• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Moving files from iMac to a Macbook not yet purchased?

• Thread starter Deleted member 241106
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 241106

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of selling my 20" unibody iMac running Snow Leopard but have lots of iPhoto, Garageband and iTunes files i'd like to transfer to a new machine when i buy one. I have a USB 1TB external HD which is used for backing up with Time Machine.

If i sell my iMac now but keep the external HD, can i just plug the HD in to the new machine to restore all of my files?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

rimibar

Established Member
Hello Rodd,

Exactly that - when you first switch on your new Mac part of the 1st start asks whether you have a Time Machine back up from a previous machine, click restore from Time Machine backup and all of your stuff will appear as if by magic on the new machine! Great stuff eh? :clap:

Current machines run Lion and in the coming weeks Mountain Lion, the new OS. Both of these also have a relatively hidden application called Migration Assistant. If you choose not to restore as part of the 1st start up you can call this up in Spotlight (Keyboard shortcut is CMD and SPACE) - just type mig and it will suggest it immediately.

Cheers

D

Deleted member 241106

Thanks guys, my iMac has Snow Leopard but i may just buy another Macbook with Snow Leopard too. Would i still be able restore the backup on another Snow Leopard machine?

dante01

Distinguished Member
Thanks guys, my iMac has Snow Leopard but i may just buy another Macbook with Snow Leopard too. Would i still be able restore the backup on another Snow Leopard machine?

Yes, but only via the migration assistant. You'd not be able to use the older TM backup in conjunction with the new Mac and you'd only be able to use the data to migrate the old data to the new Mac. The old TM backups cannot be used in conjunction with TM on the new machine, but you can use the backup to migrate with.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 241106

Yes, but only via the migration assistant. You'd not be able to use the older TM backup in conjunction with the new Mac and you'd only be able to use the data to migrate the old data to the new Mac. The old TM backups cannot be used in conjunction with TM on the new machine, but you can use the backup to migrate with.

Sorry for sounding a little thick but does Snow Leopard come with Migration Assistant or is this something id need to download before plugging the TM backup drive in to the new machine?

dante01

Distinguished Member
Sorry for sounding a little thick but does Snow Leopard come with Migration Assistant or is this something id need to download before plugging the TM backup drive in to the new machine?

Snow Leopard has the Migration Assistant. It is located in your Utilities folder and comes with the OS. If you've the TM drive attached to the new Mac when you first power it up then you'll be asked if you want to use the TM data to migrate with.

Ensure your copy of Snow Leopard is fully up to date and this will in turn ensure that your copy of Migration Assistant is fully up to date as well. You may find this of some use:

Mac OS X v10.6: How to use Migration Assistant to transfer files from another Mac

This section in particular:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4413#3

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom