1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving House -> SKY or SKY+ ?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by TheDufster, Aug 23, 2002.

1. TheDufster

TheDufster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    About to move house.
    I have SKY digital (few years old now) in my current house.

Seeing as SKY offer a 'free digibox and dish' and you just have to pay for installation, I was going to close the account, leave the kit at the house and start again with new kit at the new house (the old kit keeps requiring a re-boot by unplugging it quite often).

However, I haven't yet made up my mind over SKY+. I think that the £300 plus £10 per month is too much to pay at the moment, and despite a few calls to SKY, I can't get it less than the standard £300.

So......my question is, what happens if I just get a 'normal' SKY digibox first and wait to get SKY+ at a later date? Will I have to pay the extra £12 a month because I will have 2 digi-boxes in the same house (i.e. the SKY box and the SKY+ box)?

2. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You don't have to pay the £12, you could use the box just to receive the free to view (FTV) channels. You can get the card from the BBC. You'll find the number if you search the other threads.

The £12 is a mirror subscription so you get exactly the same channels as you will get on the sky+ box. It all depends on your recording requirements! You could watch live sky whilst the sky+ is recording another channel and you could then record yet another channel from your ordinary digibox.

DaveP

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    The "old" kit is yours(Unless it's rented), no need to leave it behind unless you want to plus if you have already had a subsidised deal you can not have a second unless you try to abuse the system and get something you are not entitled too (by signing up under another name etc).
    The £200 SKY+ deal with cut price "mirror" subscription is only avaliable to existing SKY subscribers who have been on the full package for 12 months+, although it seems you can get a different information depending upon which CS rep you talk too.

If you have a standard digibox then purchase SKY+ they will replace the existing single LNB with a QUAD and run a cable to allow SKY+ to have two connections to the dish. Your existing digibox can be re-located in your home if required and then you can either have a "mirror" smartcard or as DaveP says the FTV smartcard.