Question Moving into new home. Stuck between 1080 or 4k

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by Anthonychall, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Anthonychall

Anthonychall
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hello guys

I've been reading a lot of posts on here and this forum seems to be great and full of information.. I need your help on a choice

Myself and my fiancée are moving into our new home next week and with all the money spent on it I have little left for a TV.

My dilemma is do I get a 48ish inch 1080p tele for around £600 (Samsung) which is going to be a good 1080 or do I settle for a £700ish entry level 4k television? Either way which ever choice I make the technology will be outdated but I do not have the money to spend £1200 on a good 4k

Help!!

Thanks

2. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,904
    What 4k sources will you be viewing? That should be the main question.

I've stuck with 1080 for now as we don't subscribe to Sky or anything else. Just Freeview/freesat and Netflix so I didn't see much point in going 4k right now.

Also, an entry level 4k set probably isn't going to scale up SD/HD sources as well as a decent set so most of your TV viewing is probably going to look worse than it does now.

3. Anthonychall

Anthonychall
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The only inputs I will be using is Sky HD TV, PS4 and maybe an android box.

Cheers

4. martinch

martinch
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Have you considered Sony's W80? It is a very good 1080p set that holds up extremely well against the 4K ones I looked at in terms of image quality. It's a little over your £600 target (£650 for 43"), but I believe there are some free soundbar/Blu-Ray player offers on at the moment.

Also, what's your viewing distance? You may be sat far enough away for the resolution to not be noticable (generally the 2 arguments for 4K are better quality panel & resolution)...

5. Anthonychall

Anthonychall
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the reply mate. I'll be sat approx 2.5 metres away. Just been to Costco and seen a Sony KDL-48W705 for £540. How does that sum up as a TV?

6. martinch

martinch
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm afraid I can't really say I looked too hard at that one - I was more interested in the W80 and X83, although from memory, it looked good (like most modern TVs!) ... From what I can see, it doen't have the full Android "smart" functionality (the W75 does), but I'd say if you like it, go for it. :)

7. Anthonychall

Anthonychall
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for your help mate just got home and I ended up folding for the Samsung UE48JU6400. 4k from 2015. Not a bad model quite happy with it (didn't expect to get a 4k but ended up getting one now haha)

Cheers again

8. martinch

martinch
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    No worries - although it wasn't to my taste (the colours looked a bit over-processed, even in "natural" mode, to me - although this is very much personal taste), it gets great reviews, and is supposed to be a very solid set - I'm sure you'll be very happy with it! :)