Moving House / Sky questions

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Azrikam, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey,

I'm going to be moving in a month or so, and since I'm still within my year contract to Sky, I will probably be moving my dish to my new location. I've got a standard Sky minidish, and Panasonic Digibox.

I know with Sky+, the dishes have a quad LNB, but am I right in assuming that mine is a dual LNB? (it looks like it from the ground, but I can't get close enough to be sure) The reason I ask, is that my new flatmate might be looking into getting a digibox, and I'm assuming that I can then feed a 2nd line from the dish and he can either get a FTA card, or I can pick up a 2nd sub from Sky for his digibox.

Couple of questions:

Will Sky feed a second cable from the dish as part of the relocation fee, even if I don't have a 2nd digibox yet?

If my dish doesn't have a 2nd connection, will Sky upgrade the dish without me having to splurge on Sky+?

Considering my options, am I better off going to an independent installer?

I'm going to have to call Sky to get all the logistics, but I was hoping that you guys could give me some info beforehand, so as to limit the amount of time I have to spend on the phone with someone from Sky. Thanks in advance.

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    There is no reason why you should have a twin LNB on your existing dish unless there had been problems during the installation and you had a faulty single and all he had to replace it was a twin.
    It's very simple to run a second cable from a twin or quad LNB for another digibox, then get a FTV card or a "mirror" subscription as long as both digiboxes are connected to the same phone line.

Relocation fee is £40 and I assume if you pay the £25 which a standard charge for an extra cable run from a twin/quad LNB.
    The £40 fee is for a new dish and single LNB so you might have to pay more for a twin or quad, although
    IF you already have a twin then you should demand a twin on the new dish.

An independent will certainly do everything you want for a price, which will be higher than SKY charge since none of the hardware is subsidised and no cut of a new subscription.

3. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks muchly. :)

From what you're saying, it's probably a good idea to find out if my flatmate is getting a box before I transfer the dish, so that I can get everything set as I relocate. I'll check with Sky about the prices on a dual LNB dish.