1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Movietyme sent 2 x DVD9... Dented Slipcase... Anyone else?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by Mattie, Aug 30, 2000.

1. Mattie

Mattie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've praised Movietyme here before, but when I returned from holiday to a T2UE with a dented slipcase, containing the canadian 2 x DVD9 edition, I have to change my opinion.

I preordered in the first few days of August, when their published price was £17.99. The with compliments slip says £24.99. This although I checked mid august what I would be charged. Will check with bank when open, and Movietyme at 12 when they open.

So, has anyone else had problems with this order from Movietyme?

Also, can a DVD Changer like the Sony DVPX whatever flip discs automatically? If not, I might be tempted to keep the two DVD9's? And am I right in thinking a DVD18 might not last as long [I mean durability of the disc itself, not running time]? Of course, this is just me trying to put a spin on a rotten disappointment.

--------

I'll [not] be back.... [to Movietyme]

[This message has been edited by Mattie (edited 30-08-2000).]

2. Conrad

Conrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I preordered my copy in July I think( So long ago can't remember) haven't received it yet! Checked my Marbles card account last night and they haven't even debited my card yet which is obviously not a good sign. Incidentally Braveheart arrived friday which of course was also due to be released on the 29th.

I will call them today but I have to say I am very disappointed as I called the preorder in, reconfirmed it when I rang for something else and also e-mailed them in July as well regarding the price and they still forgot me!!!!

I will post my results of todays conversation.

Oh, buy the way I rang them yesterday and left a message and e-mailed them..No reply so far.

[This message has been edited by Conrad (edited 30-08-2000).]

3. Conrad

Conrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My T2 was shipped yesterday apparently. No idea if it is dvd18 or dvd9. Got this info from a friend who contacted them for me(Neil@Dvd-Debate)

I guess in their defense they are probably over burdened by the demand for releases that are being churned out during the holiday period, usually a time of staff shortages. Still a pain though as I was really pumped up over watching this disc.

4. Matt @ DVD Debate

Matt @ DVD Debate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I can confirm Movietyme are shipping the 2 DVD9 version at the moment, having just emailed them about my order. (I wanted to opt for the DVD9 version)

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be fair to Movietyme Mattie, I don't think they shipped a dented T2 case.

The case was no doubt dented in the post.

If it bothers you that much then I'm sure they'd replace it (just like any other quality trader).

[​IMG]

------------------
    Gary

A Phased Plasma Rifle In A 40 Watt Range®

My DVDs

[This message may have been edited by Jack Straw, MP]

6. Conrad

Conrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got the dvd9 T2 set yesterday. Excellent. My metal case was slightly dented but no worries as I fixed that myself. looking forward to a T2 weekend.

Now I wonder when MIB will show up.

7. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I was asked by MT on Tuesday if I wanted to opt for the Limited Edition MIB as they were shipping it then. I declined though, as I'd rather wait for the DTS version which I theink they may be shipping today.

------------------
    "Sh*t! I don't belive it! You... You burnt da f*ckin money!"
    Not at all against Robbie Williams (Glasgow) Ltd or companies with a similar name

8. Mattie

Mattie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Next day thoughts....

About the dents, yeah Gary, that's obviously just postal problems, I can live with that, and I'm sure MT would replace if I insisted. But its just a piece of metal, and there are still starving people in the world.

About the DVD9's, I've decided I'm happy with that. I'd still like to know if the Sony Changer can flip discs tho', or if DVD-18's are less durable.

My only remaining quibble is the price, and I'm waiting to hear from MT about that, since I ordered when the price was £17.99 and I appear to have been charged £24.99, and I care about that. A little.

So I'll be back, to MT, probably.

-----
    Appropriate film quote:
    "When I'm wrong, I say I'm wrong"
    (I'm a sucker for Jennifer Grey, in case you need a clue)

9. Blade

Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DVD9s may have a longer lifespan than DVD18s since DVD18s are produced using a relatively new bonding method. Laser rot and sparklies spring to mind.

10. Dodgey

Dodgey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mattie,
    I looked into buying a changer, and bought one. There are only two real options, the Sony CX850D and the American Pioneer DVD 727. Neither flip discs for you, so the DVD 9 is the best option.

Incidentally, I bought the Pioneer 727 (From DVDMagic – UK firm), because.

1. Sony = 200 disks, Pioneer 300 + 1 slot for manual disks (i.e. rentals, flippers etc)
    2. Pioneer, auto region changing.
    3. Pioneer, good OSD software, can use a PC keyboard for titles (essential)
    4. Same cost for both (£600 all in)

p.s. Pioneer performance is superb. Excellent sound, picture, and No lip-sync problems.