Question Moving home, getting an accurate estimated speed?

Discussion in 'ISPs & The Internet' started by adamdavi3s, Aug 20, 2018.

1. adamdavi3s

adamdavi3s

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    Hi All,

We're looking at properties in a very rural area.
    I'm trying to determine an accurate broadband speed for a particular property, as much as we love it 1.5mb isn't viable for my work.

- There is no active broadband at the property and it is vacant so we have been unable to test it

I'm getting totally different results depending on where I look, and I mean to the extent that I am being told its connected to two different exchanges and speeds ranging from 1.5mb to Sky contractually agreeing a minimum of 63mb

I've been through various providers, BT's dslchecker, samknows, Kitz

Does anyone have any good tricks up their sleeves?

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,548
    So the BT Wholesale checker shows no FTTC available but Sky are willing to provide it (I don't think Sky supports any other technologies at that speed). They should both be using the Openreach database so the different results are curious if they were both given the full address.

Have you checked for local FWA/WISP providers?

3. adamdavi3s

adamdavi3s

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    Thank you for the response, I had looked for some FWA providers, sods law we have one in our current area but not the one we want to move to! the EE 4g might be an option but the signal isn;t that great.

The BT DSL Checker shows it as FTTC which I assume is where most places are pulling their availability from. I think its the fact that the postcode covers a wide area with properties on two different exchanges and some of the places I have looked at are just making an assumption about the postcode as a whole and not refining it when selecting the address. Zoopla for example against the particular property only shows the slow speed but I am betting their lookup is postcode based.

Maybe I should accept BTs output as correct and stop worrying!

Exchange GREENHAM is served by Cabinet 9
    Capture.PNG

4. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,408
    Even though the property is vacant can the vendor not provide any history? Perhaps the previous phone number?

Fibre cabs should be numbered on the outside so maybe have a wander around the vicinity & see if you can find Cab 9. It should be close given the high speeds estimated. Then see if you can collar an Openreach engineer in the local area to get an idea of how full the cab is.

Bear in mind that speed guarantees don't actually guarantee you the service promised. Just that you can leave the contract if it's not achieved.

5. adamdavi3s

adamdavi3s

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    Exactly, my main concern.

I think you’re right and a good old walkabout is required! At least a drive around google street view this evening!

Thank you

6. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,408
    Worth a try but Google's images can be quite old. My cab went live in 2015 but doesn't exist on Streetview. In fact my Streetview images are over 9 years old!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  7. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,548
    I'm not sure about Zoopla but I know Rightmove doesn't even bother to estimate line distance. It just quotes the national average speed of services which are available at that postcode so the results can be wildly off. (e.g. 67Mbps on a house that can't get 2Mbps).

I'm only take serious notice of those that require a full address and not just a postcode. Are any of them giving a conflicting result?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  8. wormvortex

wormvortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +443
    Go knock on the next door neighbours door? Unless by rural you mean the only house for a mile then you're find that their speeds will likely be similar to yours.

9. adamdavi3s

adamdavi3s

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    Yeah that isn't a bad shout, there is one house 200 yards down the road but thats it for about 1km. Their address shows 8MB fibre so I am going to assume we're in that vicinity

Had a brief visit to the property yesterday but had tired children so no time to drive around, spotted the cables coming in overland so lets face it, so with signal degradation no chance in hell its 63mb unless the cabinet is in the middle of a field!

10. wormvortex

wormvortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +443
    For speeds of 63mb you're going to be looking at around 600M away from the DSLAM so unless you if it's overhead follow the cables and if there is a box around 600M away then you are in luck if not it is wrong