Moving my thread in here...After a 49/50" on a mid-range budget.

KyleS1

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
I've had a lot of good help in my other thread and had settled on a TV but worried about buying refurb and would like the JL/RS warranty for piece of mind, so happy to spend a bit more.
Looking for a 49/50" (max due to space available screen).
Current TV is dying, but am trying to hold out until Black Friday deals, but if needs must I will purchase before hand.

Mostly watch HD stuff, but also have a 4k Fire TV box and Prime subscription.
I watch F1 but no football, and watch a lot of films.

I had decided on the Pana 50DX750B which is a great TV but as it's last years model, you can't get it anywhere other than in refurb. Bit worried about the mixed reviews on the Pana store and the fact that if anything goes wrong you have to cover the courier costs to post it back, BUT it is such good value.

So, what are my choices from JL or RS, around the £700 bracket (two young kids who touch the TV all the time are restricting me paying more at the moment)?
The Samsung 49MU6400 gets great reviews on S21 but have read on here they have now changed the panel type and viewing angles are worse as is backlight bleed (a pet peave of mine on my current Samsung).
The Pana 50EX700 get's OK reviews, but says it suffers from motion blur, which is a no-no.
The Hisense 50N6800 is only a 50hz screen, although reviews are quite favourable, but at the moment JL won't price match the best online price as its only available in store and not for delivery (annoying!), so happy to wait for that to drop in the sales, or the higher models dropping to that price point.

Anything else I should consider?

I know it's a little higher than your current budget but you should be able to get a 49" Sony XE90 for under £1k soon, possibly £800-900 come BF or January.

Well worth it in my opinion, comfortably better than the models you've listed above for only a little extra.

It's a good idea, but it might be overkill while I have young kids and only a small amount of 4K content.

Get to a shop and see if you can tolerate motion on 50hz models like the EX700/N6800/MU6xxx range. If motion looks fine to you then great, if not, you're looking at obtaining a TV with a 100hz panel similar to the DX750 and at new prices you are looking to spend a little more.

Some 50hz TV's are fine for motion, but its in the eye of the beholder. The only real advantage with a 100hz panel is after you enable motion options, so really they will be very similar out of the box.

I have 100hz now and am happy with motion. I have annoying eyes in that they pick up every little flaw!

The holiday accommodation where I'm currently residing has a Samsung KU6400. As a Panasonic plasma owner, I've been surprisingly impressed by the overall image quality of the KU6400.

However, on watching the T20 Cricket via its on-board NowTV, the motion blur/trail of hit Cricket balls is irritating. Sometimes, you'd swear that there were multiple Crickets balls crossing the field of play.

I have 100hz now and am happy with motion. I have annoying eyes in that they pick up every little flaw!
What TV do you own now? What motion options are you using in its settings?

I don't think that uses a 100hz panel. It has a 100hz MCFI which is frame interpolation.

from their own words on their website:
Experience the true meaning of motion clarity with Samsung''''s Clear Motion Rate. Unlike the "refresh rate." which explains a part of picture quality, Clear Motion Rate determines the motion of an image by using three factors: chipset, TV panel, and backlight. WIth the new standard in motion measurement and control, you will clearly see the difference.

If you are happy with its motion, you will likely be happy with the motion of other 50/60hz panels!

Interesting. Might see if I can get some time to go and view a few TVs today.

Thoroughly disappointed in every set I saw with the rugby on except one OLED, which is out of budget considerably. All the sets showing the demo 4K material looked good, obviously, but I particularly liked the Sony 9005.
Hughes had the DX750 (clearance model) and EX700 and both looked good. The DX750 edged it for me, but as soon as the rugby came on, both couldn't handle the motion with whatever settings they had on.
If I'd gone into the shop to buy on the basis of the what they were displaying, I think I'd have turned around and scrapped the idea of getting a new set. I've never understood why they don't set them up properly.
Overall not impressed with any of the ones I saw without the 4k reference material.

They wouldn't do it for me as it's not available for delivery any more, store collection only.

They wouldn't do it for me as it's not available for delivery any more, store collection only.

Have you tried just in case. Hughes didn't deliver to my postcode. I didn't tell JL that.

They only provide a 2 year warranty but that didn't stop JL giving me a 5 year one.

Yep, twice. It's not available for delivery at all on their website. JL will only price match like for like. Frustrating.

Yep, twice. It's not available for delivery at all on their website. JL will only price match like for like. Frustrating.

That's unfortunate. Guess i was just lucky to get mine whilst it was still available for delivery.

Thoroughly disappointed in every set I saw with the rugby on except one OLED, which is out of budget considerably. All the sets showing the demo 4K material looked good, obviously, but I particularly liked the Sony 9005.
Hughes had the DX750 (clearance model) and EX700 and both looked good. The DX750 edged it for me, but as soon as the rugby came on, both couldn't handle the motion with whatever settings they had on.
If I'd gone into the shop to buy on the basis of the what they were displaying, I think I'd have turned around and scrapped the idea of getting a new set. I've never understood why they don't set them up properly.
Overall not impressed with any of the ones I saw without the 4k reference material.

Were you viewing material, inc the rugby on a standard definition feed by any chance?

I don't think so. It was only bad when it zoomed out when the ball was kicked or someone was sprinting down the wing. It just went all pixelated around the ball or person.

I don't think so. It was only bad when it zoomed out when the ball was kicked or someone was sprinting down the wing. It just went all pixelated around the ball or person.
So how were you sampling material? for example if you were watching rugby on bbc1 instead of bbc1hd then it will look awful on a UHD TV.

If you watch a stream of standard definition quality also...even online HD streams are bad quality.

UHD TVs take your source and polish it the best they can, but it is very much like listening to a heavily compressed mp3 on high end headphones when you try watching SD upscaled to UHD.

I can tell the difference between SD and HD. If that was the set polishing the SD, I am mightily impressed!

Oh dear, I've been back and looked at the DX750, EX700, DX802 and had a play around with the settings. The first two just aren't very good at sports at all, and I will rarely if ever use 4k. The 802 was better but it's physically too big. I didn't get a chance to look at the 902 but I'm not willing to spend that much while my kids are still putting their grubby mitts all over the screen.
It looks like I might have to resort to a second hand FHD TV from a couple of years ago.
Are any of the current range of FHD TVs any good? There aren't many reviews from sources I'd trust that I can see.

It just erks me to spend the same amount on a FHD as a "reputable" 4k set.

had a play around with the settings.
What settings did you play around with? Out of the box all those TVs will probably perform very similar. Its only when you enable frame interpolation and insertion that sport will improve on an LCD.

Motion wise FHD TVs will perform very similar to the DX700/EX700. There are no 100/120hz panels on FHD TVs now.

I played with all the noise reduction, mpeg reduction, frame insertion, sharpness etc.
What I don't understand is that my 5 year old 50hz/magic 100hz mid range Samsung FHD has zero issues with any sport. No haloing, no judder, no problems at all, but now 4k TVs that are over twice the price (with reduced cost of technology) now can't handle HD sport without issues. My set of requirements is pretty low but it seems features overtook function unless you spend a lot of money.
The OLED TVs looked amazing and they are £1k less than I paid for my Kuro back in the day, but anything else doesn't appear to be able to handle basic stuff.
With 4k content they looked fab, but how much 4k content is out there? Not much of what I watch unfortunately.

I think I need to look for an older 8000 series FHD Samsung.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom