Moving from CRT! Which TV is recommended?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by OutOftheLoop, Dec 13, 2017.

1. OutOftheLoop

OutOftheLoop
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2
      Hi everyone,
      I am a complete newbie to the world of modern TVs but have been reading these forums alot. I currently have a 32inch massive CRT (if anyone still remembers what that is) and it's probably time for an upgrade. Looking for a 50-55inch, up to £800 (willing to wait until spring 2018). that will last me another 10-15 years or so before considering an upgrade. From what I gather from these forums - the main recommended one is the SonyXE90 if the price comes down in Spring. Are there anymore I should be keeping an eye out for?

Question/answers below:

1. What are your sources going to be? Freeview SD and HD channels, Amazon, BT Sports, online HD Streams. (have 76mbps internet)
      2. SD vs HD vs UHD use percentage? (currently all SD) expecting 30%, 60%, 10%
      3. Movies, sport, console games, PC use (in percentage)? Movies and sports mostly (50 50)
      4. How close can you view the TV? about 3 meters (10 feet)
      5. Do you need to view the TV from the side or only straight on? need wide viewing
      6. What conditions do you like to view in? Quite bright during day time viewing, usually have some form of light in the background during night time viewing.
      7. What are you currently using and what do you expect by upgrading to a new TV? Currently have 32inch CRT, expecting to join the 21st century! Hoping for better picture quality, bigger screen and viewing experience.
      8. Are you interested in being able to use motion enhancements on your TV to reduce judder and/or reduce motion blur? Yes. I have seen BBC MOTD on some new TVs but it had a "scrolling" effect that hurt my eyes. I've also seen examples where movies appear to have a fast-forward effect. I guess I'm looking for a motion experience similar to my CRT.

PQ attributes: I can't really say I know how the brightness, saturation accuracy etc would look like to me. I'm hoping they're all better than the CRT.

pet hates related to TVs, in descending order:
      The biggest one I came across was the motion issue.
      Also for a bright room, I want to avoid a reflective screen
      And any other issue that would look worse than my current TV.

Now which is most important to you?
      Price
      Long warrantly (alas this rules out the ebay DX902 deals)
      HD PQ
      SD PQ
      Connections

Thanks all!

2. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,297
      You have to understand the differences in technology between CRT and LCD, by the very nature of the tech you aren't going to have motion as smooth. With LCDs (or OLEDs even) you are very limited with how much information you can draw on the TV at once, which is what creates that "judder" when you see ticking scroll bars or a ball moving across the screen.

The best you can do from a motion perspective is to use enhancements on a TV to smooth this out..but who knows, maybe you will be happy with motion without them? Have you demo'd motion on any LCDs in the shop to see if you find them too juddery?

The other thing to consider is the handling of SD material isn't going to be great on a larger TVs and especially not UHD models.

The Sony XE9005 is indeed the best all-round TV and I wouldn't be surprised to see it close to that price in spring when the clearance sales start. Its a the cheapest model where you start to get decent HDR..but if you don't have any HDR sources I am not sure you wouldn't be happy with a cheaper alternative like the Sony XE85 or Samsung 55MU7000 instead.

If you find motion acceptable on LCDs out the box though you can go even cheaper again and will be happy with a TV like the Hisense N6800 or Sony XE70xx series.

3. OutOftheLoop

OutOftheLoop
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2
      Thanks Dodge, I'll get some demos lined up for the models you suggested.

4. dannnielll

dannnielll

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +557
      N
      Now or at the January sales is a good place to start. Almost any LCD tv including those of 2006 vintage is such a stepup from crt you will be crying as to why you did not make the transition earlier. I assume that your cr t was the standard 625 line variety.. I had a very good model sony 29inch crt which went in for an extended repair and didn't come back for 6 months.It was perfectly repaired Meanwhile I replaced it, in I think 2006, with a LG 32 LCD. .. when the sony returned I switched it on but was so disgusted with the picture quality that I never used it again and eventually brought it to the dump. The lines are just so noticeable. For 800 quid you will get a super tv there will be no motion smear and viewing angles are wide enough...
      I don't have 4k my most recent tv being 4 years old, but if I was buying now I would get it.

5. gorman

gorman

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +39
      The answer should have been plasma, IMHO, but that tech has been abandoned (and it wasn't feasible for 4K from all I understand).

6. OutOftheLoop

OutOftheLoop
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2
      Just thought I'd update this as I bought a 55inch Hisense 8700 from JL a couple of months ago and am loving it :)
      The size, clarity and even the motion was better than expected (especially after I switched off the motion processing). World cup on a large screen in 4k (thanks BBC) is a real treat.

Thanks all for the advice.

7. Hixs

Hixs

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,249
      32" CRT to 55" 4k - now that is an upgrade :D I went from a 32" 720p LCD to a 55" 4k set a couple years back and thought that was a proper upgrade, but you have out done me.