Moving content from SKY+HD box to PC

BAW9DV

Standard Member
Hi,

Not posted in a while but having just had my SKY+HD box replaced with a new SKY-Q box, I now find that my downloaded/saved content does not "transfer" to the new box - something they did not tell me .....

Ok, so I have looked at a few threads about moving content - and it seems that saved movies would be encryted so unable to transfer. But I do have a lot of programmes saved that possibly could be retrieved.

I'm interested in the idea of removing the hard drive from the SKY+HD box (the box cannot now be used because it's disconnected, so using a DVD Recorder is not an option) and thought about removing the drive and placing it into an external "caddy", connecting it to the PC via USB and then identifying and copying the TS files across to my PC (I have an additional 10TB External HDD so plenty of room) and then checking the programmes out and converting them to MP4.

So, is this a good idea? Do I need any special software to do the copying or will the caddied drive just show up in Windows 10 Explorer and let me copy the TS files across manually?

Can anyone see any problems with my potential method?

Thanks for your kind help,

Regards,

Lee

logiciel

Recording programmes is now a thing of the past as everything is streamed.
I don’t think copying is feasible and trying would be a waste of time.

simon194

Hi,

Not posted in a while but having just had my SKY+HD box replaced with a new SKY-Q box, I now find that my downloaded/saved content does not "transfer" to the new box - something they did not tell me .....

Ok, so I have looked at a few threads about moving content - and it seems that saved movies would be encryted so unable to transfer. But I do have a lot of programmes saved that possibly could be retrieved.

I'm interested in the idea of removing the hard drive from the SKY+HD box (the box cannot now be used because it's disconnected, so using a DVD Recorder is not an option) and thought about removing the drive and placing it into an external "caddy", connecting it to the PC via USB and then identifying and copying the TS files across to my PC (I have an additional 10TB External HDD so plenty of room) and then checking the programmes out and converting them to MP4.

So, is this a good idea? Do I need any special software to do the copying or will the caddied drive just show up in Windows 10 Explorer and let me copy the TS files across manually?

Regards,

Lee
First off, you will need a driver that can read a disk that uses the proprietary XTVFS format used with Sky boxes. If I remember correctly windows sees the drive as unreadable.

A guy did create some "paid for" software that could be used to copy Sky+HD disks and extract unencrypted content but it hasn't been updated since 2016, so probably can't read the current database files that are used to index the contents of the disk.

teeveedee

Hi,

Regards,

Lee
The only bit of software I know of that was capable of doing this is called ExPVR, but it, as has already been indicated, not been updated since 2016.

Download ExPVR - The XTV & Sky+ Recording Copy Tool - pH-Mb

It does state that it supports the later Sky+HD box models (DRX890 & DRX895) so it may still work, but who knows. Might be worth a go if you've got some time to kill.

Many of your old saved programmes may still be available on the On Demand section of Sky Q so you may be able to re-download them to your new box. Also, any purchases you previously made from Sky Store can be re-downloaded again.

cuke2u

Unfortunately then probably the only way is to capture the stream live through a hdmi device...

crockett

As mentioned earlier in this thread to have any chance of extracting FTA recordings from your Sky+HD box these days you need to be using ExPVR.

cuke2u

I don't think it works with a SkyQ box though as the software hasn't been updated since 2016..

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom