Moving itunes to new laptop

adriandg

Hi

I have all my MP3s on my Buffalo Linkstation NAS which is connected to my desktop pc running itunes. I am about to scrap this desktop and move everything over to my new laptop. I won't be moving the MP3s themselves they will be staying put on the NAS. What I want is to import just the song lists, play counts etc in to itunes. Can this be done or do I have to start again from scratch?

I've done a search on the internet and tried to use the backup itunes option. Which I've tried and it siad I would need 87 discs! But I guess that is actually physically moving the MP3s, which I don't want to do.

Cheers

Dave M

Distinguished Member
Thanks I will try that later and let you know how I get on.

Cheers

I have tried to do this and couldn't get everything onto my laptop. My laptop says 3GB DDR2 and 160GB HDD. I mean is this beg enough to hold 6000+ songs?

spl23

My laptop says 3GB DDR2 and 160GB HDD. I mean is this beg enough to hold 6000+ songs?

The relevant figure is the 160GB hard drive, and it depends how you ripped the songs.

Depending on how you have the songs compressed, and what else you have on your hard drive, it could be possible to fit 6000 songs on there. If you've used the iTunes default 128kb/s AAC format, a 4 minute song take up about 4 megabytes, so 6000 songs will take around 25GB - plenty of room. If you've used Apple Lossless, a 4 minute song takes up about 40 megabytes, so 6000 songs will take around 250GB - which won't fit on your drive.

Dave M

Distinguished Member
mmm, didn't think it would be this difficult. All I know is that I haven't altered anything so whatever itunes "said" in the beginning I have done. :confused:

Thanks for your help by the way. Any sugestions greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

HMHB

Distinguished Member
How much space do you have left on your hard drive before trying to copy your itunes over?
Then if you look at your ipod and see how much space is used up on there. You should see this when you connect it up to your pc.

Dave M

Distinguished Member
How much space do you have left on your hard drive before trying to copy your itunes over?
Then if you look at your ipod and see how much space is used up on there. You should see this when you connect it up to your pc.

24.6 GB used up on ipod. 20.5 GB space left of 69.6 GB on DATA D and 19.2 left of 69.6 GB on C drive. It has copied 12.53 GB which is 3519 songs so don't know why i can't get the rest on. I put them all on 6 discs but as I say it only let me put around 3 of them on.

pablo99

I have tried to do this and couldn't get everything onto my laptop. My laptop says 3GB DDR2 and 160GB HDD. I mean is this beg enough to hold 6000+ songs?

I thought you said in your first post that all mp3 files were to stay on the NAS?

All that needs to be moved to the laptop is the library files etc
to keep all your playlists, play counts, artwork, settings etc

pablo

Dave M

Distinguished Member
I thought you said in your first post that all mp3 files were to stay on the NAS?

pablo

I have to admit that I don't really understand it all. I mean, what is the NAS? All I know is that I have put all my CD's on my PC and now want to move them to my laptop. I put them all on 6 discs but the laptop has only taken around 3.

akki007

pablo

Ha ha, this guy isn't the OP, he has hijacked the thread but the way he is typing has made it seem like he is the OP! ha ha. Confused!

Medz, you need to clarify what you are doing exactly as it doesn't sound like the same situation as the OPs.

Dave M

Distinguished Member
I just copied the library to disc then put in my laptop.

OP's? NAS? :confused:

BigCam

I just copied the library to disc then put in my laptop.

OP's? NAS? :confused:
Hi :hiya:
Thats referring to the first Postee's thread AdrianDG
that you've somewhat hijacked :)

Re: backup discs
Just a longshot
If you've ever explored an Ipods music folder and seen the umpteen subfolders relating to all the tracks loaded on it
Opening any of those you see that album tracks are dispersed throughout these folders
Its just possible that as you can only load around 3 discs you may have to load the discs in the same sequence you backed them up in
BigCam

Last edited:

Dave M

Distinguished Member
Hi :hiya:
Thats referring to the first Postee's thread AdrianDG
that you've somewhat hijacked :)

Re: backup discs
Just a longshot
If you've ever explored an Ipods music folder and seen the umpteen subfolders relating to all the tracks loaded on it
Opening any of those you see that album tracks are dispersed throughout these folders
Its just possible that as you can only load around 3 discs you may have to load the discs in the same sequence you backed them up in
BigCam

mmm, I can see that I'll have to look into this more closely. Thanks for your help. :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom