Moving away from Fibaro HC2....other options?

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by Desmo, Apr 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    I'm thinking of moving away from the Fibaro HC2....it does some fantastic stuff with a lovely interface but I'm getting to the stage where I'm getting fed up with it as it's just becoming too inconsistent in operation. When it's working fine it's great, but then scenes just stop running, firmware updates sometimes work and sometimes don't....it's just a little bit too much of a pain. It should be "set and forget" but it's more "set and forget then have to fiddle to get working again".

So....where do I look from here?
    Sometimes standard logic scenes aren't quite enough for what I want to do so a little fine tuning with LUA comes in very handy.
    I often use API access from other apps to run scenes and operated devices so I'd like that too.

I'd prefer another standalone device, maybe the new Vera Plus? But I'm also open to a Z-Wave adaptor and other software I can run as I have a Windows server that is permanently on. Like I say though, I'd prefer a standalone device.

2. blicky_1

blicky_1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    What don't you try a Vera/Vera Plus? Bearing in mind how cheap they are compared to HC2 if you did not like it you could sell for near what you paid....

3. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Suspect you may find a whole new set of issues , probably better speaking to Fibaro and sorting out

4. RajP

RajP
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,071
    I agree with Seb from AClass that it is a mine field and you will get different issues there too. I have a HC2 and find that my system has been running without any issues for a long while.. I get uptime of over 50-60 days without any restart.. It just works.. What are the issues you get before you jump shop??

5. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    I'm getting scenes that work consistently just seen to stop working. I'll reboot the HC2 and they still don't work. I tweak the code and they still don't work.....then they just start working again.

The other night I'd had enough and knowing I was probably in for a whole world of trouble....did the dreaded update. Now I'm stuck in an update loop. I can recover the HC2 and get back to 3.xxx but when I try and update back to 4.080 it just won't have it and gets stuck again.

On top of that, reading the Fibaro forum, they seem to have change some of the actual coding meaning many scripts won't run any more which is a complete joke. I know this is a beta firmware but seriously? That's just sloppy.

When the HC2 is running smooth it's fantastic but I think Fibaro need to nail the basics far better instead of the more fancy stuff.

I'm getting a Vera Plus delivered today just to have a little dabble. At £140 it's not a huge risk and I can see how it goes. Yes, I will probably have some issues but it's worth a try and who knows, maybe I'll get something more stable than the HC2. None of my stuff is particularly complex, I just want a simple and stable system.

6. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Not very fair to complain if trying out a beta release , these are not really for people who are running their homes from the system .

7. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    The original problems were not the beta. I only ended up with the beta out of frustration.

8. RajP

RajP
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,071
    I have to say.. so far, I have encountered a couple of versions which have been like this.. back in the early days of 4 and then 4.072. However, since then upgrading to 4.080, it has been rock solid. Just works. Not having had to restart it apart from when I restarted entire IT stack at home 30 days ago.. then it had been up for 67 days.. now it has been running for 30 days..

What are the issues you are having??

9. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    Well, that's the Vera Plus going back. Apart from what I gather is a firmware update changing the MAC address meaning I can't add it to my account, I just don't like the UI at all. Can't quite put my finger on why, but the HC2 interface is much nicer and easier to use. It was a rash decision in a moment of minor frustration.

I've got the HC2 back to 4.080 now after being stuck in a few update loops. I think I'm far better off working on solving any minor niggles I get.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Doubt it was changing the MAC address as they should be absolutely fixed and unique to the network interface card and never should be changed or the world will start to fall apart.

However I agree about the interface hence why we chose Fibaro even with its slight annoyances

11. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    I did some reading on their forums and it seems MAC addresses were changing, or at least being reported/read wrongly somewhere and only their support could fix it remotely.

12. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Wow that's a big one if that's the case

13. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,043

14. muppetman74

muppetman74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    I'd agree with RajP....I ran ver 3.something for ages but was never happy so put the HC back in a cupboard. Dug it out at the start of the year, factory reset it and updated to 4.080 and re-added all devices. It's been up for 70+ days now with no issues and all scenes running correctly. Ver 4 was great for me with the addons - I can now monitor my DLINK ip cameras through the Fibaro interface.