• Welcome to AVForums running Xenforo 2.2. The upgrade from 2.1 was successful and finished in just 90 minutes, well before 8am. The most notable changes in 2.2 are listed in this post.

Moving from US to Ireland

Jnelson

I have put a lot of money into my home theater: Panny 4000, Onkyo 5007, AppleTV, PS3, Paradigm speakers. No worries about the speakers, but what about the rest of the stuff? Can I buy transformers that will allow me to use the existing equipment? Or will I have to sell and start from scratch?

scartlead

I have put a lot of money into my home theater: Panny 4000, Onkyo 5007, AppleTV, PS3, Paradigm speakers. No worries about the speakers, but what about the rest of the stuff? Can I buy transformers that will allow me to use the existing equipment? Or will I have to sell and start from scratch?

You can buy transformers to reduce voltage to 110v for using american products for us europeans no problem.

an example being UK to USA Voltage Convertors : Power Supply Convertors - Traditional : Maplin

regarding your tv, you may have an issue with regards to its native ntsc tuner system built in. Where abouts you moving to ?

Last edited:

Jnelson

Many thanks. I know we all like to buy new gear--part and parcel of the disease we have-- but this stuff is new.

Haven't settled on final location yet. My wife's family are in Kerry so that is the likely locale. Any recommendations for broadband access in that part of Ireland?

mossym

Distinguished Member
apologies for the late reply to this thread, only saw it now.

if you buy one of those maplin converters expect your gear to up in smoke. those are only rated for a couple of hundred watts, you plug your gear into one of those and you'll be drawing way more than that and they will fry.

i did the same as you are planning, moved back from the states after 6 years there, brought all my HT gear with me, including a big old HD RP CRT, i bought a 3kW transformer to power my gear, and it has worked fine. Don't ahve much of it left now, but i do still run an american model Denon AVR, but that was bought since i moved back.

the ntsc tuner won't work, but american tvs in general are very poor at accepting european signals, honestly i'd sell the tv and buy new then you get here. If not, you'll have to look at some way of converting pal to ntsc, which isn't easy.

european tv's to the us are much easier to deal with

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom