Question Moving from 5.1.4 to 7.1.4 ...... worth the expense?

joffy1780

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, longtime member, haven't posted in ages, but looking for some advice please.
So my current setup is 5.1.4 with the front and rear heights (KEF Q50s) currently sitting atop of my fronts (Q750s)and rears (Q150s), but with plans to wall mount these pretty soon.
I'm thinking of going 7.1.4, but my sofa is only 40cm from the rear wall and my surrounds are about 2.4m apart.
My AVR is a Denon 3600 which means I would need a 2 channel amp as well as additional speakers to go 7.1.4.
Given the space constraints, I'd considered a pair of KEF T101s for the rears and would look to buy a second hand amp with a budget of around £250 for the amp.
Do you think it would be worth the expense?
And if so, would you use a lower budget amp to power the rears, or go for a better amp and use it to power my fronts, possibly an integrated amp with a H/T bypass?
Looking around on ebay I'm confident I could get an Arcam a80/85 or something of a similar quality within my budget, and could look to use it for 2 channel sources as well.
Any thoughts, advice or recommendations would be most appreciated.
Pic of rear wall below.
DSC_0169.JPG

Personally, I'd stick with 5.1.4. Ideally for 7.1.4 to work at it's best you'd have more space behind you.

You are too tight for a workable 7.1.4 so I agree with the above. You would have to bring surrounds to the side of the sofa and they would be firing at each other with little space between them so the width of the room is against a 7.1.4 as well as the depth.

Thanks, guys much appreciated.
You are too tight for a workable 7.1.4 so I agree with the above. You would have to bring surrounds to the side of the sofa and they would be firing at each other with little space between them so the width of the room is against a 7.1.4 as well as the depth.
Thanks, I couldn't really move the surrounds, so I think I have my answer.

I'll have to upgrade something, somewhere, I've got the itch.
Not keen on my blu ray player 😂

If you wanted to improve music it's still worth considering an Integrated Amp with HT Bypass.

Might be worth asking for suggestions in the AV Receivers and Amplifier section of the Forums. :thumbsup:

If you wanted to improve music it's still worth considering an Integrated Amp with HT Bypass.

Might be worth asking for suggestions in the AV Receivers and Amplifier section of the Forums. :thumbsup:
Yeah, I'm leaning toward that now. Thinking of putting the extra from the speakers and getting a decent 2nd integrated amp.
Thanks 👍🏻

If music is important then certainly a HT by-pass stereo amp will bring dividends to your stereo listening. It's how I have my Denon set up. Simple, easy to use with the added benefit for the Denon with the saved power being shared out to the remaining connected speakers. I really do not like my Denon for stereo music.

If music is important then certainly a HT by-pass stereo amp will bring dividends to your stereo listening. It's how I have my Denon set up. Simple, easy to use with the added benefit for the Denon with the saved power being shared out to the remaining connected speakers. I really do not like my Denon for stereo music.
I was actually looking at your comments on another thread regarding the musicality, or lack thereof, of your 6500.
I'm using the setup for about 80% movies/TV, but have always had it in the back of my mind to add an integrated amp for music in the future. I'm now concerned that the quality of my source may not be up to the job and I'll need to upgrade that as well......and so it begins 😁

It's a slippery and expensive slope. Worth it though for the upgrade to music.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom