Moving house, Plastering dilema??

leeno382

Hi guys, i dont know if anyone can help, we are in the process of moving house, i am currently in the new house, stripping the wall paper, but our aim is to be able to just paint the walls, new skirting boards and jobs a good un, however once ive removed the wallpaper, (currently 2 rooms) the walls dont look to clever, got loads of little nicks and grooves missing? i know its very hard to say but would this just be a case of filling the little gaps and resand the excess in order to gain a smooth wall, or would i have to get the whole room replastered?? at a cost i believe to be £200 per room, ceilings included, the ceiling has stipple artex so needs done anyway?? any advise available i would aprreciate it, thanks :lease:

kBm

Distinguished Member
If i had the money i would plaster the walls for a very smooth finish. Painting would be easy after.

You can fill the holes your self with a bag of plaster, bit messey and you'll spend alot of time sanding down. You wont get a professional 'just plastered' look. But its cheaper!

Wallpapering is another option - the stuff that can hide imperfections on walls. I've done my house this way, the wallpaper has no pattern, just a slight finish so its not too busy and hides alot of bumps and lumps in the walls (even after hours of sanding...)

Orson

Difficult to see without knowing how bad the walls are, but if you're even slightly bothered, I'd take the financial pain now, and get them re-plastered before you move/settle in properly, as it's much more difficult/inconvenient & messy top do when you've been living there, and have everywhere filled with all your stuff.

I assume you' re having the walls plasterborded & skimmed, and there's no better finish, certainly if you want painted walls.

leeno382

Thanks guys, yes ive had 2 plasterers round today, and they both said what you all suggested, you want a solid, nice looking wall, you have to pay up basically, so he's coming out on friday to do the 2 rooms, the only problem ive got now is there are 5 rooms, then i need the kitchen, living room, and halls stairs and landing done!!! DOH!!!!!

ROBIN50N

Thanks guys, yes ive had 2 plasterers round today, and they both said what you all suggested, you want a solid, nice looking wall, you have to pay up basically, so he's coming out on friday to do the 2 rooms, the only problem ive got now is there are 5 rooms, then i need the kitchen, living room, and halls stairs and landing done!!! DOH!!!!!

they wernt gonna recommend anything other than paying up for plastering.

Pinko

Banned
Yeah SBR the walls and skim them. Depends on the artex ceilings, sometimes it's easier to plasterboard over them than skim them as they usually need two coats of skim to kill off the roughness of artex.

leeno382

Yep he suggested using pva or something first then skim? i believe its a nightmare to get the old artex off... i'll leave it upto them....

Ayub

Distinguished Member
I bought an 11 bedroom house around 4 years ago which had artex in EVERY single wall ceiling room bloody toilet underfloorboards infact where you could slap some plaster he had the artex.

Needless to say it had to go, i hired a team of Polls and gave them what i can only describe as a large stanley knife blade tool with a handle i'm sorry dont know what they call it.

Two days later, all the fine patterns were removed and the plasterer simple went over the good plaster and the rest/loose and poor plaster was removed.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom