Moving advice

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by stealther, May 2, 2007.

1. stealther

stealther

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Hi I am moving house on the 1st June and following on from some advice in the motor section it seems I can not hire a 7.5 tonne lorry to move myself. So I am potentially faced with the cost of movers. So I was wondering whether anyone could give me some ball park figures with regards to moving cost.

We are moving 170 miles from Nottingham to Surrey we have the typical contents of 2 bed terraced house probably slightly less as we don’t own any of the white goods etc so they wont be coming with us.

I have filled out some online quote requests and I am waiting for them to get back to me. What sort of figures am I looking at? I have no idea what movers charge.
    I am hoping for no more than £500 but I could be way of base.

Thanks

2. Mr_Wistles

Mr_Wistles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    I moved from a two bed flat, 3 miles down the road and I got charged £185.

I reckon you will be looking at around £650.

3. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    Stealther, you get exactly what you pay for in the moving industry. I went with a company through personal recommendation. I was greatly relieved when three guys, all over 50, turned up. They new their job inside out and went the extra mile, taking items to the shed, garage and even up to the loft. Nothing was damaged and all boxes were placed in the appropriate rooms.

So I'd recommend Doree Bonner. They have an online quote system. They are not the cheapest but they are reliable and efficient. Oh and despite their Kent location, they do all the UK.

4. johntheexpat

johntheexpat
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Funny how the thread title can be taken the wrong way. I was expecting a tale of heart rending sadness about some good advice given to staelther by some long departed but favourite auntie. Instead its about moving to Surrey.
    My advice on moving to Surrey is don't. 'Not unless you speak the lingo old boy- snarff snarff!'

5. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    I say old chap, you had better jolly well take that back before I break your bottom.

6. stealther

stealther

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Well I certainly cant nor would want to speak the lingo here in nottingham so think I will survive.:)

7. OldAndSenile

OldAndSenile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    First piece of advice - don't, whatever you do, use Pickfords!! They are hugely overpriced and very shoddy.

The best removal guys will have a fixed hourly rate, and a rate for mileage, so if you've boxed everything up yourself and you think it will take 1 1/2 hours either end to load/unload the lorry, then you can work out the costs fairly simply.

When we moved last year, I think it worked out at £25 an hour per person (there were 2), plus a mileage fee that worked out at about £2.50 a mile, or something along those lines.

You're probably looking at £600-£750, assuming it only takes 1 van, and 2 guys.

8. russ123

russ123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    I'd second what Xusia says re getting what you pay for. I moved from a 3 bed terrace a couple of miles down the road. Paid about £500 a couple of years ago. I did have a lot of stuff and the guy underestimated it. Not a lot but it would not all go in the lorry. Luckily a friend with a van was helping me out so we had no problems. The difference in the removal team that turned up to my old house was night and day. They laid out sheets to protect the carpets whereas my firm had not given a monkeys, they had a look round first etc. Even I could tell my crew were not manoeuvring furniture properly. I also ended up with boxes in the wrong rooms in the new house, unsurprisingly a lot of bedroom labelled boxes in the lounge etc. It was all ok in the end but you dont need any stress on the day you move. Best of luck and welcome to Surrey:hiya:

9. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    I don't think they speak brum in surrey mate. Might have to take a phrase book don'tcha know old boy old boy.

10. mrs stealther

mrs stealther

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't worry. I'm from Surrey originally and will act as translator if needed!

11. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,351
    i got some well lets be polite and say they were not from the uk and defo did not have a passport or residency! to come in a LWB transit and move us for £40!

this was a year ago, aint been burgled since either (maybe they were deported before they could?)

12. Singh400

Singh400
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,370
    Paid some local movers around £100 quid to move 2.5 miles. They knew what they were doing and were very friendly.