Moving house and found my jazz mags.

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
Nothing major and no one probably cares lol. Just thought I’d share my old magazines that have survived 3 house moves and about to survive another as I move the last keep stuff from the old house. Forgot all about them till now.

Also got a number of Mclaren F1 mags too. And yes a real jazz mag was there too lol! Well FRONT magazine which amounted to the same thing only with articles that you did read……eventually.

Loved Edge magazine, more grown up. Won’t make them worth anything even the 1st edition. I clearly remember the PlayStation launch and Wipeout too. Ditched my Ridge Racer pre order as I couldn’t afford both, £300 wasn’t cheap back then!

4E342CEC-134B-4238-A517-9EBAA64EB472.jpeg
D45B499A-6727-4696-A7D0-B4EAAB3AAAEB.jpeg
4E5F6EC4-B164-4287-A982-8F9F23022E29.jpeg
42F0821A-0EEC-421F-BC71-D9342BD53027.jpeg
3522FE1F-E120-4AC7-8132-CB2ADD3B0329.jpeg
6AE0CF5B-2E58-402E-BCE7-63F1B883C0D0.jpeg

lpoolm

I miss buying magazines, it's just not the same anymore, examining screen shots of new games,thinking how amazing it looks, letters page, loved it!
However, I hated edge magazine! Probably as you said it, more of a grown up magazine for me! Loved the many Playstation mags, loved getting games demo discs. Loved gamesmaster mag and don't get me started on the amiga mags with the floopys on the front, heaven, I would go back to them days tomorrow!

tazmago

Distinguished Member
Ive got loads of Edge mags stored away. I have the Issue 1 as well, but there is an Issue Zero as well, I think it was like a preview issue, that’s the one that brings a bit of money on eBay.

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
Ive got loads of Edge mags stored away. I have the Issue 1 as well, but there is an Issue Zero as well, I think it was like a preview issue, that’s the one that brings a bit of money on eBay.
Just looking now on eBay. God if only I kept some of those. Bought all the pricey ones!

pRot3us

Distinguished Member
I had a suitcase full of Edge, SNES and PC Format mags, but threw them all out about 10 years ago while having a big clear out.

I still have my bound ZZAP! 64 magazines though! 😍

Apsilon

Senior Moderator
Still got all my first editions of Edge, GM, Super Play and countless others. They’re in a storage box in a garage. I used to like Edge in the early days, but as time wore it became a really pretentious magazine that disappeared up it’s own ass. I vaguely remember reading a copy a few years ago and there was about 3 game reviews and endless boring articles about developers, the game industry or stuff that, as a gamer, I simply wasn’t interested in. It struck me as being less a game magazine and more a coffee table GQ clone. It’s stablemate Games Machine was way better because it concentrated on the games.

I tell what I do miss though, the days of standing in WHSmiths reading the magazines for about two hours, before buying about four of them 😄

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
Still got all my first editions of Edge, GM, Super Play and countless others. They’re in a storage box in a garage. I used to like Edge in the early days, but as time wore it became a really pretentious magazine that disappeared up it’s own ass. I vaguely remember reading a copy a few years ago and there was about 3 game reviews and endless boring articles about developers, the game industry or stuff that, as a gamer, I simply wasn’t interested in. It struck me as being less a game magazine and more a coffee table GQ clone. It’s stablemate Games Machine was way better because it concentrated on the games.

I tell what I do miss though, the days of standing in WHSmiths reading the magazines for about two hours, before buying about four of them 😄
Yeah it was a GQ type mag at times. I didn’t mind it too much but they did go too far at times. Tho just like AVForums, scoring was an issue. I remember they got so fed up of people looking at the score and complaint, they stopped scoring games for a little bit.

Fair play tbo but it went down like a sack of the proverbial.

Darko

This was the mag I lived for, every month I was excited for it and read the thing cover to cover at least 20 times,

I miss the world of magazines like this

1655274672994.png

Apsilon

Senior Moderator
This was the mag I lived for, every month I was excited for it and read the thing cover to cover at least 20 times,

I miss the world of magazines like this

View attachment 1710574
I used to love that. I remember when it started as a supplement in C&VG. Tony Takashi’s Mean Machines I think it was called.

Squirty

I still have my bound ZZAP! 64 magazines though! 😍

God that brings back memories! I used to love ZZAP!

I also used to have a complete collection of 'Input' mags as well as 'Amiga Formats' until her indoors made me throw them away! :(

Like others above I loved the letters pages, there was a very funny and acerbic guy called Louis who used to reply to them. The dafter the letter, the more he ripped it, great stuff! :D

xar

Edge magazine - that's a blast from the past. Bought them from first edition for years.

Also used to get the old home cinema mags in my late teens, but can't recall the name of them for the life of me...

SunnyIntervals

I've got a couple of PS2 launch mags (partly because I have a letter published in one of them!). I used to buy the official PS mag (demo CD!) and one of the unofficials too. Life was a little slower paced back then and probably better for it. It's a wonder there are any mags left with the internet pushing info at us every minute of the day.

I also used to pick up T3, which used to feature a lovely lady on the cover, but that eventually came to an end, bah. And for a while I had a subscription to FHM, I still have some of them including the Gillian Anderson issues :thumbsup:

MEGATAMA

I was reading many gaming magazines but EGM was best for me ❤️

roundhed

I have two copies of the first issue [EDGE] one still in the plastic wrapper, I missed the preview issue at the time.
Also liked C+VG and Mean Machines - and Super Play which was Nintendo I think.
There was also a magazine called MAXIMUM, pretty sure Richard Leadbetter was involved, it was really good but had a very short run [?]
It's a long time ago now.

Last edited:

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
I have two copies of the first issue [EDGE] one still in the plastic wrapper, I missed the preview issue at the time.
Also liked C+VG and Mean Machines - and Super Play which was Nintendo I think.
There was also a magazine called MAXIMUM, pretty sure Richard Leadbetter was involved, it was really good but had a very short run [?]
It's a long time ago now.
Yeah I had MAXIMUM. Thick magazine if I remember. Liked that one a lot.

Rawschach

Distinguished Member
I used to read ACE (scored games out of 1000) Amtix (didn't last long that one) Amstrad Action, Zzap 64, one of the Playstation magazines when it was first launched (cannot remember the name)

I still read Edge, really good magazine

jeffsayhi!

Standard Member
I was obsessed with gaming magazines (and demos!) throughout the N64 - Dreamcast - PS2 - Xbox 360 days).

I still have nearly every issue of Edge, which has always been my favourite (this pic doesn't show all of them as I was moving house at the time).

Attachments

• edge.jpg
    edge.jpg
    337.1 KB · Views: 28

dnandrews

Like others, I've been collecting Edge since issue 1 and also have 2 copies (the person on the till in WH Smith was rather bemused when both myself and a friend bought two copies :) each), one of which is still sealed in its black bag and now framed.

I also have a very large collection of console magazines from around the world, mostly from the 1990s when there were so many titles, it just got insane.

Attached a couple of images, one of my Edge 'rack' which includes Edge 1-373, all double/additional cover variants, subscriber cover versions, about 40 of the issue 200 variants, both sets of Edge Spanish runs, some Edge German edition, USA Next Generation, all specials (Annuals, Retro, Equip etc.) box sets, and 2 of the signed issue 323. Only issue I am missing is issue 0, which I missed out on, even though I was visiting gaming trade shows at the time and have other issue 0s.

TBH, I still buy Edge, and read some of it but I'm just trying to keep up the collection until it inevitably ends it physical form.

The other image is the rest of the console mags, Japanese mags on top shelf, multi-format on next shelf, Nintendo/more multi-format, then Sega and Xbox/PS etc. It includes Mean Machines, EGM, Nintendo Power, Super Play NMS, PSM, MegaDrive Fan, The Super Famicom etc. etc.

Used to have things like Sinclair User, Your Sinclair and PC mags but I threw them out a few years ago.

A few years ago, I catalogued them all (I must have been very bored!), I currently have around 1,150 magazines and 118 different titles.

Attachments

• Console_Magazines_Nov2021_v2.jpg
    Console_Magazines_Nov2021_v2.jpg
    895.9 KB · Views: 19
  • Edge_Magazines_Nov2021_v2.jpg
    Edge_Magazines_Nov2021_v2.jpg
    368.4 KB · Views: 18

Darko

Like others, I've been collecting Edge since issue 1 and also have 2 copies (the person on the till in WH Smith was rather bemused when both myself and a friend bought two copies :) each), one of which is still sealed in its black bag and now framed.

I also have a very large collection of console magazines from around the world, mostly from the 1990s when there were so many titles, it just got insane.

Attached a couple of images, one of my Edge 'rack' which includes Edge 1-373, all double/additional cover variants, subscriber cover versions, about 40 of the issue 200 variants, both sets of Edge Spanish runs, some Edge German edition, USA Next Generation, all specials (Annuals, Retro, Equip etc.) box sets, and 2 of the signed issue 323. Only issue I am missing is issue 0, which I missed out on, even though I was visiting gaming trade shows at the time and have other issue 0s.

TBH, I still buy Edge, and read some of it but I'm just trying to keep up the collection until it inevitably ends it physical form.

The other image is the rest of the console mags, Japanese mags on top shelf, multi-format on next shelf, Nintendo/more multi-format, then Sega and Xbox/PS etc. It includes Mean Machines, EGM, Nintendo Power, Super Play NMS, PSM, MegaDrive Fan, The Super Famicom etc. etc.

Used to have things like Sinclair User, Your Sinclair and PC mags but I threw them out a few years ago.

A few years ago, I catalogued them all (I must have been very bored!), I currently have around 1,150 magazines and 118 different titles.

Fantastic collection, I wanna come over and read for a few days!

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

PSB Speakers unveils Passif 50 loudspeaker
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Samsung Gaming Hub goes live
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Huawei unveils FreeBuds Pro 2 true wireless earbuds
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sony unveils Inzone gaming brand