcast TV. If you are you may wish to keep with your current TV for some time longer. Newer models don't shine so much with broadcast TV as by today's standards its not very high quality. It also has to be upscaled on an a larger UHD TV and isn't displayed natively, so it will look quite some softer on a larger TV. A lot of people assume from the marketting and also store demos that these fantastic TVs will be good at displaying everything. This isn't really the case, with the TVs shining more when you use higher quality content like the shows available in UHD and HDR on streaming services, traditional HD Blu-Rays or even better, UHD Blu-Rays with HDR. Certainly if a lot of your viewing isn't going to be available with UHD and HDR yet, and you do upgrade, I would not spend a lot of money on a more expensive TV with good HDR hardware and instead opt for a cheaper budget or mid range model.

4. Store impressions - Never judge from what you see in the store. There are far too many variables than can give you the wrong impressions. Of course the higher end Samsung LCD TVs (QLEDs) look good. They will have their own demo material that is designed to show of the TVs strengths and they are also usually displayed in a bright showroom environment which doesn't show their dependencies. The wide viewing angle filter that they have placed on the Q80R and above has improved viewing angles on a VA type LCD TV, but the viewing angles are still not as good as OLED or Plasma, and probably not as good as some LCD TVs using IPS panels either.

Overall I'd consider that you need to think about changing the way you watch TV if you want to make the most of a new model, and if you feel you don't want to do that, you will get a better overall experience sticking with what you have. Certainly if you do change TVs, don't spend money now on a high end model like the Samsung Q90R if you aren't going to have the sources to take advantage of it. There are TVs like the Samsung NU8000 or even cheaper Hisense U7B or B series that will display regular non-HDR and non-UHD content to a decent standard (close to the Samsung) without spending big bucks.

Almost exclusively what you pay extra for with LCDs TVs now is not like it used to be. You no longer pay extra for a lot overall better picture quality. You pay extra for better HDR performance.

Top Bottom