1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Movietyme

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by michaelm, Feb 9, 2004.

1. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've just been to Movietyme's site and all I can say is - [illegal comments removed by admin]. They advertise all their prices in $US which, given the current £ to $ exchange rate (about $1.80 to the £), should result in a lot of bargains for their customers. But then I saw the prices - Bad Santa $29.10, Spy Kids 3D $29.10, Paycheck $30.92. This is scandalous.

I would suggest that you all give this site a by-ball until it reduces it's prices to an acceptable level.

[Note from admin - I have edited your illegal thread title and amended some of it's content. Check the forum rules to read that you can't make defamatory comments (about anyone).
    Also you can view prices in £GB with the press of one button.]

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Well "Revolutions" is £17.99 at Movietyme, £16.99 at R1DVD and £16.60 at DC-DVD so that one is only a tad more expensive.

OTOH ...

"Underworld" is £13.99 from there, whereas R1DVD want £16.99 and DC-DVD a whopping £20.75.

So, as usual, some DVDs are good value from Movietyme, some are not .. isn't competition great. :D

BTW, you can display Movietyme's prices in GBP if you want you know, just click the button on the right hand side of the page, then you don't have to mentally do currency conversions.

3. Roughneck1

Roughneck1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. Darth_Fisto

Darth_Fisto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Yes, some of Movietyme's stuff is a little on the dear side, but they also have a lot of cheap stuff as well. Looney Tunes: Back in Action is only £13.99 to pre-order, but £15.99 at PlayUSA.

I like Movietyme, good service and customer communications via their forum :smashin:

Although I generally buy the R2 PAL versions of movies, unless the R1/R3/R4 version is uncut, has a lot more extras or is released earlier :D

5. Semiskimmed1976

Semiskimmed1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    How long does it take for them to deliver...cause I put in an order nearly 2 weeks ago (from memory so more like a week and a bit!) ;) but seems to take an age compared to others like amazon....but the question of price, seems like they do pretty good deals to me?

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I only just bought my first DVD from them, "Underworld", IIRC took 6 days.

7. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,176
    Well they dont ship straight to you like amazon, they ship to somewhere in the UK, then it gets posted to you, this method may take longer but you will never get any custom charges.

8. Roughneck1

Roughneck1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Depends on what you have ordered, PM me your order number and i shall be more than happy to check it's progress for you.

Sorted.

9. Semiskimmed1976

Semiskimmed1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    just an update as I think you should give credit where its due!! Craig contacted me by PM, which I responded to and gave me a quick update on my order...

Now I think thats service, and based on this experience i'd tell everyone to order from them :)

10. Roughneck1

Roughneck1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Point to note you can only buy in US $ off us if you actually live in USA.

11. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Whilst I don't agree with your comments about Movietyme for one moment, I do find it interesting that threads which are slagging-off Techtronics and SplashDVD aren't being edited.

12. Roughneck1

Roughneck1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Our default price for many different reasons is UK £ and as such US $ will be a reflection of such.

13. Ewan

Ewan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!
    Sorry! I don't agree with your comments about Movietyme. I ordered India Jones Box set from them, I found them cheaper than a few other on line shops. Also I did not pay any customs either.

14. Roughneck1

Roughneck1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just had a quick search around other companies that have UK £ processing and listed prices and i am at a slight loss for words... :confused:

15. Ewan

Ewan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!
    I like Movietyme,they have a good service and good customer support as well. I will be ordering from them again

16. Geoffc10

Geoffc10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    like someone said earlier in the thread, you have to shop around, ive noticed play are more expensive and ive gone to movietyme, also you are paying for no french covers from movietyme(if they bother you that is!).also they stock some dvds you cant find on other sites (1940 version of zorro!).if you just want to pay a cheap price look at all the dvd sites mentioned on this forum(maybe we should have a list of them?) and go for the cheapest, but remember some sites charge customs tax. you will find you end up using different suppliers for different titles.

17. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Don't know why I bother! :rolleyes: :D

18. Roughneck1

Roughneck1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well looking around at other sites that use UK merchant services (and thus have UK taxes applied to said parts of those services) and display UK £ i really don't know what to say...

:confused:

19. Fordy

Fordy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Well say something, please Craig.

