Movies Podcast: Nicolas Cage vs. Nic Cage vs. Nick Cage

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
The movies team are going full Cage in celebration of his massive talent, looking back at his best and worst, and his honest recent AMA, plus all the latest film, TV and 4K news including early looks at Arrow’s Wild Things and Candyman 4K discs, and strong arguments for why Peacemaker and Severance should be on your must-watch TV list for 2022.

Presented by Cas Harlow with Tom Davies, Simon Crust and Mark Costello

Email questions and feedback to [email protected]

This podcast is sponsored by MPB, the simplest and safest way to sell photo and video kit. Free up funds from your kitbag and get paid fast. Find out how much MPB will pay you HERE.

00:00:00 - Start
00:00:27 - Welcome
00:03:50 - Competitions
00:07:30 - The six ages of Nicholas Cage
00:35:06 - 4K Blu-ray news
00:35:32 - 12 Monkeys 4K Blu-ray first thoughts
00:42:02 - Wild Things 4K Blu-ray review
00:47:58 - Candyman 4K Blu-ray review
00:51:50 - Singin' in the Rain 4K Blu-ray review
00:56:15 - Netflix May 2022 highlights
01:00:47 - Should Mark watch Severance? Yes. Yes, he should.
01:04:37 - Other April highlights
01:06:46 - Podcast competition

These links will be live following the live stream

Direct Link

To watch the video with the live chat, click the YouTube logo in the video window
Support us by making a donation at avforums / Streamlabs
Become a Patron at AVForums is creating Videos | Patreon
Your donations help us to improve the website, publish more editorial and make better podcasts. Thank you.

Last edited:

MrMrH

Great podcast, I have always enjoyed Nicholas Cage movies, one that wasn’t in your list is what I consider half of a great double bill is “City of Angels”.
In my mind his character in that and “Willy’s Wonderland” are one and the same.

I’ve been looking forward to Unbearable Weight for ages and can’t wait to see it.

Jessica Noir

Cage has always been very hit and miss for me, but that's part of his appeal. Pig was a great reminder of just how powerful he can be. The scene in the restaurant with his old sous chef was a great example of what he can do with a director keeping him reigned in.

Speaking of The Dying of the Light. When the film was taken out of the hands of cinema's favourite mad uncle, Paul Schrader, he released his version onto torrent sites to spite his producers.

The Death of Superman Lives is an interesting doc, but the interviewer is the late Jon Schnepp who seems to be on a mission to make producer Jon Peters the bad guy. He includes a section where Peter's has to interrupt his interview to take a call as if it's the height of bad manners, not what might happen when you're interviewing someone as busy as him. And yes, this is the same Jon Peters whom Bradley Cooper would play in Licorice Pizza.

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
Cage has always been very hit and miss for me, but that's part of his appeal. Pig was a great reminder of just how powerful he can be. The scene in the restaurant with his old sous chef was a great example of what he can do with a director keeping him reigned in.

Speaking of The Dying of the Light. When the film was taken out of the hands of cinema's favourite mad uncle, Paul Schrader, he released his version onto torrent sites to spite his producers.

The Death of Superman Lives is an interesting doc, but the interviewer is the late Jon Schnepp who seems to be on a mission to make producer Jon Peters the bad guy. He includes a section where Peter's has to interrupt his interview to take a call as if it's the height of bad manners, not what might happen when you're interviewing someone as busy as him. And yes, this is the same Jon Peters whom Bradley Cooper would play in Licorice Pizza.

I didn't get into it too much on the podcast, but yeah I'd heard it was ripped from him savagely and he had his own version put out on the sly. TBF, Schrader isn't perfect, but this film was a MESS, so I would be interested in seeing what he really intended - have you seen his cut?

Jessica Noir

I didn't get into it too much on the podcast, but yeah I'd heard it was ripped from him savagely and he had his own version put out on the sly. TBF, Schrader isn't perfect, but this film was a MESS, so I would be interested in seeing what he really intended - have you seen his cut?
Sadly no. I know Cage was in the middle of his DTV phase, but it also had Anton Yelchin and had Nicholas Winding Refn as a exec. producer so it had some serious talent behind it.

richp007

Distinguished Member
I've not listened to it all yet, but I'm outraged there's even a segment later to try and convince a reviewer to watch Severance?

What on earth is going on!! :eek: o_O

Mark Costello

Distinguished Member
I've not listened to it all yet, but I'm outraged there's even a segment later to try and convince a reviewer to watch Severance?

What on earth is going on!! :eek: o_O
Technically this was about persuading said reviewer to finish Severance given the first 20 minutes of the first episode bored the absolute knockers off him......a subtle but significant difference I think you'll find......

richp007

Distinguished Member
Technically this was about persuading said reviewer to finish Severance given the first 20 minutes of the first episode bored the absolute knockers off him......a subtle but significant difference I think you'll find......

That old chestnut hey :D

Severance is one of the best debut seasons I've watched for years. Apple are killing it these days with their content.

MrMrH

Apple are absolutely knocking it’s out of the park. I’ve cancelled Disney+, only pay for Prime as when combined with free shipping they together provide enough value to keep it, and I only keep Netflix because of the fact my in-laws’ are sharing my account (as I very rarely watch anything on it) … but Apple is compelling with its very high quality, great movies and shows and the price is decent too.

KBD

Yesterday I saw that big bin of $5 USD movies again. The vast majority are DVDs, but ALL the blu-rays are Cage films, ALL of them:

PXL_20220514_130848197.MP.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom