1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving abroad and taking my TV's. Advice?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by offshore trash, Apr 5, 2005.

1. offshore trash

offshore trash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm moving from the UK to Portugal and want to take all my AV stuff with me. I have a Thomson 32wr25u widescreen TV and a 32" Philips (which I can't remember the model no. for) and would like to know if they will work with PAL B. If not can you get PAL B to PAL I converters and are they worth it in terms of picture degradation etc?

2. TV Headache

TV Headache
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't answer your question but I can suggest that if you bought a VCR or DVD-recorder in Portugal you could use that as your tuner.

3. germalene

germalene
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi
    My friend moved to Portugal Feb 07 and by just plugging them in her tvs get picture but no sound. Newer tv's give you the option to change the PAL settings but I imagine a CRT one will not (hers is CRT). However, she now has her tv's wired up to a Sky box and has a huge dish as you still get all the FTA channels if you cancel your sub and keep your card (if you have one), if you don't have sky you can get a 2nd hand box and card off Ebay...but if you're wanting to watch local tv I don't know the answer. Have no idea whether you can use the VCR as a tuner, don't think my friend has one anymore to test.

HTH
    G

4. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'm not familair with this telly, but if on one of the set up options you can select 'portugese' as the defualt menu language option then most likely it would set the pal side of the telly to Pal B (if that's what they use in Portugal).

Why not email Thomson and Philips ask them?

5. germalene

germalene
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Check it out as I thought Portugal used Pal G...not B

Good idea to phone the company they might have someone with the knowledge if you are lucky!

G

6. onkeh

onkeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +369
    Generally (there are exceptions) a TV sold in Europe should work anywhere else in Europe, so chances are you'll be fine. I dread to think of the shipping costs though !

7. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +492
    This is probably not good advice. When you change the Language on most TVs it just changes the Menu language to whatever you want. It makes generally makes no changes to the tuning operation of the TV. It is true to say that you may have the 'no sound' problem with a number of older sets. I do agree that an Email to the manufacturers might clear this up.

8. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've checked on my Toshiba and 'yes' the menu language and PAL sysytem settings are seperate - so duff advice on my part. I thought changing the menu language to the local 'dialect' would change the received PAL spec (makes sense). So, an email to Thomson must be favourite. Apologies.