I had a bad experience ordering from Movietyme a while back, I dont quite remember what it was I ordered. But I know I never received it. I got a refund eventually but I think it took over a month to get sorted.

It would take some convincing to use Movietyme again.

But I'm not saying i never will:)

20. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm a little disappointed with michaelm's comments :rolleyes:

I don't know what's been deleted here so if I get any details wrong then I'm sure someone will correct me...

Firstly, it seems michaelm hasn't ordered anything from Movietyme, so I fail to see why he has a grievance and takes the time to tell people to "give this site a by-ball"

Secondly, I think avforums has every right to protect their sponsors from unwarrented attacks from members as the sponcers are partly responsible for keeping this excellent site going, a site I might add that michaelm seems to enjoy using, so maybe it should be him that dosn't "bite the hand that feeds".

Thirdly, if he'd bothered to have a decent look round the site he would have realised that they are actually quite reasonable in regards to prices, sure, some titles may be dearer than other sites but plenty are not, so when you combine that with the fact that their customer service betters most if not all other retailers out there (in my, and many other's opinion) they look even more attractive to purchace from.

Regards,
    Iain.

21. PrinceOfEgypt

PrinceOfEgypt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well, i too have had issues with Movietyme...
    I ordered a disc way back at the end of december...still have not recieved it. Emailed them and they said i have to fax them saying it has been lost so they can claim back from the royal mail...
    thats all well and good, but im still waiting for my dvd!!!

22. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Perhaps the difference is that those threads don't simply use abusive language and moan about prices ;)

My thoughts exactly, well not exactly, but pretty close ;) To me constructive critisism would be fine, but to simply have a pop using such colourful language is frankly a little silly.

My own personal dealings with Craig and MovieTyme have always gone smoothly and I regard their whole setup as very professional - one way or another the service we as buyers receive costs us no matter where we purchase from - to me MovieTyme have got the balance just about right.

The fact that this thread remains here is, I believe, testament to the integrity of this site.

23. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Don't worry Lex, *I* like your list. :D

Good point .. they're relating bad experiences with facts rather than just a rant.

It wasn't exactly complimentary about their pricing policy, let's put it that way ;) .. I personally find the forum rules on this somewhat 'nannyish' in terms of protecting their sponsors and don't see a problem with the comment, although I disagree with it, however the rules are the rules as the comment did break them.

24. Roughneck1

Roughneck1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You have a PM dude.. can only assume it must be a hard to source title.

25. miniman

miniman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Right then a nice little debate:D First off all sites balls up every now and then, it just happens and people can slip through the net or be let down by customer service. It just a case of how often it happens that should count.

Second I have never ordered off movietyme as I do find them a tad expensive, but yet again I don't have to order off them(it's my choice) and anyway you only have to look at the list of recommended supliers at the top of this thread(thanks lex). Or you could use:
    http://www.dvdpricecheck.co.uk/
    or even
    http://www.happyhunter.com/
    but you must also take into account how much your credit card company will charge you for using a foreign currencey or what exchange rate they give you.

I don't mind having a sensible discussion, thats what the forums here for, but do we have to have a slanging match.

People are entitled to their views but lets not get abusive, as people on this forum have helped me out lots of times with all kinds of matters and thats the way it should be!

Thanks for listening. Mark

P.s I have no financial ties to this site, I just find it usefull.

26. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you dont like what on offer, dont buy it! It is no reason to have a go at the retailer

ad

27. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    I have used movietyme quite a lot and can say they are reliable abd some of the films maybe £2 more than play or future entertainment but they get the films up to 3 weeks before the others do.
    It normally takes about 5 days for a film to arrive. I have just looked on the movietyme site and it seems they have dropped their prices as a lot of the films are now £13.99. Disc Emporium deliver next day but they charge more.
    I use Disc Emporium and Movietyme because they get their films before everyone else and are reliable, only problem I had was with finding Nemo but that was because of the postal strike and one of the post offices caught fire in Northampton.

28. Roughneck1

Roughneck1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also don't forget we supply USA product not Canadian and dispatch most titles (apart from UK Next Day etc) from our USA offices.

29. spidermanalf

spidermanalf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Craig, could you please answer my PMs on the Bottom Boxset situ (sorry to bring this into a forum, but it just reminded me!)

30. Roughneck1

Roughneck1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dude i have tried and tried but everytime i send you a PM your inbox is always full...