Moving house and Sky+

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Blagmeister, Sep 29, 2003.

1. Blagmeister

Blagmeister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone managed to get Sky to waive the installation fee when they've moved?

I want to get Sky+ now but am likely to be moving in the next three months and don't really want to pay the £50 re-installation fee.

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Well considering that a reinstallation means that SKY have to pay for a new dish/LNB/cable and an installers time I think the price is reasonable.

How about getting a new installation in your new home by signing up for SKY as a new subscriber under your partners name?
    Technically it is fraud since you are not entitled to a second subsidised install but many have done it with no problems.
    You could of course go straight to SKY+ at your new home, the £1 install might still be an option and once the Quad LNB is fitted you can install the existing digibox yourself or slip the installer a few quid to run another cable.

3. Blagmeister

Blagmeister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1. I suppose so. The new house will have a dish already as they have regular Sky - but not an LNB as they don't have Sky+. What is an LNB anyway?

2. I hadn't thought of that. But as my wife has the same surname wouldn't they see through that?

3. Sorry I don't quite follow that last bit! If I wait till I move they'd do it all for me anyway.

4. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    I'm in exactly the same position - don't want to pay £50 now, then again when we move in 3 months (Not that I have a problem with them charging - engineers have to come out twice).

I didn't think there were any £1 deals for new customers at the moment.

I don't know what the deal is regarding whether or not you've had a subsidised deal before. Your partner hasn't signed any contracts in the past - just a question of what the new contract says.

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

1. It's the cone shaped device on the end of the dish arm, the signals are reflected off the curved dish and focused on the LNB which turns the signal into an electrical signal and then sent to the digibox.

2. Probably not, assuming you have cancelled the previous contract and not given SKY a forwarding address they won't go into the trouble of vetting a potential new customer. Any doubts go to an authorised retailer who will be happy to take your cash and place the order.

3. You said you didn't want to spend £50 for reinstallation. If you wanted SKY+ at your new addy and were no longer a subscriber then order the £1 SKY+ install, SKY supply and fit the SKY+. If you then want to use your old digibox as a FTA/FTV receiver you will need to add another cable from the dish to the digibox, the installer might do it for a small back hander or SKY will do for a £25 charge.

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

The online £1 deal is still active for new customers, couldn't log onto the SKY current subscriber option to see what was on offer:(

The wording of the subsidised install T&C's (last time I looked) implies that if you or anyone in your household has previously had a subsidised install then you can not have another one, very all encompassing.
    Probably too much to be honest since it doesn't take into account kids, divorces etc.

7. Blagmeister

Blagmeister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah I follow you know. I hadn't thought about being able to use my current box for FTA viewing. Another excellent idea.

Thanks for your advice Starburst! :p