1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving music from one computer to another

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Pecker, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
    Ratings:
    +4,361
    Right, I have a 60gb Creative Zen, but my pc is a laptop with only a 30gb capacity.

So, I'm thinking of buying an External Hard Drive, and moving the music on my laptop (currently c.10gb, but filling up fast) to the external drive.

What I'm hoping to do is just cut from the one place to the other - so far so good.

However, whilst most of the music is ripped from my own CDs, one or two tracks are downloads, and I remember the odd one having a limit - like 'can only be moved to a portable device once, etc.

So, when I try to move the stuff from my laptop to my extrernal, what will happen?

Will it all refuse to budge because of the one or two tracks?

Will it stop as soon as it gets to the first track which won't move?

Will it just 'leave them to one side', and continue to move everything else?

Comments & suggestions, please.

Steve W

2. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,361
    20 views and none of you know the answer.

I thought it was just me who was computer thick.

:rotfl:

Steve W

3. Ken

Ken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I don't know about the Zen, but the Sony HD5 will show an alert but continue with the rest of the transfer. Not too helpfull, I know.

Ken

4. danmusicant

danmusicant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whatever happens, my guess is that there'll be some kind of workaround - these files that have limits on them.... are they duplicate-able? Can they be coverted to a different type of file (eg. mp3 > WAV) and then moved a further time?

5. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,361
    I'm not bothered about losing the files, there's a pretty easy way around it.

If you burn them onto a CD, then put the CD in your drive, you can copy it (usually).

I'm more worried about whether or not the transfer will run smoothly on its own, or if I have to sit with the machine to keep clicking 'ignore' or something everytime an error message for such a track comes up.

Cheers for the help, anyway.

Steve W

6. Linkable

Linkable

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think (but absolutely not sure at all) that windows will just transfer everything without complaining but once you try to play the limited tracks then you'll get an error saying that you've moved it or anything of that sort. You could just do you copy-to-cd-and-rip-trick on those tracks.

I'm not sure if I'm right, it's just what my logic says will happen. Windows itself doesn't natively support rights control, windows media player does. So windows will just transfer and once you play it'll give errors.

7. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,361
  8. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,361
    Well, here's the results.

Via USB 2.0 I transferred 11.5 GB & 3,600 files (tracks) in 304 folders (albums) in about 20 minutes.

All the downloads transferred across without a hitch, and play when I access them from the external drive.

Steve W