Quantcast

Moving from USA to Macau and I'm thinking to bring my 80" Sharp Aquos LED HDTV. Can I make it work?

Ness7891

Novice Member
So I have a 80" Sharp Aquos 1080p 240hz LED Smart 3D HDTV I bought a few years ago. I was trying to sell it, but I may just have my international movers include it within my shipment overseas to my new residence in Macau if I can't get a good deal (time is running out too). Obviously though even if I get it to my new place there is the problem of getting the right voltage conversion and frequency handled correctly. Here is the model I'm talking about:

LC-80LE844U | Sharp 80 Inch TV | 80 Inch Smart TV | Sharp 80 Inch TVs

So I've looked into how to go about this a little bit on my own accord. The USA runs on 120V and 60hz for their electric output correct? Macau runs on 220V and 50hz.

I looked at my TV's manual. It is listed as running at 120V at 60hz at 307W of power consumption.

So I'm wondering if there is a converter available for purchase that converts both the voltage and the frequency. I've seen something like this on Amazon, but decent reviews, but not all seem promising. This one doesn't seem to convert the hz though. Frequency in is the frequency that comes out.

Amazon.com: Simran AC-1500 Step Up/Down Voltage Converter Transformer 110V/220V - 1500 Watts: Home Improvement

However reading reviews on these products and others I've heard people talk about how they're using their LED TVs in other countries with a different voltage and hz. So I don't know. Any suggestions on how to make this dream happen?

camelot1971

A lot of newer televisions have multi voltage PSUs in them so they can work around the world. Your TV is probably a US only model and hence can't be easily switched.

You can buy step up transformers but to be honest, as youngsyp pointed out, the tuners probably wont work and the risk of damage for that trip must be enormous.

If I were in your shoes I would sell it for what I can and get something local. Or, if you are planning to be back in the US at some point, put it into storage?

Ness7891

Novice Member
From a power perspective yes, it's possible and not uncommon to do what you're intending. The linked power supply seems to offer what's required too.
However, don't expect the TV's inbuilt tuners to pick up any TV stations as the frequency ranges used for terrestrial broadcasts will likely be different.

Paul
Oh well I just wanted to play my PS4, utilize Netflix through that, and play blu ray discs. I'm not really interested in watching "television" via channels. I just want to be able to turn the thing on and not have it explode.

Ness7891

Novice Member
A lot of newer televisions have multi voltage PSUs in them so they can work around the world. Your TV is probably a US only model and hence can't be easily switched.

You can buy step up transformers but to be honest, as youngsyp pointed out, the tuners probably wont work and the risk of damage for that trip must be enormous.

If I were in your shoes I would sell it for what I can and get something local. Or, if you are planning to be back in the US at some point, put it into storage?
Thanks. Been trying to tell it, but no one is really biting. And I'm moving soon so I have to make a decision. Seems like the big worry I have at this point is that even if I can get it over there, will a voltage converter be good enough to maintain everything.

rayferry

You need a step 240v - 110v step down transformer you can use something like this, a 1Kv would be more than adequate for running a TV.

Site Transformers | CPC UK

I got one of these for my uncle who brought a lot of equipment back from the US, I took the output sockets off and replaced them with a US socket faceplate.

Last edited:

Ness7891

Novice Member
You need a step 240v - 110v down transformer you can use something like this, a 1Kv would be more than adequate for running a TV.

I got one of these for my uncle who brought a lot of equipment back from the US, I took the output sockets off and replaced them with a US socket faceplate.
Anything I could get off Amazon? I don't live in the UK.

camelot1971

camelot1971

You need a step 240v - 110v down transformer you can use something like this, a 1Kv would be more than adequate for running a TV.

He is going from 110v to 220v so needs a step up one :)

camelot1971

I can't find an answer on that. If the TV had a motor it might but perhaps someone with electrical knowledge will be along to help.

SonOfSJ

He is going from 110v to 220v so needs a step up one :)
As rayferry says in post #12, his TV will be expecting to receive 110V. But in Macau, the power supply is 220V. So he needs something to convert from Macau input 220V to the 110V that his giant Sharp US television needs. Ergo, he needs a step DOWN transformer.

I once bought two Tannoy TS12 subwoofers from the States, and connected the first one to my power supply without thinking ... there was an immediate BANG. I suppose it's lucky that I didn't have them both connected! Anyway it cost me £250 to have the damaged subwoofer reapaired, and it cost me £80 to buy a step DOWN transformer so that the other one would work. I'm in the United Kingdom, 230V.

Last edited: