1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Movies discovery service in mce2005 for the UK

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by Werner, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Werner

Werner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    *****THIS WILL BREAK YOUR MCE INTERFACE UNTIL I GET MORE HELP WITH VISUAL STUDIO.NET****

Well, in one of the more popular threads it was asked if we could have the movies part showing as the third icon for mce2005 under the "my tv" option. Currently, this part (discovery service) is only available if your mce2005 machine is in the states or canada.

http://htpcnews.com/images/mce2k5/home.jpg is an example of the bit I am talking about

I have some success with this, and would hope to explain what I did and where I need some help now. This is a private thing and may possibly bork your computer totally.

Firstly, you need resource hacker. Or any other winPE resource editor. Open the file ehshell.exe in c:\windows\ehome

Browse with your resource editor to the only xml file you find (in resource hacker it wa sunder 23/neutralstrings.xml/1033
    Go to the last few lines, find this part
    <string id="Discovery.Supported.CA" value="true"
    and change to <string id="Discovery.Supported.GB" value="true"

Now, discovery service is available to USA and GB, instead of USA and CA

Ok, now, the file has changed, so system file protection will kick in. Dont bother with all the registry hacks, just go to c:\windows\system32\restore open filelist.xml and add this line to the <exclude> section near the very top
    <REC>%windir%\ehome</REC>

this wil make file protection not care about the ehome directory.
    Now, save your new ehshell.exe file to c:\windows\ehome as well as to c:\windows\system32\dllcache

Within a few seconds windows will prompt to overwrite the file, select "cancel". It will then ask if you want to keep the file, select "yes"

Double click ehshell.exe or start mce shell, and, hopefully, your machine should spit out an error message about strong name validation. If this happens then you have done the correct thing. Try start it again, the error should persist. If it doesnt then that means you havent turned turned off file protection for the ehome directory, or havent replaced the copy in dllcache and windows has replaced the "changed" file with a pristine version.

The error occurs because ehshell.exe is signed, and checks the signature when it starts up, and because we have modified it the signature is no longer valid.
    TO DO: find some kind soul with visual studio.net2003 to follow these instructions
    http://www.codeproject.com/dotnet/NeCoder03.asp
    to remove the signature checking to make sure we now have the third icon.
    :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

2. mclay

mclay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    good post! I am a software developer for a living and will give this a look.... will post when i have a result....

3. mclay

mclay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    had another look at the codeproject link... this can be achieved with the .net SDK as well if anyone else is having a go.

4. Werner

Werner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just tried with the sdk
    I got my ehshell.il compiled again using ilasm, but the resulting exe file errors out quite badly. Damn tired right now, plus I'm not a programmer by nature, so just figure things out....I will leave this to you experts...the seeds have been planted though:)

5. mclay

mclay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi werner,do u use IM like msn?

6. Werner

Werner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well, I found this post on tgb
    http://www.thegreenbutton.com/community/shwmessage.aspx?ForumID=27&MessageID=78447&TopicPage=1
    followed the instructions for changing ehshell.exe but either
    1) I am thick (VERY possible)
    2) I am using the wrong sdk (1.0a wont install on my system here)
    3) it is past my bedtime
    but I cant get it to work. I compile my ehshell.exe and it generates errors on executing. I have found (on my system) that if ehshell.exe is not in the windows\ehome directory I get an error, but it isnt helping me right now...too much of a long day.

A tip, if you use ldasm, and go file-->dump it will dump an *.il and a *.res. Best plan of attack I can think of is open *.il in wordpad, edit out the "hash algorithms" part. Open *.res in resource hacker, change the xml file, compile, save
    Then, use ilasm as in
    ilasm.exe /resource:ehshell.res /exe ehshell.il

this creates a valid pe executable, with the correct mce icon, but still errors.

Yes, I have msn messenger
    pm me your msn addy and I can add you...two heads work better than one etc etc etc.

7. Werner

Werner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well, I finially got it compiled again, but still no thrid icon...bang goes that idea...

8. mclay

mclay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ouch (given the time) :)

was a very impressive attempt!

9. Werner

Werner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    scratch everything above, found an easier way, courtesy of another forum

You need to change language settings to US by going into Control Panel > Regional and Language Settings > Languages Tab > Details Button and change default input language to United States
    Then we need to fool PC into using UK Keyboard layout under the United States as Langauge....
    The registry keys below will change to US 409 codepage BUT will retain UK keyboard layout as the UK DLL will be loaded instead of the US one meaning your keys are properly mapped!

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layouts\00000409]
    "Layout File"="KBDUK.DLL"
    "Layout Text"="United Kingdom"
    "Layout Display Name"="@%SystemRoot%\\system32\\input.dll,-5000"
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout\DosKeybCodes]
    "00000409"="uk"
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Settings\MCE.GlobalSettings]
    "systemGeoISO2"="US"

voila! now I have a movies icon

10. mclay

mclay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    excellent..... didnt quite work for me... seems too easy to get something wrong! lol...

11. Werner

Werner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just follow the steps one by one. The important part is the bit about control panel....that will activate the movie icon (as well as the registry change to geoiso2)

The rest of the changes is to ensure the keyboard remains a uk layout, even though you have selected US. They wil only take effect after a reboot

Attached Files:

12. mclay

mclay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol ok i get it, changed the registry, and the settings, and windows changed it back. lol Ill keep at it!

13. chrise

chrise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Werner you are a genius or at least whoever worked this out is/was.

Works like a dream here..

Manty thanks

Chris

14. mclay

mclay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    did you guys delete the UK entry under the keyboard layouts so ther is only one to choose? Can I assume the locale of your pc is still UK?

sorry to sound so blinkin thick, but I changed all of these and the registry just resets itself, can only think that there is something else that I have set somewhere.

Matt

15. chrise

chrise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    It worked exactly as Werner says using Regedit and only copying the text between the quotes.

So far the thumbnails are not loading in the guide (I assume these do in the US) but the information is correct for UK including genres etc. One of the hidden parts of MCE 2005 I particular wanted.

16. CTID

CTID

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    excellent work werner - much appreciated. I can't wait to try this tonight. BTW what was the other forum?

17. Werner

Werner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the thumbnails work fine if you select to view actors, etc. If you just click on what movies are on now or next, I dont get thumbnails either.

the other forum was a bit of a search through www.thegreenbutton.com to put two and two together. I posted my original decompiling thoughts there, and got some clues from responses.

To be honest, I really like the movie service, it's almost like browsing the web in that each actor can be linked to another actor viw 3 steps etc etc (or whatever that theory is). You can pull up a movie, view the actors details, view other movies by the actor, then maybe find on eyou like, so you select "view similar movies" and I can spend hours just reading up on movies I never knew existed.

2 THUMBS UP
    :thumbsup:

18. CTID

CTID

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    ahh, that'll be the Kevin Bacon game. Any actor can be linked to another via Kevin Bacon by 6 connections, as Kevin Bacon is the centre of the entertainment universe :)

19. chrise

chrise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    It is really wierd why Microsoft do not offer this as default in the UK I assume it is a copyright issue.

After a morning playing it really is one hell of a toy if you are a movie fan - makes having terminal flu quite bareable.

20. mclay

mclay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    big movie fan here.... :( going to have another stab at this later!

21. mclay

mclay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok i got it... lol wasnt me being thick (im sure!). It didnt seem to be applying the reg change. I exported the key, edited that and then reapplied it. voila!

Thanks werner.... i am the biggest movie fan!

22. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Working here too.

Good work :smashin: .

23. gweilo

gweilo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So close - can see the movies icon but keyboard thinks it's US...

24. Werner

Werner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    reboot for keyboard changes to take effect

25. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    I've been trying to get this to work, but no joy.

I've checked and re-checked all the changes that needed to be made, and they are. The keyboard is set to US, but acting like a UK one, so that all seems ok. But no new icon has appeared, nada, nothing, zip, zlich . . . . . . :mad:

Anyone got any ideas??

Giz.

26. PaulBS

PaulBS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Works fine, no probs. Great work Werner. :clap:

Paul

27. mclay

mclay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Giz,
    I would export the correct key, edit the export, and then double click the new file. Thats how I got it to work....

28. Dave_M

Dave_M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had this working fine, but then reinstalled MCE and applied the patch again.

Now it kind of works, but I get error messages saying that 'Automatic Download' is not enabled, so it won't show some of the information - and restricts itself to films that are in the guide.

Any ideas?

29. Werner

Werner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Long shot here, but perhaps it's got something to do with your internet connection setup within MCe.

Part of the first time wizard is to ask you what type of internet connection you have, where you can select always on, manual downlaod, or downlaod when connected. Sounds like you need to go investigate that menu....maybe under settings-->general (although I dont have an mce machine nearby to confirm)

30. cbemoore

cbemoore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks to Werner's posts on this thread, I've managed to enable the Movie Browser and I couldn't be without it now! Thanks Werner!

But one thing still annoys me. When I browse to a movie and display the movie info, only the first few lines of the movie summary are displayed. Is there any way to display the complete summary? I've tried everything and I'm running out of ideas....

Cheers
    Chris