Moving my Sky HD box DIY Query...

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by A Legal Beagle, May 27, 2008.

1. A Legal Beagle

A Legal Beagle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Having has Sky HD installed in june last year, iam thinking of moving the sky box from my bedroom at the front of the house to the back bedroom, where my new HC room is :D

The dish is at the front of the house. So is it a case of simply purchasing longer cables for the TV and phone line:confused:(that too is in the front bedroom)

If so, what cables do i need and where is the best place to purchase them from?

finally, given the extra length of the cabling, does the signal quality from the dish degrade?

Thanks

2. dodfaefife

dodfaefife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi Waoolis

When I did my install I got my cables from SatCure – they have a nice guide section giving advise on cable lengths and quality.

Cheers.

3. fredsie

fredsie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    No need to bother with relocating the phone line unless you use the interactive (phone-line dependent) services, or have multi-room, which I guess not. You don't really need a phone line connected.

4. Dave964

Dave964

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    Just the thread I needed, since I'm about to move mine. I'd completely forgotten about the phone line though (and I do have multi-room).

Will order some cable from satcure.

5. A Legal Beagle

A Legal Beagle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    I was told by the installer i always need my HD box connected to the phone line! but ordinary boxes ie not sky+ or HD boxes didnt need to be unless i had multiroom:rolleyes: is this true ir is it a case i have to have it connected until the 12 month contract is up?

Anyway it makes no difference i suppose as a phone line extension cable isnt expensive.

i need around 10-12m of extension cabling.

Ive seen this on satcure's website(about half way down the page, the coloured ones):

http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page8.htm#WF100

am i right in that I would need to order the cables (1 for each LNB) along with 1 pair of F barrels, to connect to the existing cable along with 1 pair of F connectors at the other end to plug into the newly located sky box?

Id thought id ask as it sounds too easy to me and knowing my luck it would go horribly wrong! :rolleyes:

6. fredsie

fredsie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Yes well Sky does say that you should always have the phone line connected to any of their boxes, but that's a contractual thing, not a technical one (unless you use the dial-up services). There's no difference between Sky+ and HD boxes in this respect.

Sky doesn't try to enforce this however unless you have multi-room, when having the phone lines connected proves to them that both boxes are in the same location and you're not just getting Sky for a mate down the road for £10. So many folks don't bother with the phone line, especially if it's inconvenient to run a phone cable to the new location.

It really is as easy as it sounds. :) You need to order cable for each output from the LNB that you're going to use. I would mention though that joining cables is sometimes less than successful - I think it's always better to run a complete new length of cable from box to dish if you can.

7. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    I've never had a problem with cable joints like this. Of course they need to be waterproofed if outdoors.
    YMMV.

8. boltoa

boltoa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    The FT100 or FT125 cable from Maplin is very good stuff. Low/Ultra-low loss, good quality, no delivery charge if you buy in store. They do a dual version of the FT100 as well, to keep things neat for +/HD boxes. Just search for "satellite cable" on the Maplin website.

9. A Legal Beagle

A Legal Beagle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    thought id revive the thread after finally getting ready to moving my sky HD box.

Does anyone know if there is any real difference in quality between these two:-

http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page8.htm#WF100

or the twin one at maplin:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=219139&doy=18m8

obviously the twin one is more convienant but does this compromise the signal quality?

the total distance between the dish and the box will be around 20m. from the front to back of my house.

any help much appreciated. thanks:thumbsup:

10. simon194

simon194

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Got to giggle at the Maplin description.

"Compatible with CT100 connectors", CT100 is a cable specification not a connector.

I would assume the Maplin cable is CT100 specification but I would check with them first.

11. A Legal Beagle

A Legal Beagle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    yeah i thought that!:rolleyes: