Moving my BT Master Socket

Discussion in 'BT Broadband' started by Hampshirehog, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Hampshirehog

Hampshirehog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know there are other threads with this title and I apologize if I've over-looked the answer in them.
    My problem, as the titles suggests, is I'm moving my master phone socket as the wall it is set in is coming down. The strange thing is there appears to be two master sockets if that's possible, one with the main line clearly comes in and another much newer BT Openreach socket hard wired from it. The first or main socket appears to be the original from when the house was build in the 70's and not something I've seen before.
    As I said these sockets are on a wall which I'm about to take out and are mounted at skirting level, how easy will this be to remount either next to an electrical socket above what will be a kitchen worktops- roughly a metre up from it's current location? The other question is, can I get rid of one of these?
    Thanks in advance to you all

I've added a photograph to help with problem

Attached Files:

2. spyder viewer

spyder viewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,285
    It's simple: the engineer came in, took one look at that ancient non-approved in-wall socket with the bottom sawn off so it cleared the skirting board and thought, I'm touching that as little as possible. So he ran a pair of wires into a surface-mounted approved BT socket and ran all the connections from there.

It shouldn't be too difficult to pick up the pair coming from the pole? and running them to a new socket wherever you want but it will need somebody competent to carry out the work.

3. Hampshirehog

Hampshirehog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Spyder Viewer, I have found that competent person. All is ok with the world. Happy days!