1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Movietyme Order Cancellations - BEWARE!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by cosmokramer, Aug 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cosmokramer

cosmokramer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently ordered The Simpsons Season 6 and Lost (pre-order) from Movietyme.com - however after waiting a few days The Simpsons had still not been shipped so I decided to cancel this part of the order. A day or so later the cancellation was confirmed by email and I was sent a redemption code to claim back store credit..

I had been expecting a simple refund to credit card, and emailed movietyme to request this. However, I just received a reply stating that they only refund to a credit card when the product isn't in stock... and that I'll have to be happy with the store credit.

I'm not particularly impressed with this, and I doubt anyone else would be either. Especially because it is apparent that the Simpsons DVD was not in stock anyway (either that or they are EXTREMELY slow at shipping). :mad:

So be wary of using movietyme and don't expect to have an easy time of it if you need to cancel/adjust orders. :thumbsdow

2. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    AFAIK Movietyme give you the option of either immediately charging your credit card or charging when the item has shipped - the default is charging when shipped (you have to select immediate billing option).

It also states before you confirm your order

"PLEASE NOTE all orders for items currently released, will be billed straight away. If you then chose to cancel said title(s) no refund shall be issued to your credit card, a CREDIT will be used against future purchases. For the customers that live outside the USA & UK, you agree to fax a copy of the front and back of your credit card and also a copy of the credit card statement with the credit card holders name and address displayed. "

While I understand your point, you did agree to the T&C's before you placed the order as you have to tick a confirmation box to this agreement at the last stage of the checkout.

3. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    How legal is 'Store Credit', I thought that under no circumstance are you obliged to accept this as a form of refund. That is not to say Movietyme cann't refuse to refund an instock ordered item that is cancelled (unless faulty) but if they do then a customer can refuse to accept 'Store Credit'.

4. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Not knowing the legality of it (not a lawyer) and neither having any affiliation either (before anyone accuses me) - If they clearly (which they do) state the Terms & Conditions on the site when you order, plus you have to make a positive action to agree to these T&C's - I would have to say it is legally binding - if you don't agree to the conditions, then you simply don't tick the box and don't place the order.

Unless it's changed recently, HMV would never refund on CD's due to people buying them, recording them and taking them back - they would offer credit or exchange only, Game will not refund on PC games either - store credit. So I don't think you'll find that, as long as this knowledge is either explained or is prominently on display, there's any issues of legality.

5. cosmokramer

cosmokramer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

Thanks for the replies, I do realise that I accepted the T's&C's when placing the order (although I didn't read them - does anyone? ;) ).

The reason I'm a bit miffed is because I assumed that under the Distance Selling regulations I believed I was entitled to the 7-day "cooling off" period: http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/ecomm.htm

Ofcourse, movietyme aren't a UK company so I don't know if the law extends to them..

Anyway, just posted as a bit of a warning to others - I guess I'll have to wait till there's something I can use up the store credit with, but that will certainly be my last dealing with them.

Gordon

6. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I do know that you cann't sign away your rights even if you tick acceptance of a T&C and I think not having to take store credit is one of your rights. Movietyme can refuse to refund for a functioning product outright as they should be able to, no problem with that but its the having to take SC that i'm questioning.

There ARE restrictions to the DSA and one restriction is on software, CDs and DVDs to combat copying so you cann't send it back unless faulty.

7. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    i've used them loads of times and not had trouble. Craig has been a top bloke and has offered some of the best customer service i've ever recieved.

Gary

8. cosmokramer

cosmokramer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I replied to their email and hinted at a chargeback - and if I am entitled to refuse the store credit then I may well follow that path. It's not a return as the item was never actually shipped (I assume because they did not have the item in stock).

That's pretty much the reason that I ordered from them - based on the glowing reports I had read from these forums. It seems however that nobody has had to cancel an order with them before :) They're not a company that I'll ever be doing business with again, based on this experience.

9. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    cosmo, i've stopped being impatient about delivery times as i've got so much stuff to watch. they haqve one let me down once and craig made sure i was very happy before he let the matter rest.

i can only speak as i find (as can you) this weekend i'll be sitting down to watch the R1 of Lost - cant get better than that. :smashin:

if you stop using them because you didn't read the T & C's then you are cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Gary

10. Conn

Conn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    afaik, there is no legal requirement to refund cash for "change of mind". Did you dispute the delivery time with Movietyme or just cancel the order after the few days? It was not clear from your opening post. Perhaps if you explained to them...?

I have used them a number of times with no problems.

11. neilo

neilo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    you have lost already ??? :confused:

12. Conn

Conn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Got the Now Shipping mail from them for Lost on the 19th... :)

13. cosmokramer

cosmokramer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lol, I'm stopping using them because they wont refund the £24.99 for The Simpsons Season 6 DVD to my credit card and instead insist in offering store credit. The legality of which has been placed in doubt by another member. :lease:

No nose, no face, no spite :) Lost is cracking btw.

14. cosmokramer

cosmokramer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In the UK, there is a legal requirement under the Distance Selling regulations (link in a previous post). I did state in my reply email to them that I cancelled the Simpsons order because it had not been shipped after a few days of waiting (therefore I assume it was not in stock).

Yep, I have explained it to them and I'm waiting on a reply. It's not like I'm asking for the earth so perhaps they'll be forthcoming. Fingers crossed.

15. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Having had a quick snoop around - I found this on the Watchdog website

My refund has been denied and instead I've been given an undated credit note.

I purchased a plastic curtain-rail for approximately £14.50, before getting home I realised it was not the one I wanted. I returned to the shop less than a minute later. The refund was denied and I was told the rail was adequate.

I explained it had been my mistake and it was the same as the one I had, and was not suitable. I was issued with a credit note. I notice my credit note is undated.
    S.C, London

> Browse more related questions

From a legal point of view, the shop was acting within its rights in refusing you a refund, given that there is nothing wrong with the curtain-rail.

In taking the rail back and giving you a credit note, the shop has gone beyond what it had to do.

You have been fortunate that the shop was prepared to do this. (If you are worried about the credit note being undated, you could ask the shop whether this is likely to cause you a problem when you come to use it.)

While not the exact same thing - and the cooling off period mentioned seems to indicate 7 days from receipt of the item - it could probably be legally argued this way. The obvious solution is to re-order the Simpsons and just sit tight. Normally with Movietyme, the email to say it's shipped occurs the day before you receive the item - which is probably from when the UK branch forwards it on to you having received it from the USA. I could be wrong however.

I do know Craig frequents the forums and will most likely post or PM you regarding this.

16. Roughneck1

Roughneck1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gordon - Craig here from MT. Just taken a look at your order situation and this is what i have found.

You joined our site late August 17th and placed your first order for 2 titles with us on that same day, 1 title is cancelled and the other you still have on order with us. Should i cancel this one, as its a pre order that is about to ship so may not have been billed just yet? Please let me know about this.

Your order for Simpsons was in stock, but due to staff holidays (V festival) we had a skeleton staff on. Your order was on the move and would have been with you today (as it had to ship from our US offices).

You then chose to cancel Simpsons giving us less than 2 days to move it to a shipped status.

Also when you created your account you did post a very interesting comment with regards to how you found out about our website as i remember...

Please let me know about the one outstanding order that you have as this is due to be with you around Friday of this week... reading your above comments i presume you do not wish to have this sent and your account deleted?

17. Roughneck1

Roughneck1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gordon - you do know that you can use your credit against your LOST: Season One which is about to be billed... this way not only have MovieTyme.com replied to every email you have sent very quickly but also replied to posts on a public forum within a few hrs.. but your credit and issue could be resolved very quickly indeed.... and a title delivered almost 3 weeks before street date too boot....

18. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Have to speak up for movietyme. Great service and great comunication, best online retailer I have ever dealt with :smashin: :smashin: :smashin: :smashin:

19. cosmokramer

cosmokramer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Craig, thanks for your response - I joined on the 17th August - although I have previously shopped with MovieTyme once before (Ichi The Killer) possibly without creating an account.. ?

Thankyou for explaining why Movietyme were unable to ship The Simpsons DVD in timely fashion - I ordered it from PlayUSA.com instead and received it yesterday so they have you beat in that regard ;)

When I created my account, the compulsory response to the question regarding where I had heard of movietyme.com was essentially that I didn't want to be forced to reveal where I heard of them - I don't really see how that is relevant here??

Regarding my outstanding order - if you are willing to refund my credit card with the full amount owed then I am happy to cancel the entire order. Otherwise, your suggestion to offset the store credit against the cost of the Lost DVD is sensible.

Regardless, I agree that you probably should delete my account with MovieTyme as I don't forsee any future transactions occurring.

Gordon.

20. Roughneck1

Roughneck1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gordon,

Another repsone from movietyme.com in less than 2 mins :)

Will keep your order for LOST then and deduct Simpsons from that. The credit voucher will of course be cancelled so just bin that mail.

LOST should be with you around the weekend... well before that other retailer could.

Can i ask when did you order Simpsons with them - as that shipping time seems errm very quick from US.. unless Kirk and Spock are involved....

21. Roughneck1

Roughneck1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to confirm Gordon LOST: Season One has now been billed to youur card for a grand total of £5.00 delivered....

22. cosmokramer

cosmokramer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Craig, thank you for another fast repsonse - forum responses are certainly much faster than MovieTyme email responses, although I would have much preferred dealing with the issue in a private manner rather than a public forum..

I don't really see how it's relevant but PlayUSA took my order on 19th August and shipped the same day.. I've attached a picture as you don't seem to believe me.

Anyway, thankyou for helping me to resolve this issue in an amicable fashion and I would appreciate it if you could also delete my account with MovieTyme as previously mentioned.

Finally, I wonder if MovieTyme will reconsider their policy regarding cancellations to fall in line with (the law?) most other popular DVD retailers. (Play.com, cd-wow.com, etc..)?

Kind Regards,

Gordon

simpsons picture

23. chrislad

chrislad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    On a related note, what is your average delivery time? I ordered a DVD (Lois and Clark S1) last Sunday. It's still at order taken status. Not complaining, mind you. Just wondering.

Edit: Since I noticed your LOST is shipping now, I just ordered! :)

24. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Chrislad (and any others)

While this thread was created by Cosmokramer to air an issue - it would be in both yours and Movietyme's best interest if you could either email or PM Craig directly, as this is not really the place for everyone to ask their order status. If this were a "Movietyme" forum that would be one thing - but it isn't - so please, any queries email Craig directly and I'm sure he'll respond in an efficient and timely manner.

25. sjp1966

sjp1966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Craig. I may well open up an account with movietyme (although i think i may have ordered before). i understand that things can and do go wrong from time to time. i am not that niave that everything will run smoothly all the time. it is how these things are dealt with when these things come up is what is important, customer service is such an important thing that is so easily overlooked.

It is ok getting dirt cheap DVDs but when it all goes horribly wrong and you cannot get a response from a company no matter what (DVD Soon anyone) then that is frustrating.

I am quite impressed about how you dealt with this issue here, i will check your prices to see how competitive you are, and if so i will create an account

26. Roughneck1

Roughneck1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you - all we do is try our best at all times - we are a small company and everyone here just loves movies.... thanks to Seth - if you have any questions please feel free to email or PM me.

27. cosmokramer

cosmokramer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    +£24.99 store credit :rolleyes:

28. cosmokramer

cosmokramer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Craig, from above:

"Finally, I wonder if MovieTyme will reconsider their policy regarding cancellations to fall in line with (the law?) most other popular DVD retailers. (Play.com, cd-wow.com, etc..)?"

Any consideration of policy change, and also could you clear up the legalities of issuing store credit in lieu of refunding credit cards - an issue raised by another forum member earlier..

Thanks,

Gordon

29. Roughneck1

Roughneck1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: that was to advise you of how much had been billed to your credit card, just to advise that everything had been carried out correctly....

30. cosmokramer

cosmokramer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, thanks - £24.99 + £5 is the "grand total" of what has been billed to my credit card. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.