Moving Kitchen Plug Sockets under cabinets?

thelegendofyrag

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
Been a while since I've posted on these forums and now i' have recently moved have quite a bit to do!!

Before i tile my kitchen I am thinking of having the kitchen plug sockets moved underneath the cabinets. I have seen some 'straight bar' style options on pinterest but from what i can tell they are US and i haven't found anything similar for sale in the UK.

All i have found so far are these angled sockets.
Socket.JPG

Anyone know of any other alternatives that do not require installing on the wall at all and can be mounted under the cabinets?

Cheers,
Gary

When we do ours for items that are not used all the time, wanted to get these pop up sockets, but even if move sockets there is a cooker switch to and other fused switches that will not be so easy to mover out the way!

Hi Lee, I have a pop installed on the breakfast bar extension as i had no sockets that end of the kitchen.

The hob end I have 7 sockets!! There's not even enough room for 7 appliances lol
If i could remove these and keep 4 installed under the cabinets it would be much cleaner!

I have fused switches in a corner which are fine (to the right of the double oven and left of the hob) but the oven switch is to the right of the hob rather than to the left near the actual oven which is rather odd!!

I had a similar idea when looking into my kitchen renovation and I could be wrong but I seem for recall something in building regs (possibly part M of electrical regs but don’t quote me on that) which states that sockets must be a minimum height of the floor to avoid damage. if that is correct then I believe (unless you have huge plinths) they can’t be mounted under the counter.

I had a similar idea when looking into my kitchen renovation and I could be wrong but I seem for recall something in building regs (possibly part M of electrical regs but don’t quote me on that) which states that sockets must be a minimum height of the floor to avoid damage. if that is correct then I believe (unless you have huge plinths) they can’t be mounted under the counter.
I think the OP means underneath the top cabinets, but having read your post, we have sockets in our bottom cabinets, one is in the bin cupboard and one is in the spice cupboard, we have others that are on the wall above the work tops

I would find it annoying to have to put plugs in upside down with wires trailing down for kitchen worktop appliances. I would hazard a guess that is why you may not find many solutions. Then there is also the supply to such a socket. Wouldn’t it have to be connected from the ring, and then for surface mount enter from the bottom? Or has regulations changed?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom