Moving Fuse Box and Electricity meter.

DJ_Bucho

Established Member
Reaction score
I know that similar questions have been asked before, and I think I read all of them before asking this question, just so I wasn't re-inventing the wheel.

In my house I'm completely refurbishing the kitchen. One of the things that has really bugged me from day one is the awful meter box, which is far too big and really badly made. What I'd like to do is create a much neater installation so that the box is inside a kitchen wall cupboard, so that it's accessed via the cupboard door. That way it won't look out of place and will appear invisible to all that don't know it's there.

The slight problem I have is it's mounted on a large and disgustingly old board that is in turn fixed to the wall, which has old flaky lime plaster on it. I want to remove all the plaster, clean up the wall and fuse box, make a new panel for the back and then have the meter and fuse box remounted on it. The box will fit no problem, as it can stay in the same place, but I'd like the meter mounted on the left of the fuse box, rather than the right as it is now, because it would foul the edge of the cupboard where it is.

I've read about costs in the region of £500 every time somebody wants a box moved, but almost all of the posts I saw required additional cabling or trenches etc. All I need is it taken off the wall so I can clean up the back, and then put back slightly differently.

Does anyone on the forum know what this is actually likely to cost, because it does seem rather excessive to have to pay £500 to NEDL to simply allow me to clean up the manky board it's on and provide a nice new housing that befits my new kitchen.

I've attached a photo taken when I first uncovered it.

Any advice on this matter would be very much appreciated.

MankyMeter.jpg

If you get the meter and main fuse moved outside, it's very cheap. My local electricity company (EDF) did mine for £60 a couple of years ago.
I had to collect the cabinet from their local depot (free) and fit it to the wall. I also had to get a sparky in to run the new "tails" from the consumer unit down to the meter cabinet.

2 guys turned up, bang on time, complete with a cherry-picker to run a new cable from the gable end down to the cabinet. They moved the meter and, when the sparky was ready, connected the new tails to the meter.

I though that the service was excellent.

While the sparky was on site, I had a new CU fitted (actually 2 - an extra one for off-peak supplies) on a new board ready for new kitchen wall units. He also fully checked and signed-off the rewiring I'd done myself in the previous few months. His services cost me £400.

What you want to do is really what would happen if the house is rewired, but without the rewire, in that the supply fuse needs to be removed so that you can disconnect the internal wiring to do what you need. The metal tag on the fuse should only be broken by the electricity company, or I think an electrician can get permission to do it, and then all you're paying for is the electricity to come back and put a new tag on. This I think will be a lot cheaper than what it costs to move a meter.

The problem I think you'll have is that the white wires coming from the meter look like 2.5 T&E to me, and if they are the electricity company would refuse to replace the fuse as they aren't large enough. Though it is puzzling how you've got a new meter with undersize wires connected, with apparently the approval of the electricity company as the meter tag looks intact.

The problem I think you'll have is that the white wires coming from the meter look like 2.5 T&E to me, and if they are the electricity company would refuse to replace the fuse as they aren't large enough. Though it is puzzling how you've got a new meter with undersize wires connected, with apparently the approval of the electricity company as the meter tag looks intact.

i was thinking similar as well , we have just had new supply ran to the house , they also fitted a new fuse and meter on a new board , summat weird going on here :confused:

I would stop exactly what you are doing and call a registered electrician PRONTO!!!!!!

That installation looks very suspect to me, especially with those 'tails' coming out of the meter.

There are a lot of things that need checking and more than likely upgrading, especially earthing arrangements as it looks like you may not have any!!!

Dont delay, do it tomorrow.

As for a registered electrician to sign off someone elses work, this is NOT PERMITTED and is technically against the law.

Good luck.

im not an electrician, infact i have to double check when wiring a plug. but why has no one spotted all of the melted plastic? obviously the box in the middle is new, but im alarmed that the whole thing wasnt taken out and replaced when the old one obviously caught fire!

What you want to do is really what would happen if the house is rewired, but without the rewire, in that the supply fuse needs to be removed so that you can disconnect the internal wiring to do what you need. The metal tag on the fuse should only be broken by the electricity company, or I think an electrician can get permission to do it, and then all you're paying for is the electricity to come back and put a new tag on. This I think will be a lot cheaper than what it costs to move a meter.

Thanks RichardK - the house is being rewired currently. When I got the house my Dad and I weren't very happy with the wiring at all and so it's in the process of being ripped out now. Even a qualified electrician isn't apparently allowed to touch the NEDL fusebox or meter.

The white wires as you suspect are 2.5 T&E and don't comply with CURRENT regs, but they did when they were put in a few years ago. Meter tags are all intact and haven't been disturbed. But you might have missed the point: I would like to move the meter because otherwise I won't be able to fit it in the cupboard.

I would stop exactly what you are doing and call a registered electrician PRONTO!!!!!!

That installation looks very suspect to me, especially with those 'tails' coming out of the meter.

There are a lot of things that need checking and more than likely upgrading, especially earthing arrangements as it looks like you may not have any!!!

Thanks niceguy235uk; but it's not as bad as you think. That photo is quite old now, and as I said above it's all going away. What I didn't show you is the separate isolator and Consumer Unit that is fitted below the meter and fuse box (I omitted it for clarity) the earths that are fitted (and there is definitely an earth rod and everything is connected to it). We had a registered Electrician round a while ago and he's had a good look and is OK with our current progress. He also pointed out that what we thought was an old black fuse box is still being used today as the design hasn't changed for around 20 years and it just looks old. He also mentioned that the Tails would need to be upgraded to comply with current regulations. The five wires you can see behind the unit have all been disconnected some time ago.

im not an electrician, infact i have to double check when wiring a plug. but why has no one spotted all of the melted plastic? obviously the box in the middle is new, but im alarmed that the whole thing wasnt taken out and replaced when the old one obviously caught fire!

Thanks JagoPlasma, but there isn't actually any melted wire at all, and certainly no evidence of there ever being a fire. What I think you might be confusing that with is either the old paint that is on the mounting board, and has obviously run down behind the original units, or maybe the wire that's been disconnected from the unit but can be seen in the top of the photo. When the Fuse Box and Meter were replaced, NEDL didn't replace the mounting board, and the reason it's so black and awful looking is because of it's age and the fact it's never been cleaned in years and years and years. That's why I'd like to replace it.

Hi DJ Bucho,

How did you get on with the problem, im just asking as im in a similar perdiciment. Im installing a new kitchen and someone about 20 yrs ago decided to make a piece of post modern art out of elctrical wiring and fuse box installation and gas meter install, Andy Warhol has nothing on them. Apart from getting it moved outside (ideal option but just heard it would be 2K pls for gas electric) then its inside but just tidying it up, so just want to see if i can get a sparky to move the fuse box to another wall (same wall as main inlet for power) to do it rather than the electrical company. Any advice welcome.

Cheers

Gordon

your own fusebox can be meddled with by an electrican, the meter can be moved by your supplier free of charge normally but only by a small degree depending on their contract with the local distribution board. The main incoming fuse can normally only be touched by the local RSB (regional supply board) or their chosen distribution board, your supplier might be able to arrange for it to be moved for you but you might get charged by the RSB for the work depending on what needs to be done.

In other words, call your supplier first with anything regarding a meter as they may be able to arrange the work for free......if you (either posters query) require simply removing the meter (possibly main incoming fuse as well) so you can have it all smartened up, your supplier can probably arrange for a job where they will come in the morning to take it all down, then come back in the late afternoon or the next day to put it all back up when the wallwork has been done. Alternatively you can try contacting the local distribution board to see what they can do without involving your supplier, but charges are random, as per above, some bloke somehow got relocation work done for £60 (are you in a vulnerable position, ie over a certain age etc? that might be why it was so cheap as they have restrictions on charges for certain types of consumer), others get quotes of £400, £800and £2k for moving supply points to another part of the property etc.

As for a registered electrician to sign off someone elses work, this is NOT PERMITTED and is technically against the law.

Good luck.

NOt if they have the full Test and inspection qualification can't think of the BS number. Also need different insurance but it can be done IIRC.

BEst to get a local spark to have a look and advise they often have a good relationship with the LEB guys and know what can and can't be doen and also what to ask for. It may be a lot cheaper to move a supply for certain reasons ;)

Last edited:
£60!!! EDF!? I just got quoted £2,834!!! :eek: They can suck my nuts if they think I am going to pay that! :nono:

Thing is, the current meter is a H&S hazard! It has an exposed wire! Yank that thing and you're toast!

What should I do about that?

To clarify a few items:

In my area (South West) any connections or reconnections to the incoming supply, to include replacement, re,moval or up-rating of meters or incoming supplies need to be accompanied with an NIC (or equivalent) Completion or Periodic Inspection report. This is now the way that Western Distribution removes itself from any H&S responsibility i.e they require someone elses signature to state that the installation complies with B.S:7671 (17th Edition if you prefer).

Looking at your photo it appears there is no supplied earth (PME/TNCS or TNS) so an Earth Stake (TT) would probably be your earthing method. This carries with it lots of new(ish) and confusing requirements for protection, often the easiest and most cost effective method is to provide RCBO protection (individual RCD's) for all outgoing circuits. Main equipotential bonding to the water and gas services are also a fundamental must. With correct circuit protection (a new board containing individual RCBOs) and correct supply (tails) and earthing arrangments you will have the basis by which to move on (assuming there are no underlying issues with the wiring itself).
The moving of the incoming cut-out and metering (which belong to the supply authority) will really come down to how the incoming cable arrives. If it is an underground cable then, as you might imagine, the work involved in cutting back, re-routing of or digging it up from the exterior can and will incur a charge dependant on works required. If it is an overhead supply then this can often easily be re-routed down an external face to a new (surface or recessed) box. Your electrician will obviously need to install new tails (usually 25mm) from the distribution unit to the new meter position. At this stage you may well be able to obtain a PME/TNCS (supplied earth) connection on your cut-out (dependant on position and wiring methods used from the transformer) which will negate the reliance of the earth stake.

HTH

Steven

Last edited:
NOt if they have the full Test and inspection qualification can't think of the BS number.

Wrong.:rolleyes:

BS has nothing to do with it.

The insurance is extra not different.

And again, a qualified and registered electrician is NOT PERMITTED to sign off others work.

Last edited:
In this area the Council did run a "signing off" scheme for a period to allow newly built housing estates to be tendered for by non Part-P comliant contractors. My understanding is that the local Council, NIC and ECA are now keen to remove the term "signing off" and now all such things are refered to as "certified", as in Inspection Reports whereby you the Inspecting Engineer become fully "liable" for the work, in much the same way as any compliant contractor would be issuing and registering a Completion Cert.

Good luck.

What a fantastic line!!!:thumbsup:

And again, a qualified and registered electrician is NOT PERMITTED to sign off others work.

You seem very certain of this, are you a sparkie?

Im not wanting to doubt you but we have contractors in work that do the work and then get it signed off by an electrictian and have always told us this is ok.

Id like to see a link to legislation or whatever as if it is the case, goodbye for them :hiya:

You seem very certain of this, are you a sparkie?

Im not wanting to doubt you but we have contractors in work that do the work and then get it signed off by an electrictian and have always told us this is ok.

Id like to see a link to legislation or whatever as if it is the case, goodbye for them :hiya:

Thats a very big can of worms you want to open :D

Basically, if you work for yourself, then no you cant.

If you work for a company then they generally have the installers and the tester.

Then the QS signs the cert.

The last 2 sets of people very rarely actually see the installation but its their neck on the line and not the installers.

So im afraid what your contractors are doing is legal and above board.

Confused???

Just try asking your local building control the same question:rotfl:

Last edited:
To be serious, if you specify a tariff that requires a different type of meter (e.g.econmy7) the company must come and change the meter free, so far as I understand. They did it for us

Then get a local electrician to install a new consumer box

Try consumerwatch, or whatever they are called now

To be serious, if you specify a tariff that requires a different type of meter (e.g.econmy7) the company must come and change the meter free, so far as I understand. They did it for us

Then get a local electrician to install a new consumer box

Try consumerwatch, or whatever they are called now

Your meter is just that.

Its a meter to record the usage, whatever tariff you are on.

And they dont always change them for free.

Well, it turns out EDF now say that British Gas are responsbile, they came round (1 day and 6 hours late without telling me!) and they said it is EDF. Now EDF are refusing to budge and they said "well it is your responsibility even if someone gets electrecuted" ***!!! I mean, what complete and utter *****! So my question is, can a sparky move it without informing EDF?

Last edited by a moderator:
In short, yes they can, for half the price!

I had it moved for a total cost of £1000 (£1800 less then EDF quoted).

Now I am trying to get my fuse box connected and got a quote for £600. "Perfect" I said. Now he is charging £230 more as he said that did not include parts, yet his other quote for £1000 to move the meter included parts and labour! Rip-off coming? I think so... so I told him to do it for £600 or **** off!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom