Question Moving from LG 55EC930V OLED to what next at 65"

Anastie

My budget is up to £2500 max. However, I would prefer to keep it closer to £2000. I was looking at another OLED as I have always felt this was the way forward for ultimate picture quality. That was until I read reviews on Samsungs Q90R QLED that's available just under £2000!
I'm out of touch with some of the latest tech such as Dolby Vision which the Q90R does not have (Does it matter?) What are the must-have features moving forward?
I no longer use a separate receiver for sound, preferring the use of my soundbar. Therefore the quality of inbuilt sound from the TV matters less.
Viewing distance around 3.9m
As ever all advice appreciated.

Last edited:

thedoswells

My budget is up to £2500 max. However, I would prefer to keep it closer to £2000. I was looking at another OLED as I have always felt this was the way forward for ultimate picture quality. That was until I read reviews on Samsungs Q90R QLED that's available just under £2000!
I'm out of touch with some of the latest tech such as Dolby Vision which the Q90R does not have (Does it matter?) What are the must-have features moving forward?
I no longer use a separate receiver for sound, preferring the use of my soundbar. Therefore the quality of inbuilt sound from the TV matters less.
Viewing distance around 3.9m
As ever all advice appreciated.
Hi. To start....
Will your viewing conditions generally be dark, average, bright?
Will you use it for gaming?
Do you have, or likely to get, 4k streaming services such as Netflix, prime etc.?
4k Blu-ray player?
Do you mainly watch head on or at an angle?

Just trying to establish the main uses before trying to recommend...
Cheers

Anastie

Hi. To start....
Will your viewing conditions generally be dark, average, bright?
Will you use it for gaming?
Do you have, or likely to get, 4k streaming services such as Netflix, prime etc.?
4k Blu-ray player?
Do you mainly watch head on or at an angle?

Just trying to establish the main uses before trying to recommend...
Cheers
Some good points!
mixed viewing. Wife watching during the day and both of us at night. Mixture of HD from sky Q , Netflix and Amazon. 80% viewing head on with one chair for father in law to the side around a 3 o clock position to TV. Dont plan on using Blu-ray as tend to use streaming services. No gaming.

thedoswells

Some good points!
mixed viewing. Wife watching during the day and both of us at night. Mixture of HD from sky Q , Netflix and Amazon. 80% viewing head on with one chair for father in law to the side around a 3 o clock position to TV. Dont plan on using Blu-ray as tend to use streaming services. No gaming.
well from that profile I would suggest you could go down the lcd or oled route.
i would suggest that oleds will give you the most accurate cinematic type of experience. Dolby vision is not essential as you can still play content with DV on tvs that support HDR but not DV, but youll get the benefits by having it. Some content that uses it is incredible.
the Panasonic gz950 and LG c9 are both excellent, especially for the highest quality hdr content. The Sony ag8 is also very good but not rated quite as high as the others for hdr, and you are paying to some extent for excellent built in sound which you wouldn’t use. It is however possibly the best for slightly lower quality content.
if you could manage one of the other 2, the gz950 or c9, in your budget I think you would be more than satisfied... there are small advantages of each of these over the other, but not huge..
just my opinions and in no way am I saying the q90r is a poor choice.

Anastie

Thanks for the reply. When looking at OLED again it was the penny 950 or the LG I was considering. The QLED Samsung was cheaper and it triggered my interest. Having used an OLED set for 5 years I certainly don’t want to feel like I’ve taken a step backwards.

thedoswells

Thanks for the reply. When looking at OLED again it was the penny 950 or the LG I was considering. The QLED Samsung was cheaper and it triggered my interest. Having used an OLED set for 5 years I certainly don’t want to feel like I’ve taken a step backwards.
i think you would notice a difference to be sure.
unless you can get the LG cheaper than the panasonic then I’d go for the gz950 simply because you won’t really be getting benefit from hdmi 2.1 on the LG, as you won’t be gaming. Also to note, the LG does have a much more modern and slick os than the panny, but the panny os is quick and stable...

Dodgexander

Are you happy with your current OLED?

If you are going to mainly pair the new TV with only HD sources you are better sticking with what you have.

All content that isn't UHD has to be upscaled, so on a larger UHD model HD content is not going to look quite as good as on a native, smaller model.

A new TV will make gains on your old TV provided the source quality is better, think about UHD streams and TV instead of HD. UHD Blu-Rays instead of normal Blu-Rays and if you are a gamer, UHD consoles.

HDR too, the more HDR content the better.

Lvrhs

Because, viewing distance is 3.9m, You can buy 75 inch TV, like Sony XG9505 in Your budget. Rather than 65 inch OLED or Q90