Moving House - Boxes!

chump

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Moving to a new home in June. I need to sort out a load of cardboard boxes for the move. I've seen a number of places online sell them for pretty decent prices if you buy a load of them. Just wondered if anybody has any recommendations or experience with ordering for a house move. Contents are only moving 30 mins down the road in a large transit so they don't need to be bomb proof! :)

Supermarkets , that's where we got ours from , banana boxes are excellent for the job !!!

Supermarkets , that's where we got ours from , banana boxes are excellent for the job !!!

I've tried that in the past but these days unless you're there as they're unboxing them they get compacted for recycling pretty quickly :(

Try places like freecycle..

Thanks. Given how cheap they seem to be online I'm leaning towards just buying a load in bulk. Just wanted to know if anyone has done the same and if anyone in particular comes recommended :)

buy decent ones and sell them when you're finished, like i did on here! :D (was quite a while ago, probably one of my first trades). Tape them with parcel tape and label them by writing on the parcel tape with a sharpie. parcel tape peels off easily, and you still have a nice clean box.

Ask your removal company, ours supplied about 50 boxes of all sizes for free

(Edit, just read your post, Argos sell house movers packs, decent quality for the price)

Contents are only moving 30 mins down the road in a large transit so they don't need to be bomb proof! :)
I don't think he's using a removal company @Bubblin :)

Edit: Too slow :laugh:

I've tried that in the past but these days unless you're there as they're unboxing them they get compacted for recycling pretty quickly :(
I moved last year and got all my boxes (banana ones) from my local tesco.

It's well worth popping in, asking for some and if they will put them aside for you. Mine did and I just took them to the recycling centre when I finished with them.....

Hth

+ 1 for the Costco boxes here, I moved a couple of months ago. Think they were just over ÂŁ1 a box for 18" square double walled, they come in packs of 15.
I filled 45 boxes plus another 15 tuff box crates that were around ÂŁ4 each ! Still cheaper than what the removal companies wanted......

I'm also moving (next week actually) and I bought these

Ambassador Packing Carton Double Wall Strong Flat-packed 457x305x305mm Ref SC-64 [Pack of 15]: Amazon.co.uk: Office Products

They're a great size that even when filled to the brim with books you can still lift them. Not so big that they're difficult to carry and they're very strong (I have them stacked 6 high in my storage unit without a problem at all). At about ÂŁ1 each and delivered next day for nothing if you have Prime they are a steal.

I also bought this

Einhell EINBTHT90 Folding Truck 90 kg Capacity: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

which has saved my back from a lot of pain lifting/moving the boxes. It's been very robust so far and definitely worth the ÂŁ25. There was this one which looked better

Sack truck Hand trolley with foldable toe - Pneumatic tires - Heavy duty 200kg/440lb: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

but they couldn't guarantee to get it to me in time before I moved. Still, very happy with the one I did get and even if it broke now I've had my ÂŁ25 worth.

If I'm finished with all mine by June you're welcome to have all my boxes for a nominal fee as I'm never ever ever moving again...

G

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I'm also moving (next week actually) and I bought these

Ambassador Packing Carton Double Wall Strong Flat-packed 457x305x305mm Ref SC-64 [Pack of 15]: Amazon.co.uk: Office Products

They're a great size that even when filled to the brim with books you can still lift them. Not so big that they're difficult to carry and they're very strong (I have them stacked 6 high in my storage unit without a problem at all). At about ÂŁ1 each and delivered next day for nothing if you have Prime they are a steal.

I also bought this

Einhell EINBTHT90 Folding Truck 90 kg Capacity: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

which has saved my back from a lot of pain lifting/moving the boxes. It's been very robust so far and definitely worth the ÂŁ25. There was this one which looked better

Sack truck Hand trolley with foldable toe - Pneumatic tires - Heavy duty 200kg/440lb: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

but they couldn't guarantee to get it to me in time before I moved. Still, very happy with the one I did get and even if it broke now I've had my ÂŁ25 worth.

If I'm finished with all mine by June you're welcome to have all my boxes for a nominal fee as I'm never ever ever moving again...

G
Thanks! I'm also moving June. Links above seem like they'll do the job :)

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Go to small independent shops as in my shop i get people coming in all the time asking for boxes and happily let people take as many as they want free of charge (although its always nice when a few people bung me a few quid for a beer every so often lol)

I'm also moving. I got mine from my workplace. I didn't even know until I asked around that the dispatch department had plenty of boxes they are slowly getting rid of. I've taken 24 of them. Worth asking around

I'm also moving. I got mine from my workplace. I didn't even know until I asked around that the dispatch department had plenty of boxes they are slowly getting rid of. I've taken 24 of them. Worth asking around

Crazy that you've counted them? :laugh:

When we last moved house we had the packing service from our removals company. Everything was wrapped and boxed and furniture taken apart. Absolutely brilliant and I will never do it myself again.

Crazy that you've counted them? :laugh:
I have not actually :p I was asked if 24 would be enough for me. When I got there there was a pile of boxes sitting and waiting for me. I've not counted but it looks like roughly 24 :)

Last edited:
When we moved last year we did the same scouring local shops, supermarkets etc.

Best result was from Freecycle where we got proper double walled boxes, single wall are useless as you cant stack them. Once we moved we stuck them all back on freecycle for the next person to make use of, good recycling Id say :)

Pro tip: home cinema amplifiers and speakers usually come in big strong boxes - kill two birds with one stone by treating yourself to an upgrade and getting some boxes as well.

Pro tip: home cinema amplifiers and speakers usually come in big strong boxes - kill two birds with one stone by treating yourself to an upgrade and getting some boxes as well.
Finally a Pro Tip from you IMBW that I completely agree with and am also embracing very shortly with a Yamaha 3050 coming my way :D

I googled cardboard boxes and found a packaging type company nearby to where I live. I popped in and they had loads spare from various contracts they had completed. In return for a donation for the company christmas do they let me take a shedload of them.

I don't know how commen places like that are but its worth a look. The boxes were really solid thick ones. Pretty much strong enough to stand on.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom