Moving kit into a cupboard what cables do I need??

Craig1989

Established Member
Reaction score
As above really I'm making plans to move everything AV related where I have built a rack, the cupboard already houses all my networking kit so that side of things are easy! My part I'm worried about is getting all the cables across the hallway into the living room! Routing I have sorted cables will be hidden behind the coving down a box section which is in the corner and then behind the skirting into the living room! Speaker cables will be terminated to a 7.1 faceplate and all over cables will be straight through a brush plate,

My plan was to send the hdmi signal over cat6 using HDMI over IP extenders but I'm worried I'm going to hide all these cables and then they won't work! My cable runs will be 15-20m maximum! The cable will go from my AVR in the cupboard to a splitter box which feeds my tv and projector there is no way over replacing the original HDMIs to the tv and projector as these are totally inaccessible in an ideal world I would have loved to replace these cables all the way back to the AVR but I can't also expensive HDMI matrix is out of the question aswell at least untill the further anyway when the need there is required

Am I better sticking with a the HDMI over IP or go with a HDMI cable? I'm just worried that the HDMI will be problematic and once this cables are in they are staying there........I've only got once chance, well I've got loads of chances but I may well get a ear bashing from a certain someone if I hide of these cables only to rip it all out agin because of a problem!

Any help would be great I have around a week before I need to start running the cables

Anyone got any ideas?? Need to get these cables run by Friday next week, would be great if someone had some useful info or ideas

HDMI over Cat6 (not IP that is something different) run a few as backup.
Only use HDBaseT standard extenders not any proprietary standard

what cable do you recommend and how many i think i could fit 4 behind the coving? is solid UTP cat 6 ok and does it have to be sheilded?

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom