Movies Podcast: Zack Snyder's Justice League Deep Dive (21/03/21)

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
In a special one-off movies podcast the team discuss the brand new Zack Snyder cut of Justice League. We cover the director's cut, new plot points and performances, plus the controversial use of the 4:3 aspect ratio for a home release.

00:00:00 - Start
00:00:24 - Welcome
00:02:12 - Competitions
00:03:40 - Zack Snyder's Justice League review
00:16:36 - Zack Snyder's Justice League aspect ratio discussion
00:34:00 - Zack Snyder's Justice League deep dive
00:52:08 - Best director's cut movie versions

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers, Cas Harlow, Simon Crust and Tom Davies

These links will be live following the live stream on Sunday evening at 7pm.

Direct Link

To watch the video with the live chat, click the YouTube logo in the video window
Support us by making a donation at avforums / Streamlabs
Become a Patron at AVForums is creating Videos | Patreon
Your donations help us to improve the website, publish more editorial and make better podcasts. Thank you.

Last edited:

EngineerJohn

Standard Member
the 4:3 ratio is really the dumbest idea ever !!! who ever came up with that idea, should be fired...

Jessica Noir

Maybe it's just me watching a lot of older films, but the aspect ratio never bothered me apart from the excessive, but understandable, headroom in certain shots. Recent films like the brilliant Cold War, Ida and I'm thinking of Ending Things used that ratio is great effect.

Tom Davies

Editorial Contributor
Probably in the minority but i preferred the director's cut of Cinema Paradiso.
I have got so much time for the director's cut and it's another instance where Arrow put the extended edition on the blu ray but not the 4K which I found a little disappointing.

Personally, I wouldn't go as far as to say it's better, there are plenty of good arguments to be made against it, but I don't think it's as bad as some people would have it.

gadget man

I have got so much time for the director's cut and it's another instance where Arrow put the extended edition on the blu ray but not the 4K which I found a little disappointing.

Personally, I wouldn't go as far as to say it's better, there are plenty of good arguments to be made against it, but I don't think it's as bad as some people would have it.

I agree shame no 4k of directors cut.

Built To Chill

Thanks guys. I also really enjoyed the Synder cut a lot more than I was expecting.

Your discussion towards the end has motivated to me go and hunt down a couple of other director's cuts which I hadn't realised were worthwhile.

I've enjoyed having my eyes better opened to the value of Director's cuts as a result of discussions around this release. I'd previously tended to ignore them tbh.

ruffian2205

Enjoyed listening to this extra podcast. Thanks guys. Personally, loved the Synder cut and even though I figured out I could stretch it to 16x9 by using all-direction zoom, I started watching the 4;3 ratio and soon forgot about it (darkened room and OLED).

I was annoyed that the remastered BvS got pushed back to next month (it was supposed to be released today but was pushed back on Friday - about ten minutes after I ordered the disc). I had planned to watch that first but i was pleasantly surprised to find that my copy of iTunes (the shorter version only) had been updated automatically to the remastered version with the IMAX scenes now showing in the IMAX ratio.

This does look rather odd though with it switching from 2.35:1. Bizarrely enough, the scenes you expect to be IMAX ratio (like the chase from the port and the fight wide Doomsday) aren’t the IMAX scenes. iTunes has, rather nicely updated the extras with a 30m making of Snyder cut documentary too.

Garioch

Distinguished Member
I enjoyed that. Nice to receive such a varied response to the Snyder cut. Aspect ratio discussion was interesting; particularly Steve's knowledge on IMAX 70mm (it all made sense).

Regarding director's cuts that are better than the theatrical version; I would like to express some love for Dark City. IIRC the theatrical cut reveals quite a huge spoiler in the opening monologue, which has been omitted for the director's cut.

Regarding director's cuts (or extended editions) which are worse - I much prefer the shorter theatrical cut of The Good, The Bad and the Ugly. The extended cut of Gladiator is not as good as the theatrical cut. In fact, Ridley Scott opens with a statement that it is not his preferred vision (or words to that effect).

Last edited:

KuroMike

Yes I liked the Snyder cut of JL, had to watch it over two night though!

On the subject of Directors Cuts, this is probably a bit controversial, but I prefer the original version of Alien. I don't want to find out what happened to Dallas and Brett after their encounters with the Alien.

The extra few seconds with Ripley and Parker arriving after Brett's death take something away from it for me. Finishing on the cat's eyes with his screams echoing out was more impactful IMO.

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
Yes I liked the Snyder cut of JL, had to watch it over two night though!

On the subject of Directors Cuts, this is probably a bit controversial, but I prefer the original version of Alien. I don't want to find out what happened to Dallas and Brett after their encounters with the Alien.

The extra few seconds with Ripley and Parker arriving after Brett's death take something away from it for me. Finishing on the cat's eyes with his screams echoing out was more impactful IMO.

Not at all controversial mate, I think we all agreed on the poddie that the Alien extended cut was nowhere near as good as the theatrical. They're just a bunch of reinstated deleted scenes, IMO, which, whilst fun to watch, actually detract from the impact. Although from them you can maybe see where Cameron got some of his ideas for key scenes for the sequel!

ruffian2205

Cas, you mentioned you’d have liked the extended Doctor Sleep in 4K HDR. The iTunes purchase has BOTH cuts in 4K Dolby Vision/Dolby Atmos. The Director’s Cut is an iTunes extra when you buy the theatrical cut.

KuroMike

Hi Cas

On the theme of your profile pic - Leon....the International version of Leon did enhance the film. The original cut was a great film but the extended version made it even better. Certainly gave a it a slightly different vibe!

Steve Withers

Reviewer
I enjoyed that. Nice to receive such a varied response to the Snyder cut. Aspect ratio discussion was interesting; particularly Steve's knowledge on IMAX 70mm (it all made sense).

Regarding director's cuts that are better than the theatrical version; I would like to express some love for Dark City. IIRC the theatrical cut reveals quite a huge spoiler in the opening monologue, which has been omitted for the director's cut.

Regarding director's cuts (or extended editions) which are worse - I much prefer the shorter theatrical cut of The Good, The Bad and the Ugly. The extended cut of Gladiator is not as good as the theatrical cut. In fact, Ridley Scott opens with a statement that it is not his preferred vision (or words to that effect).
I did get one thing wrong about IMAX 1.43:1 presentations, because along with 70mm analogue cinemas there are a few screens that use 4K laser projectors.

Good call on Dark City, and while I agree about Gladiator, I do like the longer cut of TGTBATU. I just wish they had used impersonators for the new dialogue, because you can't tell the new Lee Van Cleef scenes (who was dead by the time they did the restoration), but Clint and Eli sound sooo old.

Steve Withers

Reviewer
Cas, you mentioned you’d have liked the extended Doctor Sleep in 4K HDR. The iTunes purchase has BOTH cuts in 4K Dolby Vision/Dolby Atmos. The Director’s Cut is an iTunes extra when you buy the theatrical cut.
Good news if you use iTunes, but I'd prefer to have the director's cut on 4K disc. I suspect Cas feels the same.

Steve Withers

Reviewer
Not at all controversial mate, I think we all agreed on the poddie that the Alien extended cut was nowhere near as good as the theatrical. They're just a bunch of reinstated deleted scenes, IMO, which, whilst fun to watch, actually detract from the impact. Although from them you can maybe see where Cameron got some of his ideas for key scenes for the sequel!
The theatrical cut of Alien is vastly superior, and the extended cut actually contradicts Aliens when it comes to the xenomorph's lifecycle.

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
The theatrical cut of Alien is vastly superior, and the extended cut actually contradicts Aliens when it comes to the xenomorph's lifecycle.

I meant more in terms of the visuals of the 'discovery/kill me' scenes. I wonder whether that's an idea Cameron picked up from the original Alien script.

Yes, I'd be interested to see if anybody disagreed on the TC being superior, but I guess the 'extended' version wasn't a 'director's' cut, just a curio IIRC.

KuroMike

Robocop - the Unrated version. I guess not strictly a directors cut but I think worth a mention (if not already done so).

The Japanese version of Kill Bill volume 1 (sadly I only have on DVD as I dont think there is a HD release?). Once you watch that, you do not go back to the original version! Extra frames, extended violence and that showdown with the Crazy 88 all in full colour....glorious 👍🏻

Garioch

Distinguished Member
Robocop - the Unrated version. I guess not strictly a directors cut but I think worth a mention (if not already done so).

The Japanese version of Kill Bill volume 1 (sadly I only have on DVD as I dont think there is a HD release?). Once you watch that, you do not go back to the original version! Extra frames, extended violence and that showdown with the Crazy 88 all in full colour....glorious 👍🏻
Good catch with Kill Bill. Only thing the Japanese version misses out on is the Ancient Klingon Proverb (replaced with a Kinji Fukasaku tribute) but I can live with that.

KuroMike

Good catch with Kill Bill. Only thing the Japanese version misses out on is the Ancient Klingon Proverb (replaced with a Kinji Fukasaku tribute) but I can live with that.
I never noticed that was missing! 👍🏻

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom