Question Moving from Sky Q to Smart TV Freesat (or buy a box?)

JaffaCake69

Novice Member
Hi, I'm sorry if this is a simple question, I've clicked around this forum and there's a lot of clever people using terms I find hard to follow!

I have just got rid of Sky Q, a main box in the living room and a mini box in the bedroom.

I was going to switch to a freesat recorder, but then I noticed on my LG Smart TV I have a Freesat option on there. A bit of clicking about and it seemed all I needed to do was unplug the wires from the back of Sky Q (I know I need to send the boxes back!) and stick them in the back of the telly.

A bit of googling and I found a place the 2 wires could go, but only one hole they fit. Above it is a hole you'd put an aerial in, do I need one of those to make this work? I tried an old portable aerial, it didn't seem to work (and what do I do with the second ex-Sky wire anyway, doesn't that need to be plugged in somewhere?).

I'd scanned for Freesat on the Smart TV before and found no channels. Now I have one of the Sky wires plugged and screwed in I can find a load of channels, but there's no pictures.

I read on this forum about an LNB but I don't know what that is or what it does, I've tried googling but don't really understand what I need and what it will achieve.

If I get Freesat working on the Smart Tv, I'm presuming I still couldn't do everything I could with a box, especially recording stuff?

Am I better off just paying for a box and plugging the 2 Sky wires in the back of that? I watched a video on that and it seemed very simple. But obv I don't wanna spend £200 on a box when I could have just plugged the wires into the telly, or bought a little converter thing (is that an LNB?) and plugged them in and away I go?

I've given up Sky Q because of the price, it just didn't seem worth paying, I've been away from home a long time nursing my Mum (successfully thankfully) back from Covid. I'm presuming there's no watching recordings/downloaded content to watch while travelling via Freesat? That's not too important, it's just making sure if I buy a box it's needed!

Thanks in advance, and sorry again as I'm sure this is dead simple to those in the know!

logiciel

The LNB is the thing on the dish that receives and transfers the signal.
As you had Sky Q the signal will not work with the TV.
You can replace the LNB cheaply and either fix it yourself or have it done.
It needs only the one cable though that restricts what the TV can do.
You would probably get most of what you need from Freeview anyway without using the satellite at all.

rs101

You can either change the LNB, or get the new Freesat box, which works with the Q LNB.

Or see how you get on using Freeview and the various on demand apps.

JaffaCake69

Novice Member
Thanks for replying!

How can I use freeview without a box (or using these cables) tho, since I stopped Sky Q I have no pictures. I presume I have no aerial (I had Sky put in when I moved in) so guess I won't be able to rceive anything without either a box or using the sat cables (or paying someone to install an aerial old school style?).

Unless there's an idiot proof guide to changing the LNB I think u can probably see I wouldn't be techy enough to do it?

rs101

The easiest option would be to buy the new Freesat box and plug the 2 Sky cables into it.

That'll give you pretty much all the free channels (except 4HD).

TJT1

You don't need a box for Freeview, just an aerial unless you need a recorder.
If you want to record stuff, forget all about that, as the TV is unlikely to satisfy all but the most basic time shifting facilities do what you want unless you just want to record what you are watching. That's Freesat or Freeview.
Simplest solution is as rs101 said, is th get the new Arris Freesat box. Plug and play.

logiciel

You would probably get FV using just a cheap indoor aerial.
At least try it first.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
You would probably get FV using just a cheap indoor aerial.
That probably about a 10-20% chance (at best, especially in modern houses with foil-backed insulation and plasterboards) and reception is likely to be variable (unreliable).

The transmitter network is designed around the use of external, directional, receiving aerials mounted 10 metres above the ground.

If the OP posts their location (nearby postcode of a shop etc.,.) then we can use some prediction tools to determine what will be needed for Freeview.

JaffaCake69

Novice Member
thanks again for taking your time to reply guys....

I'll try with this old portable aerial to see if I get freeview that way, but I think a combo of quite fancying recording (the thing I miss most about Sky Q) and probably not being able to convert the LNB without step by step instructions means I'll probably get a freesat box in that case. Plug and play sounds right with my capability! I think I saw that one was 4k enabled so would suit well

JaffaCake69

Novice Member
That probably about a 10-20% chance (at best, especially in modern houses with foil-backed insulation and plasterboards) and reception is likely to be variable (unreliable).

The transmitter network is designed around the use of external, directional, receiving aerials mounted 10 metres above the ground.

If the OP posts their location (nearby postcode of a shop etc.,.) then we can use some prediction tools to determine what will be needed for Freeview.
Messages crossed....I'll still try with the old aerial but understand what u say.

I do live near the Crystal Palace transmitter if that still counts for anything and in an old Victorian house, SE24 post code

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Herne Hill/Dulwich postcode area. Fair chance it will work, but may be unreliable still due to people and traffic etc.,. moving around.

Much of the signal from CP will be beamed 'over your head' toward the horizon; and aerial positioning can be critical to get all frequencies equally. Best if the TV room is on the side nearest to the transmitter and aerial not pointing through a row of houses which can stop the signal dead.

But you may be lucky, though. Fingers crossed. Absolutely the right thing to try an aerial that you already have, of course.

Do read up on the new freesat PVR (Arris box) as it does have a few teething problems I believe. Go in with your eyes open/prepared!

rs101

And remember that even though the new Arris box is UHD, there's no UHD Freesat content at all (and nothing announced as coming any time soon).

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom