Answered Moving from Sky to Virgin Media

Reaction score
Hi
Put notice in to Sky to end my TV & Multi screen as my 60% deal was coming to an end.
I'm now considering Virgin Media for my TV as they have the new V6 box which is apparently better than the crappy old Tivo boxes.

I know VM don't have Sky Atlantic which is a pain as I do actually watch a few things on that chanel

Has anyone moved from Sky+ HD to Virgin Media and have the V6 box is it any better?
How's the operation of the V6?
How smooth was the move?
Do you prefer Virgin now?
Would you recommend it?
Did you manage to get a deal?
What are you thoughts now you have moved over?

Any advise or help would be appreciated from customers who have moved from Sky to VM

Just also realised it's time to give notice on Sky Fibre Max so hopefully VM have resolved the over subscribed fibre in my area as it was really poor last time

I moved TV from Sky HD+ to VM about a year ago and couldn't be happier. The installation service from Sky was appalling - I tried to go the Sky Q route when it came out but the engineer was even worse than the one who did the first install, so I gave up completely with Sky. I also moved my phone/broadband from BT to VM - wow, what a difference. I now have super fast, reliable bb, all Sky/BT channels (except Atlantic) and sport/movies in three rooms. The V6 boxes are great - no interruptions during bad weather. Remote works really well and intuitive. If you are in a VM cabled area I ca't see any reason not to go with it.

I'm sure there are just as many people who would say Sky is so much better than VM but, for me, it's been the best AV decision ever.

I moved TV from Sky HD+ to VM about a year ago and couldn't be happier. The installation service from Sky was appalling - I tried to go the Sky Q route when it came out but the engineer was even worse than the one who did the first install, so I gave up completely with Sky. I also moved my phone/broadband from BT to VM - wow, what a difference. I now have super fast, reliable bb, all Sky/BT channels (except Atlantic) and sport/movies in three rooms. The V6 boxes are great - no interruptions during bad weather. Remote works really well and intuitive. If you are in a VM cabled area I ca't see any reason not to go with it.

I'm sure there are just as many people who would say Sky is so much better than VM but, for me, it's been the best AV decision ever.

Had virgin a few weeks now and got used to it.
Can't fault it if honest

I'm seriously considering the jump now as well. There used to be guys in here who could get you refferal deals but think those posts got shut down. Think I could only jump if I managed to get one as I'm currently in a 60% off deal with Sky. But I really miss having BT sport but no way am I paying full price for that

I'm seriously considering the jump now as well. There used to be guys in here who could get you refferal deals but think those posts got shut down. Think I could only jump if I managed to get one as I'm currently in a 60% off deal with Sky. But I really miss having BT sport but no way am I paying full price for that

I was on 60% with Sky
Moved to VIP bundle with VM.
Was £135 per month then discounted to £90 but went through TCB £250 works out £69 for full shabangs everything with x2 V6

just had my virgin installed yesterday after jumping from sky q (i hated skyq- kept freezing and boxes would have to be rebooted almost every day )

- i prefer the layout on the TIVO box for the channels - for me much easier to use.
- broadband is 216mb (on speedchecker) compared to the 38mb i got on sky / bt fibre
I've not properly tested the broadband yet (as in multiple simultaneous downloads / streaming etc)

Over the last few years I've gone from Sky + to Tivo to Sky Q and finally to V6 a week ago.
There is very little difference between the 2 VM boxes bar speed.The Tivo used to lag terribly,the V6 doesn't.The interfaces are very similar.
I hated the Sky Q interface....and the remote.Much prefer the VM set up and unless Sky make some major improvements to their interface and remote I won't be going back

I am thinking of moving from sky to virgin myself. I currently pay sky £130 a month that’s for all the channels, lfc tv, sports and films oh and unlimited phone line as parents use it.
I pay £30 a month BT sports that’s going up and £32 broadband. I can get the whole lot with virgin for £130 saving of £60. I have seen some offers but think I would have to cancel then rejoin a month later for better offers though I’m not sure I would get much better than that as first year it’s £100 a month and 12month contract.

I currently have sky q but don’t watch tv much as I work 8 hours a day sleep around 5 hours then commute to work etc ten when I’m home I mainly game oh and regarding football every other week I’m travelling to the games so I feel I pay to much and don’t watch tv much but still like having the choice of having all the channels if makes sense

I've just put my notice in with Sky. Like others I have never gelled with the Sky Q interface, it really need a redesign. I was considering just moving BB but think I will just go all in with Virgin.

in the process of moving home and I’ve just had VM installed in the new place after over a decade with Sky. We have the Sky Q box and a Sky Q mini box in the bedroom and they are shite. I don’t mind the interface but the main box will freeze regularly especially in non eco mode (I now have Itsat on top of a small laptop cooler) and the mini is frankly garbage.

in the process of moving home and I’ve just had VM installed in the new place after over a decade with Sky. We have the Sky Q box and a Sky Q mini box in the bedroom and they are sh*te. I don’t mind the interface but the main box will freeze regularly especially in non eco mode (I now have Itsat on top of a small laptop cooler) and the mini is frankly garbage.
Lad at work just sent the whole Sky Q back to Sky, Had it less than a week i think and said it was shit and that sky+HD was way better. Still freezes and crashes and he was always resetting the kit.

I've had Sky Q for 18 months and in the early days it was awful. The mini would frequently disconnect and the only way to get it to reconnect was to hard reset the main box, so I installed a smart plug as I was fed up of going downstairs to turn it off and on. Both boxes would regularly freeze or glitch.

Recently though I haven't had any problems and in fact can't remember he last time I needed to reset a box. My main beef now is the useless menu system. It records multiple copies of programs. I have about 10 of each episode of Ben & Holly etc. It makes finding them hard as you have scroll 10 before you come across a different episode. Oddly though you can start an episode, press i and then scroll through that way. The i way also gives more on demand episodes than the main EPG. It really is a mess.

Lad at work just sent the whole Sky Q back to Sky, Had it less than a week i think and said it was sh*t and that sky+HD was way better. Still freezes and crashes and he was always resetting the kit.

Yeah, definitely can’t recommend SkyQ at all. No point having loads of bells and whistles if it’s not stable. The mini box is the most disappointing though, where I currently live the distance from the main Q box and the mini is I will admit quite a distance so it really struggles to connect to the main Q box. It won’t even talk to it through WiFi even though I have enterprise class AP’s scattered throughout the flat so I have rely on a power line connection.

Yeah, definitely can’t recommend SkyQ at all. No point having loads of bells and whistles if it’s not stable. The mini box is the most disappointing though, where I currently live the distance from the main Q box and the mini is I will admit quite a distance so it really struggles to connect to the main Q box. It won’t even talk to it through WiFi even though I have enterprise class AP’s scattered throughout the flat so I have rely on a power line connection.
And there charging you £12 a month for this 'fluid' multiscreen experience. They taking the piss mate with charging customers for multi screen which dont have it's own feed and non recording boxes

Quidco have now got £250 cash back for the Virgin VIP package so I have signed up for that because taking in account the cash back it comes down to around £70 a month for 12 months

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom