moving house, freeview replacement

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by tiddlerav, Apr 17, 2004.

1. tiddlerav

tiddlerav
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just moved house and I don't get good Freeview reception.
    I'm going to buy a signal booster to see if that fixes my problem, but if not I'm going to consider Sky.

The new flat already has a Sky dish (shared with other flats in the building). I have a Sky point on the wall, and the builder tells me I just need to get a box to get Sky.

Can anyone tell me how I can get a no-frills Sky box/package?

I've never had Sky before, so I guess I would be a new customer.

I also have TIVO, so I wouldn't be that interested in SKY+.

Any thoughts?

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Well you can just buy a used SKY digibox or brand new one from a variety of sources (ebay, local rag, dealer) but the tricky part is getting hold of a FTV smartcard which allows you to watch ITV1, CH4 and Five and you can not officially buy one of them at this time. The BBC channels do not need any smartcard in the digibox.
    The alternative would be to aquire a digibox and then take out a subscription to SKY, the cheapest package is £13.50 a month (12 month minimum term) and has to be said not very good value.

I am no 100% sure if SKY would be interested in supplying you with a subsidised installation due to living in a flat with a communal system due to warranty issues and having the right to mount a dish on the building. Only a phone call to SKY would clarify their position on this situation and they might be able to offer more options.

In regards to Freeview, have you checked the communal aerial since it might need to be upgraded to improve the DTT reception.