Moving iTunes to NAS drive?

bez.59

Hi, I have just got a d-link sharecenter DNS-320 NAS and would like to move all my music and itunes to it but have a few questions.

1. Do i just move the music folder (and itunes folder) to the NAS and change the itunes media folder location in the itunes settings to the folder on the NAS?

2. Will my itunes be the same as it is now because i have spent quite alot of time sorting my library out so that everything on my itunes is on my ipod and don't want to do it again?

3. When i sync my ipod after moving the itunes to the NAS will it remove everything from the ipod and put it all back on again like it did when i had to reinstall windows on my pc? I hope not because it will take for ever as i have to convert alot of tracks to 128kbps AAC to fit them all on the ipod.

Thanks for looking. Any help would be great.

next010

Distinguished Member
1. Basically yes.

2. Yes

3. A sync may happen but you wont need to re-convert anything.

I'm not a 100% on this but moving the iTunes media folder only affects media like music it wont affect other stuff in iTunes like apps. If you want everything related to iTunes on the NAS you've got to create a new library on the NAS which you do by holding down the shift key and starting iTunes, select a folder on the NAS. The downside to this is that it means creating your library from scratch so your going to have to export your playlists and whatever else first from old library then re-import into the new library.

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
It's very easy and iTunes can do it all for you.

Set up a folder on your NAS. Call it Music (for example, you can call it whatever you want). Next, in iTunes, go to Preferences > Advanced, and change the location of the iTunes Media folder from the default location (your computer internal drive, to the folder on your NAS) Also, make sure "Copy Files..." is ticked (and I have "Keep iTunes Media Folder Organised" as well)

Then, go to FILE > LIBRARY > ORGANIZE > and tick the box for Consolidate then click OK. iTunes will then move everything from your computers internal drive to the ne location on your NAS, update the music/video/apps in your iTunes library to reflect the location/path changes, and log everything in it's internal database files.

After doing this, iTunes operates exactly the same as it did before - so syncing with any iPod, iPhone etc you sync'd with iTunes before is unaffected; it just carries on as normal (no wanting to wipe and resync etc)

Worth noting tho, Consolidating your library using iTunes moves EVERYTHING in the iTunes Media folder to your NAS - music, apps, videos, podcasts, etc etc. However, I think it's a far easier management solution that moving only some items, and once you've changed the iTunes Media Folder location in prefs, any new music, apps, etc will be written to the file location anyway; so moving only your music and leaving the apps on your internal drive is pointless, as whenever you download new apps or sync back new ones, they'll be written to the new location anyway, and you'll end up with some apps on your computer drive, some on the NAS, and it all gets messy. Let iTunes do all the work for you and spend more time using the computer/iTunes for what you WANT to do, not manually managing things!

next010

Distinguished Member
So the consolidate moves everything include apps, that's handy I though it only worked on media (audio/video).

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
When I did mine, it did everything. If it didn't, then I don't know how all my apps are in the Mobile Applications folder (in the iTunes Media Folder) on my NAS, and the Mobile Applications folder on my MBP internal drive is empty....

bez.59

Hi, thanks for the replies.

I don't really want to tick the box "Keep iTunes Media Folder Organised" as i have spent a while sorting it out as i want it.

Do i need to tick it to do what you suggested?

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
I guess you don't, but I find it a useful way for all the folders and file names to be uniform, without me having to spend my time doing it all manually. As I said before, let iTunes do the work for you, so you spend more time doing what you want and less time managing files and folders.

But that aside, I guess you don't have to tick it, iTunes should still move it all for you, as it's basically facilitating/automating a folder location move for you, so it should just move it all as-is...

jadmorffier

Standard Member
Thanks so much for this information. I've just started doing exactly what you recommended as it seemed like the easiest way to go about it. I have a question though...

After this process has finished moving my iTunes library across, will I then be able to point my MacBook Pro to the new NAS library and sync say my iPhone or iPad via iTunes on the MBP as well? I plan on getting rid of this desktop after moving the iTunes library on it across to the NAS.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom