moving a plasma

crobo

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I'm concerned about a comment made by Bobbypunk in one of the other threads: that plasmas need to be transported upright. I have to move mine 200 miles and it will only fit in a hatchback on its side (still have the original packing though). Is transporting them on their side a real no-no or just the preferred option? I would rather not hire a van but this would be better than damaging it of course.
Cheers
Colin

they can be laid on there side but not for transporting:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

dont risk it . hire a van

The risk is that the weight of the glass might cause it to crack. Much better upright, you need hardly give them a 2nd thought. You will be s****g yourself all the way if you lay it down. You could easily get away with it, but I wouldn't put money on that, or at least not £3000!

Thanks for the input - I appreciate it and didn't know these things were quite that fragile. A van is has to be.

The other risk that that some of the gases leak out. You'll then get dark area on the screen. Plasmas are gassed up! But it's kept at 2/3 atmosphere which holds the glass in place. So while you might not break the glass, it may come away letting air in to certain areas. End result is the same - a knackered screen.

Best to keep it vertical. Hire a mini-van.

All the best,

Dr John Sim

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom