Moving House, Cant install Sky so no SKY HD

Phunky

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I recently upgraded to Sky HD around Jan of this year and before that took Sky broadband around Nov'07 but had been with Sky since April'07

Now i'm moving house next month but the area im moving to is a world heritage site and so i wont be able to put an dish up on my house so wont be able to take my Sky service with me.

What im wanting to know is will Sky kick up a fuss with me? as im guessing each time i've upgraded it will have re-started the 12 month contract notice :/

I would quite happily take Sky TV with me if we could but its just not going to happen.

I've a mate who has his Sky dish mounted in the garden, on a small pole... maybe this could be an alternative for you?

Good Question. I guess you should give SKY a call and hear what they have to say OR check the T&C's you signed when signing up for the subscription...

Let's hear what the outcome was...

Cheers,

F

I've a mate who has his Sky dish mounted in the garden, on a small pole... maybe this could be an alternative for you?

Thats what i thought of myself but as we are moving into a small back to back terrace in Saltaire i dont think we could archive a good line of sight, not unless you could get away with pointing it upwards!

Guess it will be a case of ringing them and seeing whats the best bet just hope the charge is nothing stupid.

I'm guessing if we did take Sky with us we would have a £60-100 installation fee for moving us, which is a joke as the last install was in an apartment and ment handing me a box :/

Thats what i thought of myself but as we are moving into a small back to back terrace in Saltaire i dont think we could archive a good line of sight, not unless you could get away with pointing it upwards!

Guess it will be a case of ringing them and seeing whats the best bet just hope the charge is nothing stupid.

I'm guessing if we did take Sky with us we would have a £60-100 installation fee for moving us, which is a joke as the last install was in an apartment and ment handing me a box :/

DIGISQUARE

DIGICUBE

:thumbsup:

That looks really interesting indeed - in fact if i moved house would i need sky to re-install? cos i know for a fact i could do a better job myself.

Might just looking into a motorised dish instead!

That looks really interesting indeed - in fact if i moved house would i need sky to re-install? cos i know for a fact i could do a better job myself.

Might just looking into a motorised dish instead!

Are they allowed in World Heritage sites then? :D

ATB

Max

Well if its one that i can stick out the back on the little shed i think i could get away with it ;) i just know that Sky wouldnt be able to come round and install anything there.

ATB?!

Well if its one that i can stick out the back on the little shed i think i could get away with it ;) i just know that Sky wouldnt be able to come round and install anything there.

ATB?!

ATB = All The Best :)

ATB

Max

would i need sky to re-install?

No, you can indeed do it yourself, no rocket science involved or contractual obligations (that I'm aware off) that you must pay Sky to do it.

When I moved house I took down all my kit and re-erected it at the new house, then later told Sky of my new address, no questions asked. :smashin:

No, you can indeed do it yourself, no rocket science involved or contractual obligations (that I'm aware off) that you must pay Sky to do it.

When I moved house I took down all my kit and re-erected it at the new house, then later told Sky of my new address, no questions asked. :smashin:

What did you use to align the dish? a meter? ...or a bit of trial and error :rolleyes:

I've found some little "Sat Finders" that has a compass and some form of "alarm" ring when it finds one should be able to sort it with that.

Also found this little gem of a site - http://www.dishpointer.com/

Type in your address and bingo gives you line of site :) shame it seems to be THROUGH the new building if i was to put the dish in the back yard :/

I've found some little "Sat Finders" that has a compass and some form of "alarm" ring when it finds one should be able to sort it with that.

Also found this little gem of a site - http://www.dishpointer.com/

Type in your address and bingo gives you line of site :) shame it seems to be THROUGH the new building if i was to put the dish in the back yard :/

Don't bother putting in your postcode though - it takes you to completely the wrong place!

What did you use to align the dish? a meter? ...or a bit of trial and error :rolleyes:

Luckily I had sight of the TV from outside so I used the Sky Signal Strength meter which is in the Services menu. First I got it basically lined up by looking at my neighbours house and then with the TV on showing the Signal strength\Quality menu I looked through the window and adjusted it until I got the strongest signal possible. Ok, maybe a little rocket science is involved ;)

It's even worth having a small TV and use the Sky box setup temporarily to achieve this, My Dad had one of those meters but it was a cheapy one so wasn't very good, but then he probably got his from Poundland :nono:

Personally the Sky box is a great signal meter so save yourself some money and just use that if at all possible.

Rang up Sky this morning to cancel all my services TV, Broadband and HD sub and everything went well up to the point where the woman goes.

You only took out HD in January of this year so you will have to contact our head office to request cancellation of that services along with your Broadband.

But after she cancelled the TV she then confirmed that Broadband had also been cancelled as your not allowed to have it without taking on Sky TV, so there was just the HD service outstanding.

Strange how you can't have Broadband without TV but you CAN have a HD sub without it!

I have now emailed there head office as i was told and requested that the HD sub be cancelled as its not my fault they cant offer me there services where i am moving.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom