Movietyme blaming the post office

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by dUnKle, Mar 23, 2001.

1. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,576
    Ok ROYAL MAIL are no angels and the occasional problem does raise its ugly head ( and I say this with my full knowlege that my DAD is a ****ing great postman ) but I feel the statement released by movietyme laying full blame for slow deliveries is a bag of ****.

If this is the case then why have I carried on recieving numerous titles from PLAY and have had no delay on any other mail ( and nor to my knowledge have my movie ordering friends )

Im sorry if this sounds bad and do apologise for the tone of this mail but after working bloody hard myself in retail for 8 years I get very annoyed when people try to pass the buck and do not take ownership of a problem.

Customers dont care about the middleman and if this is the case ( which I very much doubt it is, like I said all the other post is fine ). What WE as these peoples customers want and deserve is the quality service and the products that we were originally promised.

If you have not seen there statement this is it.......

UK Customers
    Yet again we find ourselves having to make an announcement regarding the UK Royal Mail delivery system. As reported in the UK national press (Daily Mail, ITN/BBC News), a lot of post appears to be going missing. We advise all UK customers to allow extra delivery time for their titles. As of today 3/21/01, we have contacted the Royal Mail press department for their comments on this intollerable situation and are awaiting an official response. We appologise for for any inconvenience to our loyal customers.

So if mail is getting lost then there will be no delay as the thing will never arrive and seeing as how movietyme do not use registered delivery how will they know ???? Also movietyme are notorious for NOT replying to customers mailings.

Again im sorry if I upset any dedicated Movieyme customers but this is just an EXSCUSE !!!!!

[This message has been edited by DuncanWardle (edited 23-03-2001).]

2. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +733
    I placed my first order with them on Sunday.. I got it on Thursday.. Can't fault them for that..

However, it came in 'normal' 2nd class post..

If their are indeed problems with the post, how eithical/professional is it for them to continue to use 'normal' post under the current climate..

I mean, if they truly belive that the Post Office are to blame, then surely they should use 'recorded delivery' for a while, until the situation is resolved.

I know of a friend of a friend who is a post-man and I have been told that he has a MASSIVE collection of DVDs in his personal library. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if there was a problem with the post office or SOME (I stress SOME) of their employees..

But this could all be resolved by using a better form of delivery...

3. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,576
    of course the are bad postman taking five pound notes from little timmys birthday card and occasionally one of your DVDs but this is true for EVERY proffesion out there.

I agree that if MOVIETYME do believe there is a problem then instead of moaning they should do something.

------------------
    You don't have to have a huge screen or the biggest speakers to have a true home cinema. Many people have lost the point in the middle of this boom of technology. At the end of the day it all boils down to the FILMS!!!

"You're one ugly motherf**ker."

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In my opinion Movietyme are a bunch of money grabbing, unprofessional, stone cold, back-stabbing, deadline missing, no communicating, unhelpfull, company.

Steady. Borderline rule breaking. Be nice even if you don't feel nice.

[This message has been edited by Spectre (edited 26-03-2001).]

5. ptmbradley

ptmbradley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    So you're not a fan then? [​IMG]

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Message removed by Spectre and an warning re attitude and language emailed.

[This message has been edited by Spectre (edited 26-03-2001).]

7. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,576
    From an e-mail I recieved from MOVIETYME

....... the message regarding the state of the UK Royal Mail is to alert our customers to possible delays with goods being delivered as us and another e-tailer based just off the UK have experinced problems with some customers deliveries. In fact the crisis at the mail office is so bad that the UK Ombudsman has become involved.
    It is our job to inform our customers every step of the way with possible problems in which everway they may be, that is part of our customer service.

OK fair enough, so why is the announcement made in what I see as very bad terms and why does it not say that the situation is only with these two companies ?

I feel calling them lying bastards may be a tad strong and only serves to go against by complaint,

oh and ACE007, you cheeky little scamp [​IMG], I am patient, I just dislike being lied to and not having people take ownership of problems

------------------
    You don't have to have a huge screen or the biggest speakers to have a true home cinema. Many people have lost the point in the middle of this boom of technology. At the end of the day it all boils down to the FILMS!!!

8. Ace007

Ace007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was just Jesting with yer Duncan [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

But there's nothing worse than being lied to, Retailers should realise this and be honest with thier customers. It always makes sense!

Ace

9. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,576
    Well I did a little digging and the ONLY report I could find that gave any info was this one........

The Post Office has been accused of failing to deliver nearly 2 million first class letters a day on time by a consumer watchdog set up to monitor its services.

Around 1.9 million first class letters posted every day do not arrive the next day, according to Pos****ch, the new body set up to speak up for consumers.

Poor service has been compounded by record numbers of post office closures and industrial relations at an all-time low, the watchdog said.

"The Post Office has a lot to prove at the moment if it is still to remain a service that is admired and cherished by the general public," a Pos****ch statement said.

Its findings come as the Post Office prepares to open its services to private competition for the first time under a new licence starting on Monday.

The Post Office said continuing disruption on the railways coupled with a series of unofficial strikes have hit the reliability of first class mail deliveries.

One in three mail trains are running at least half-an-hour late every night - described as a "catastrophic" delay - because of the rail repair programme sparked by the fatal Hatfield crash five months ago.

Around 30,000 days have been lost since September because of strikes, more than for the whole of the 1999/2000 financial year.

First class mail reliability for the year to the end of this month is set to fall to around 89 per cent, 3 per cent below the target figure and the lowest since 1996/1997 when there were a series of national strikes.

Second class mail deliveries are expected to reach their target of 98.5 per cent.

The Post Office has agreed new targets with the industry's consumer council to deliver 92.1 per cent of first class mail on time next year and 92.5 per cent in 2002/3.

www.itn.co.uk/news/20010320/business/06postoffice.shtml

Can you see any mention of items going missing in there ? oh and I have no idea why the **** apear !

Oh and one more thing, I have tried to keep this a fact based moan, I have not lied or exagerated at any point, and the reason I say this is that I know that Movietyme advertise on this forum, fine with me, but people need to be told, so no pulling the plug on this one, its the truth !!!

------------------

10. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    ....anyway, it's a well known fact that posties are bonkers. Why else would they put other peoples mail through my letterbox?? [​IMG]

------------------
    Douch!!......Wot's da madder, da CIA got you pushing too many penzils?

Work: www.hughes-tv.co.uk

11. ptmbradley

ptmbradley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The **** appear because, well, what word to those letters make up? [​IMG]

12. Popester

Popester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess it depends where you live. In Finchley where I live my post is fine but in Camden where I work it so utterly disgraceful that my company has actually considered legal action for damages. It can take over a week for a first clas letter to cross London. If that isn't bad I don't know what is. Then again, that's what you get for allowing unions.

13. miketango75

miketango75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    In my opinion Movietyme are ok. I haven't ordered hundreds of titles from them. I have ordered enough to say that I'm pleased with their performance. One such experience...ordered 'Meet the Parents' on a wednesday - arrived on my door mat 10am the following Friday (crap film though).

HOWEVER....

The Royal Mail are an absolute joke. I am currently waiting for Terminator R2 from Play 247. They posted the title recorded delivery last Friday (16/03/2001) and I still haven't received it.

Today I received some v. important docs which were posted first class from Chelmsford on Monday morning. 4 DAYS !!!!! for a 1.5 hour trip...and you guys are moaning about Movietyme.

Personally I think you should focus your attentions on the crap postal system not the supplier.

Oh, by the way, I live in the middle of Cambridge.

Ian G.

P.S. I still think that Future Entertainment are the best R1 supplier though!

14. Ace007

Ace007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Duncan,

Why can't you just be patient, it's only a film [​IMG]

Ace

15. wicky1

wicky1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have order a total of three titles from movietyme.
    Suspiria-japanese, I had to phone and chase this up, then i recieved it.
    Dawn of the Dead-japanese, never turned up, no replies to e-mails.This was ordered back in October.
    Crouching Tiger- order quite early, never recieved.
    I know these can not be considered run-of-the-mill discs, but I still wasn't happy.