Moving my main speakers form AVR to external AMP, what should I get?

Punisa

Novice Member
Hi! I have Marantz SR6013 in 7.1 setup and I would love to improve my stereo music experience. Couple of details:
  • my main listening source is Audio Technica LP-120 turntable
  • my main L/R speakers are Mirage FRX 7
  • I would connect my external amp (which I'm planing to buy) via PRE OUT (L and R) that are available on my AVR.

Couple of questions:
) Does PRE OUT just transfer signal through AVR to AMP? Is it a pure bypass or is there some loss in quality?
2) Regarding the previous question - should I therefor connect my sources to the AVR or the AMP?
3) What about the subwoofer? I see that some amps have a dedicated subwoofer input. I have a sub, Yamaha YST-SW1500.
4) As for music I mostly listen to vinyl records, what sort of AMP should I get (very noob on this one). Something with a "warm sound"? My budget is up to 1,000 USD. I know that some amplifiers have HT bypass which is neat, but these are unfortunately very expensive, so I guess I'd be manually setting the volume on the AMP to match that one on AVR when watching movies (as L and R would remain connected to the AMP via pre-outs).

I love Hi-FI, but I'm still learning, so any advice is more than welcome :)

alebonau

Couple of questions:
) Does PRE OUT just transfer signal through AVR to AMP? Is it a pure bypass or is there some loss in quality?
hi depends what you buy. if you buy a 2ch integrated with ht bypass there is no loss at all. it just provides signal to your 2ch integrated and the htbyapss lets it operate as a power amp...bypassing the volume control

your 2ch sources you hook up directly to your 2ch integrated analog ins :)

2) Regarding the previous question - should I therefor connect my sources to the AVR or the AMP?
2ch sources to analog inputs on the 2ch integrated. AV hdmi and digital output sources leave hooked upto your AVR :)

3) What about the subwoofer? I see that some amps have a dedicated subwoofer input. I have a sub, Yamaha YST-SW1500.
leave the sub on the AVR... if you want you can purchase a separate sub just for 2ch use this you hook upto the 2ch pre outs on your 2ch integrated :)

4) As for music I mostly listen to vinyl records, what sort of AMP should I get (very noob on this one). Something with a "warm sound"? My budget is up to 1,000 USD. I know that some amplifiers have HT bypass which is neat, but these are unfortunately very expensive, so I guess I'd be manually setting the volume on the AMP to match that one on AVR when watching movies (as L and R would remain connected to the AMP via pre-outs).
2ch integrated with htbypass dont have to be very expensive at all. we have had these since early 2000s...so last 20 or so years... if budget is an issue buy 2nd hand ... something like musical fidelity a5 integrated is a lovely amp as with the older a308 integrated as well... with a touch of warmth in vocals but still a pretty upbeat and vibrant sound...

another brand with a bit of warmth is rotel eg the 1570 integrated...

another is marantz which do quite affordable to top end integrated with ht bypass...

nad is another one as well for warmth...

you dont need to be manually setting the vol knob with any of these as they all have ht bypass....

here some examples

rotel 1570 $495usd

if wanting new... marantz 8006 $1199 - obvious match with your marantz avr !

the marantz has a built in phono and warmth... looks like out of stock there but check around... they might even have the previous gen 8005 or 8004 at a discount or can buy them 2nd hand cheaper again !

nad 368 $999 with dac, phono stage and warmth :)

peach tree nova 150 will be looking 2nd hand....

Punisa

Novice Member
@alebonau Thanks for all suggestions friend!
All of these look sweet. Especially that ROTEL 1570 for $495, but shipping would cost me another $400 :)
I found new ROTEL RA 1572 in my local store for $1,300. Still a bit over my budget. I guess it's saving time again :D

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
1) It's a pure bypass of the power amplifier section of the Marantz.
2) Stereo sources to the stereo amplifier
3) If you buy an amplifier with subwoofer passthrough, you can use it in both contexts, Such amplifiers are rare, but you say you've found you've found some with a dedicated subwoofer input.
4) I always avoid equipment that imparts colouration to the signal, so can't advise on this one.

Your YST-SW1500 supports speaker level inputs and stereo inputs with a high pass filter, so it can be used with a stereo amplifier. More importantly, it also has a high pass filter output, meaning that it can be inserted between the stereo preamplifier and stereo power amplifier, should your amplifier offer this option. However, I have not been able to determine if you can use both the LFE (for the AVR) and the speaker / line stereo (amplifier) inputs "at the same time".

The most important feature of the stereo amplifier you need is that it offers a home theatre bypass mode. If it doesn't you have to run the AVR's signal through two sets of preamplifiers and two volume controls. Although there are means of making this "work", I would strongly recommend avoiding the audio degradation. IMHO, if a (second-hand) stereo amplifier with HT bypass is above your budget, you would be better off either buying nothing, or ignoring the ability to use the AVR's pre outs and connect both amplifiers to a Beresford speaker selector.

Punisa

Novice Member
@Mark.Yudkin Thanks! Especially for the info regarding YST-SW1500 - never knew that!
As for HT bypass, yes, the more I look into it the more I'm aware I'll just have to save up a few more hundred bucks and get an amp that support it. I'm ok with buying second-hand, but the options are scarce. Btw, I've been using this list for amps that support HT bypass.

D

Deleted member 39241

If the HT bypass amp is out of budget, a non HT bypass amp is a possibility, but you will have to be constantly manually adjusting the volume when you switch between the AVR and the stereo amp.

The Beresford speaker switch might be easier, as it will enable you to use two amps completely separately and just share the speakers between them.

Your subwoofer can only be used by either low level or high level, not both at the same time. So unless you want to keep changing the connections you will also need to factor in a second subwoofer if you want to go the two amps route.

Option C, is to change your AVR for one that is better at 2 channel music, such as the Arcam or Nad ones. Are there any deals on the end of line Arcam AVR390 in your country?

Punisa

Novice Member
@Rambles Thanks for the comment. Yes, AVR390 is available, but it's over $2,500, way beyond my reach. Buuuuut, I just found a second-hand Yamaha A-S1000 (HT bypass included) for $650. That is definitely in my price range. Although I'm bit sceptical of Yamaha. Had A-S300 and it was just "ok", actually music from my Marantz SR6013 is superior to A-S300. Wonder if A-S1000 would be superior to SR6013....

D

Deleted member 39241

I am aware of those Yamaha amps, and they are very well reviewed, I seriously considered one myself when shopping for an HT bypass amp.

That sounds like a good price, as with any used electronics though, it is a gamble. Is there any warranty?

Punisa

Novice Member
Nope, no warranty. But I can test it at his place. Any hints as to what I should be paying attention to?

D

Deleted member 39241

I am loathe to recommend buying used electronics, I have done it myself on a number of occassions, and although on first impression everything seems to be working fine, the device has died, or developed a a fault within a few weeks / months.

I have recouped some of the cost by selling as spares or repair, but I now only buy new with warranty products, and try and find some good open box / end of line deals. They are a bit thin on the ground at the moment though.

alebonau

@Rambles Thanks for the comment. Yes, AVR390 is available, but it's over $2,500, way beyond my reach. Buuuuut, I just found a second-hand Yamaha A-S1000 (HT bypass included) for $650. That is definitely in my price range. Although I'm bit sceptical of Yamaha. Had A-S300 and it was just "ok", actually music from my Marantz SR6013 is superior to A-S300. Wonder if A-S1000 would be superior to SR6013....
the yamaha make good integrated amps with ht bypass ... but i wouldn't class the yamaha in "warm" category though... to match your marantz and if looking for warmth... id consider more brand like i suggested above...

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J Thoughts, madVR Processor & Sonus faber Lumina II Reviews + Movie & TV roundup
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom