Moving Home = Free install

J Roadley

Established Member
Reaction score
OK, this maybe old news - but I am moving house soon and phoned SKY today to see what the crack was. Last time I moved, I had to pay £40 as the new house didn't have a dish on it.

The "new" house I am moving to soon, has a dish on but only a single cable as the current owners only have SKY Digital.

I said, I wanted to cancel my subscription because the dish on the new house looked dated etc... and they came back and said they would install all new cabling and new dish if need be and also hookup both my HD box in the lounge and also my SKY+ to the master bedroom for FREE.

Have I got a bargain here, or is it the norm.

OK, this maybe old news - but I am moving house soon and phoned SKY today to see what the crack was. Last time I moved, I had to pay £40 as the new house didn't have a dish on it.

The "new" house I am moving to soon, has a dish on but only a single cable as the current owners only have SKY Digital.

I said, I wanted to cancel my subscription because the dish on the new house looked dated etc... and they came back and said they would install all new cabling and new dish if need be and also hookup both my HD box in the lounge and also my SKY+ to the master bedroom for FREE.

Have I got a bargain here, or is it the norm.

I moved about a month ago. We had the same as you, only single cable in. I had Sky + then, but also requested multi-room. There was no charge for the install but I'm not sure if going for multi-room made it free. I was very impressed with the install as well, not like the cowboys who did my last install! Sky HD set up today by local dealer (well they came out and plugged in the HD box and let me do the rest!), no need for Sky installer charge.

Thanks for this.

Im moving house next month and have already decided if they try and charge me £40 to re-install Im going to cancel and get the missus to sign up as a new Sky Plus customer.

Sounds like with a bit of pressure they'll do it for free anyway?

Sounds like with a bit of pressure they'll do it for free anyway?

I'm sure you're right - I used the old bargaining tool of "Hang on, if I tell you I'm moving you'll charge me forty quid, if I cancel Sky at my old house, then ring you up from my new house and say I want to become a Sky customer you'll install it for free. What's the point in telling you I'm moving?" at which point the girl pretended to check how long I'd been a Sky customer, said because I'd been with them for X years and a loyal customer she offered to do the install for free. I guess they'd rather lose the forty quid installation cost but keep you as a paying customer, than risk losing you as a customer altogether.

They told me it was a "Special Offer" they were running.

But as you say, I pay them £63.50 a month so they want my money!

Last time I moved customer services told me they would re-install for free as I had given them two weeks notice of my move. Any shorter period would incur the £40 charge.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom